Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Clothes for older girls if you do not sew
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Clothes for older girls if you do not sew Next Topic  

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  7:15:19 PM  Show Profile
My 6 1/2 year old dd needs clothes for fall. Problem is, I am having a *hard* time finding fun, inexpensive, modest (no low rider jeans), items for her. It seems as the older she gets, the harder 2nd hand clothes shopping gets.

Any advice? We have done Lands End dresses,but she is starting to get breast buds (tmi, I know!) and they do not "look right" imho on her anymore. Same with our old standard of 2nd hand Hanna Andersson Playdress sets.

She loves skirts and tops and dresses as long as she can have leggings underneath when playing outside and climbing trees at school.

She's in a size 8-10 right now if that helps, please spam me!

I am Jenn. Wife to A, mama to S, B, L and V.

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  7:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Your quest to modestly outfit a young female has only begun. Thankfully my two have outgrown that stage and can actually wear clothing that "looks" their age. Shoes were my biggest issue. When they get into women's sizes, but are still young girls. of course they would want sandals and dressy shoes that were WAY too old for them. Nothing "girlie" in their size.

It's great that she is willing to wear skirts and leggings. I would suggest the thrift stores from a different perspective. I will take dresses and cut the tops off and make skirts out of them. Or take a skirt and add a t-shirt top to make a dress. A decent button up cotton blouse and add the skirt to it. And as far as pants go... My girls would always check out the boys section for jeans. THey seem to fit better. They are typically more modest and often cheaper.

Good luck. Been there!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  3:46:40 PM  Show Profile
I don't have that problem quite yet since my daughter is only 2. I do strive to dress her modestly though. Not sure what you're looking for but another sister recomended this site to me: http://www.katiesmercantile.com/index.html
and I have purchased clothes from them for my daughter and myself. I love that site! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  5:10:09 PM  Show Profile
My daughter is 2 and I sometimes can't believe the clothes that are "supposed" to be for her age. I shop a lot at Lands End (which I know you mentioned) and LL Bean. I agree with the thrift store idea too. I find that some of the "older" styled are more modest, especially brands like OshKosh.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Clothes for older girls if you do not sew Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page