Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  11:41:53 AM  Show Profile
O.K., I am really excited! I just ordered my woodcook stove! We've been saving and finally got enough. Does anyone have any experience with a Kitchen Queen? It has a huge firebox and will heat the whole house.
Do any of you make and can lemon curd? Do you have a recipe? How long is it good for if you can it?

All of creation sings Your praise!

Edited by - Singing Tree Farm on Jul 20 2010 11:42:47 AM

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  09:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cari, my mom has a woodcook stove and she loves and adores it! I've always wanted to make lemon curd but haven't yet. I know I've seen a few recipes for it in my masive cookbook collection, if I come across one I'll post it!

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cari
I have made lemon curd on occasions and the recipe I use is

3 Lemons
7oz superfine sugar
4oz unsalted butter
2 extra large eggs
2 extra large egg yolks

Grate the lemon rind and squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl put it over a saucepan of simmering water and add the sugar and butter. Beat all the eggs together - pour the egg mixture through a sieve into the other mixture and whisk until combined.
Contuinue heating until it thickens, then can it.

It should keep for about 3 months unopened but once opened you need to store it in the refrigerator and eat within a week.

I have substituted to lemons for the same amount of oranges and made orange curd before and my friend has made lemon and lime curd which was delicious.

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
My wood cookstove is geing installed as we speak! We'll have to swap recipes:) I bought an older meal master, but it is in pretty good condition. Let us know how your lemon curd turns out:)

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Sue, thank you for your recipe.
Ashley, how exciting! Good for you! When I was growing up my Mom had a beautiful antique woodcookstove. For some time we didn't have any other cook stove. All our food was cooked/baked with it. I have ALWAYS wanted an antique one of my own, but that would mean that I would have to have two wood stoves in my kitchen because we heat with wood. So I made the REALLY HARD decision to get this heating and cooking one. To tell you the truth now, I am excited about it. Can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  7:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Cari
Hubby & I looked at these after I read your post...HOW COOL!!!! We may be biting the bullet soon too! We already heat with wood, but the water heating factor is so appealing. We have huge electric bills in spite of not running air, hanging clothes outside & using all cold water for laundry.
Where did you get your stove?? & what color???
I like both the black & the white, but if we get this, the stove may be in the living room, so black will probably be the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  03:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I bet you are excited! I can't wait for you to get yours and have it installed. Mine has added a nice looking flavor to the house, something different that you don't see everyday and I like that. That must have been a wonderful experience as a child to watch your family cook on a wood cook stove) I keep seeing a nice pot of soup on a low simmer when the weather is cool. Now, I can't wait for cooler weather. I'd love to see a pic of yours. This one has a really small fire box, but if we can make it last for 5 years it will have paid for itself and then some.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  5:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I got black. I first researched it on line for a long time and then lo and behold! the amish whomakeshem used to be local before moving to Indiana? I think. Anyway there is a local amish man who is a dealer for him. If you are serious about buying one I can email you his phone number because he is much more reasonable. For instance, these are the prices I found
PRICES-------------ON LINE----------------LOCAL AMISH DEALER
Large model 480-----2,345-------------------1,945
Small model 380 ----2,245-------------------1,845
SS Water reservoir----305---------------------270
Summer grate----------100----------------------70
Shipping----------375-400---------------------175
Needless to say, I was very excited to find the local dealer! Just a note, the online price is an independent dealer. His price is 400 more for white. It also comes in baby blue I guess.
Ashley, I have really fond memories with the stove. Food is better somehow. Yogurt made in the warming ovens-yum! Pizza! Bread! Ooh, I can't wait!

Edited by - Singing Tree Farm on Jul 22 2010 5:30:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic woodcook stove & lemon curd Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page