Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Unemployment...I need a routine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Unemployment...I need a routine Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  01:50:33 AM  Show Profile
So, my job of 4 years was outsourced to India this spring. I had plenty of warning, did a lot of saving over the past year, and was kinda looking forward to a summer vacation of sorts. I had plans for the house, the garden, all kinds of fun projects.

But the week my job ended, I was offered a temporary job as a Census enumerator. Total craziness ensued for the 8 weeks of the Census...my husband was doing the Census job also on top of his regular 40 hr/week dayjob, and for a couple of weeks we were both working 60 or more hours.

Now the Census is over, and for the past two weeks I've been completely at loose ends. The house is a mess, the husband is exhausted and has used all his vacation time on Census activities, and I can't seem to get into a regular routine. I've heard that it takes two weeks of doing something to make it a habit...and I'm afraid I'm well on the way to bad habits (like reading MJF at 4 AM).

Any suggestions for getting into a healthy and productive routine? I really don't want to squander this period of unemployment. I want to use the time off to learn new skills, make my house run more efficiently, and generally stay on top of things so I can decide what to do next. What do you do to keep yourself on track, especially if you don't have a job outside the home to set your schedule?

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  04:46:47 AM  Show Profile
I don't see anything bad about reading MJF at 4 AM! LOL First thing is get your house in order. Tackle one room at a time. After that is done you can easily go through each one every morning and straighten up. Then make lists they help to keep you on track and when you check something off you feel accomplished. Being at home all day, it's easy to get side tracked, but you only live once. Do take some time each day to just breathe and be.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  05:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Good advice Diane....I too recently have been struggling with how to accomplish things instead of getting so sidetracked throughout the day...so I enrolled in a 3 part Choice management class with a life style coach...it was awesome! Anyway, this is what they suggest: Get a day planner...yes, IPOD's, & other electronic gadgets are nice, but studies have found that the Day Planner that you write in everyday or look at is more productive...go through and list all the necessary appointments(fixed)like Dr. appt.s, Kid's programs, Hubby appointments...anything that is a definite fixed appt. then go through and start listing the things that you want to do. For example: you want to clean out the spare room..what does that look like? what will it take from me to get that done? list the those things and pencil in what time that will take....
Always use pencil...so if something changes you can make the change and add something else there...let's say you have something cancel...then fill in your slot with something you wanted to do but didn't have time! Franklin Planner has a great website with organizational tips on it! It does help! Then your day isn't going crazy hopping from one thing to another...Enjoy your change of life plans...be sure to pencil in some fun time....spa/hair treatments...tea with friends...virtual porch time! LOL! I even pencil in my swap time now, so I know I will be working on swap stuff between 7-8pm! that keeps me a little on track...and maybe limit computer time to an hour in the morning and an hour at night...you'll figure it out!! Have fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  09:56:42 AM  Show Profile
I made my own planner with a binder and forms I found online. I like things that are more me specific than the generic planners have. I have my own clipboard with a legal pad and hooks on the back so it hangs on the shopping cart and my kitchen curtian rod for my shopping list. If I have the baby with me when I shop it can't hang in the seat portion where she is, so I hang it on the front facing me and read it around the baby. I have spent almost a year using and redoing my binder when life calls for a new type of form or organizer sheet. You can't change the pages in those store bought things.

I have put myself into my house this month and totally rodone it. I choose one room to pick up, then tear apart. I took all the things out of all the cabinets in my kitchen and totally rearranged it so things were more usable for me. Then I went through all my knick knacks and stuff and decorated it the way I wanted it done. I was able to wipe out and scrub every surface and put everything away for the first time. I found out that when I don't just shove stuff where ever I actually have a lot more room than I thought I would. I even cleaned out and reorganized my fridge and upright freezer. It took 3 days to get it all done, but it takes about 15 minutes to clean it now! The other rooms should only take a day or two as they don't have as many cabinets and such.

As far as making myself stick to a schedule, I'm no good at that. I simply have a weekly major chore list to follow. I have one or two major chores for each day on it. Major chores are anything that takes more than 30 minutes or requires a trip somewhere. I have laundry, shopping, going to the nieghbors to pick fruit, sweep and mop the floor, clean the chicken coop, clean the rabbit cage, weed the garden, can jelly, can veges, and scub the bathrooms. I have them split up for different days and sometimes I have to switch laundry with something else depending on the weather. I have it posted in the kitchen and my binder stays on the table where I can see them all the time.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

LeeW
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Isleta
Raymore MO
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  10:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Hello Amie C., While reading some other posts on MJF, someone recommended a site called flylady.net which has info on creating your own planner like angela suggested, and scheduling your time. My suggestions are: get up early in the morning, just like an "outside job," make your bed, get dressed in real clothes, even if it's sweatpants - no pj lounging - when I wore pjs around the house, I felt like I was home sick. Best wishes to you!

FG #1712

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." -Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  07:23:44 AM  Show Profile
I am a list person. I have been unemployed since Dec 1 (business closed) and now at the start of the week I make a list of the major things I want to accomplish around here, then I have a second list that I write the daily chores I need to get done like errands or washing or whatever. I find I stay on track and get a lot accomplished. But most importantly, I don't let my self get annoyed with myself if I don't finish my lists. My goal each week is three major projects and my daily I try very hard to finish. Seems to work for me. I also agree that you have to get up, and get yourself ready each morning and keep that routine on track and this way the morning doesn't get away from you. Have fun and enjoy yourself as well. I'm not sure how long it's been since you were last unemployed but this is the first time for me in 32 years and I am enjoying each day very much.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  8:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, this all sounds like good advice and I'll look into all of it. The hard part about being unemployed is the uncertainty about the future. I don't know how long I'll be without work, so it's hard to plan. What project will I have time to finish? How much money can I afford to spend? What activities are more likely to improve my job skills and which are just things that would be fun? It doesn't help that my husband keeps calling me from work and asking me to do this or that..."since you're not doing anything" lol
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  8:24:04 PM  Show Profile
BTW, some of the projects I'm trying to plan and prioritize: put up at least two new sets of bookshelves on the walls, learn to cook on an open hearth/woodstove, learn to use the sewing machine I bought at a garage sale 3 years ago (!), work on digital photography, try a blog, paint the woodwork throughout the house, and take a bunch of classes to brush up my computer skills. It's such a mixed bag. I made a start today by calling a local living history museum and picking up a flyer of classes from Joann Fabrics.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  12:04:02 AM  Show Profile
That's a great start!

My Hubby used to do the mid day phone call thing. I put a stop to it by giving him a honey do list that he was to make for me. He had to make it on sunday night and go over it with me to be sure I understood exactly what he wanted. Then, he could only add to it if it was an emergency or very important. If he called with something and it wasn't super time sensitive we would discuss when I could fit it into my schedule.

The weekends are kept kinda loose and the chores or whatever needs done is done together. We have spent many weekends talkin across the row of cabbage we're weedin or around the sheet of plywood I'm holdin up while he nails it in place. He understands that I put in many more hours cleanin, cookin, launderin, and carin for the kids than he does at work. He tells me all the time I need to find my timeclock so I can punch out once in a while. I do get to call a 'union break' if I am overwhelmed. He has cooked quite a few dinners with the baby climbin his leg while I'm on my 'union break' in the van sittin at the bottom of the hill readin my book. The neighbors always look at me strange and a few have called my Hubby to see if we are fightin or somethin, and he has explained the 'union break' to them. I passed one of my neighbors a while back on the way into town. She was parked on the side of the road listenin to the radio. As I slowed down to check on her she just grinned at me and said I'm on my union break. I laughed, waved, and drove on. I guess I've 'unionized' the housewives in my neighborhood! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  03:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amie C,
It's tough to suddenly go from 60hr work week to, well leisure time!
A good way to start your "good habits" is pretty simple. . .although the first week will really challenge your inner voice that says "NO I don't want to!!" LOL

Set your alarm to get up at your normal time ( when you were working) when it goes off. . .get up. . . no snooze alarm. If needed, put the alarm clock where you need to get out of bed to turn it off. Now, start your morning routine, coffee, shower, get dressed, do your hair & make-up etc. Once your "ready" that is when you start on your To-do list. Daily chores, run your errands and one major project to tackle.
Won't be long before it is simply routine and you will be amazed at all you have accomplished!

Now, accountability is important, so the night before, be sure to share with someone what your plans are for the next day. . . then this person will hold you accountable and you won't want to offer up excuses. . you will want to show several things accomplished on your list.

Oh, one more thing, keep your daily list easy. . don't try to tackle all the laundry, ironing, dishes, errands and a major project in a day. . . ain't going to happen. . . be specific, like two loads of laundry-washed, dried and folded, wash dishes, clean stove. . .you get the idea. The more specific you are the better you will be at getting it done!

Have fun and let me know how you do!!

Joanna #566
"Keeping Traditions Alive A Stitch At A Time"
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  2:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone else- start your day at the time you were used to when you worked. Anf them pretend your tasks are your job- because they are!
Deb

10& Off all Ready Made Tutus @

http://fairiesflowersandfireflys.blogspot.com

Christmas in July @

http://pilgrimsandpioneersprimitives.blogspot.com

http://oldesaltboxscents.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Unemployment...I need a routine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page