Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  11:01:58 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering what the expected shelf life is for pickled vegetables, etc. I usually use what I can each year and have never been concerned if a jar was older that 1-1/2 years old. I was cleaning out my pantry/storage area and found a few cases of pickles, beets, and berries from 2007. That was the year I had a stroke and my boss died and I was forced into retirement. These cases were pushed back and I did not realize they were there. I have discarded the contents, but wondered if they would have been safe.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile
As long as they are sealed and have been kept in a cool darkish place they will be fine. We are eating 2006 tomatoes now since I have had some good years of tomatoes for some time. The pickle and berries may be softer than usual..but you could use them somehow for sure. You would certainly be able to tell by looking, smelling and listening when you open that jar if the contents were not good. I would trust 2007 things that I canned for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  12:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I try to rotate my canned fruit/veggys etc, but sometimes, some will get missed and I find them a few years later, but as Jenny said, they should be fine if the seal is good, and of course if they smell good.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks loads for your input. I just found another case of pickled beets. Think I'll open one and see how it tastes. The one I discarded seemed okey, but I just wasn't sure. Guess I should have asked first, then thought about discarding.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Shelf life for pickles, etc.? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page