Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Any Suggestions for Sinus Infection?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Any Suggestions for Sinus Infection? Next Topic  

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I would love any suggestions for help on getting rid of a sinus infection!! I have fibromyalgia with food and chemical sensitivities and a big part of that is due to systemic yeast. I was on a lot a powerful antibiotics most of my life due to sinus problems, allergies and tonsillitis. I think this is a big contributor to my health issues now among other things. I really want to avoid antibiotics again and have been able to keep these things under control for the last couple of years naturally. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble kicking this one and it has been going on for two weeks and is getting worse and not better. I have ear pain and pressure, sinus pressure and drainage etc. It's really flaring up my fatigue and I'm feeling really worn our by the whole thing. Here's what I have been doing:

I already take tons of vitamins and a protein drink smoothie every day.

I have been using a grapefruit seed nasal spray 2-3 times a day for the last week.

I have been doing hot and cold packs on my sinuses and ears(this usually takes care of it)

This is a really bad year for allergies and I think it's just keeping everything aggravated. Sorry for the all the whining, I just have so much I need to be doing and I'm feelin' weary. I would love any ideas that any of you may have had luck with for this sort of thing. My system can't handle most medications and I even have to do super low doses on the homeopathic remedies.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Sorry girls! I should have scrolled down before I posted, but would still love to hear any other ideas!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  6:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever tried a neti pot? I haven't but I know many people that swear by them.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  6:49:43 PM  Show Profile
The Neti pot is supposed to be wonderful, in the meantime why not try this. I did this one time when I had such a bad sinus infection I thought I would die.
Get pure essential oil of peppermint from a good company such as Aura Casia- beware of imitation products. Get a bowl of boiling water and put a few drops of the peppermint essential oil - put a towel over your head to make a sort of tent and breathe in those vapors - don't get too close to the bowl or you may burn your eyes. As you are inhaling those vapors, massage the sinus area with your fingers. Do this a few times a day to get everything moving and out of there.
If you infection gets too bad to treat, get to the dr. Sinus infections are nothing to fool with.
Good luck - I know how bad they hurt!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  6:57:31 PM  Show Profile
hi,
I had had a sinus infection for 3 months last year, going through 3 rounds of antibiotics to no avail..finally I tried a sinus spray that uses alot of natural ingredients called Sino-Fresh it is about $15 a bottle and you can find it at Walmart and Kmart pharmacy. that in conjunction with over the counter Claritin D cleared up the infection in 3 days. it had gotten so bad that even my teeth were hurting..so now whenever I have problems arise I reach for the sino fresh.hope this helps.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  5:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Missy,
I have acupuncture done for my sinuses, wow.
She uses about 6 to 8 points on me,
either side of my nose in the crease, right on the cheek bones, above my eyes about mid forehead, and another about 1 to 2 inches above my hairline, toward the end of my eyebrows.
The strongest ones are the either side of my nose! wow does that take care of me.

Also, remove dairy from your diet for a couple weeks, made a big difference for me (Before, I thought I was going to die if I gave up dairy).
Now I know about what my tolerance level is and try to stay below it.
Have had sinus problems since I was about 7 or 8 years old.
Now I only have problems that are self inflected (too much dairy).
Just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  7:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Missy -

Have you every tried rinsing your sinuses? You can buy an over the counter item in the pharmacy called SinuRinse - it comes with premixed packages of what is basically saline solution and baking soda. Use it with warm water and you basically squirt up your nose keeping one nostril open until it runs out the other side or down your throat. Sounds gross, I know, but I swear by it. I haven't had a sinus infection for years. One caution though is that if your ears are plugged, you will need to wait since the added pressure is dangerous.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!!
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  05:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Hi Missy!
I use a neti pot once a day when I'm feeling healthy, twice a day when it's allergy or cold season. It keeps my allergies at bay, as well as colds which normally would always lead to sinus infections for me. I haven't had one in years. As far as allergies are concerned, I have only had to take allergy medicine two times in the past year. If you do a search, somewhere there is another post about this topic with links to where you can a neti pot. You can usually find them at healthy food stores. Karen P is right about the dairy. Milk contains casein, which causes the body to produce more mucous than necessary. I could never give it up either, but cutting it out of your diet until the infection goes away can make a big difference.

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Any Suggestions for Sinus Infection? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page