Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What to do with all my vegetables?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with all my vegetables? Next Topic  

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  08:41:35 AM  Show Profile
I joined a local CSA to get organic vegetables and support my local farmers. I got a box of radishes and beets and some spinach and boston lettuce. I know how to cook the spinach and I can use the lettuce for a salad but what do I do with the beets and radishes? My DH likes the radishes in the salad. I want to pickle them like my mom used to with just salt and water. What do I do with beets? Is there a good vegetarian cookbook out there to tell me how to cook with all the fruits and vegetables I'll be getting with my CSA box every week?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile
This should be helpful. http://www.farm-garden.com/inthekitchen/vegetable-sheets

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Invite me to dinner .. that'll take care of a bunch of 'em! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
just boil the beets in water, cutting off the tops. just until you can easily fork em'. also protect your counters from red stains.they are so yummy, just dont be surprised when your urine turns pink! They clean us up real well! Enjoy!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  1:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Cook the beets until they are tender - oh, wait, about beets - don't cut the stems all the way
off, leave an inch or so on them so they don't bleed all the color out, and cook with the skins on.
So, ok, you've cooked them 'til they are tender, you peel the skin off, then you can dice them
or slice them and then make a mixture of white vinegar, some water, and some sugar, and add
the beets and you have sweet and sour beets - oh my yummy, yummy! Make the concoction to
your liking - too much vinegar, add water to dilute, kind of thing. Experiment. I love beets!

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  7:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your replies. I did cook them and added a mixture of vinegar, sugar, water and they were yummy. I also took my spinach and added some potato and some carrot and made a bakeover with MJF Garlic Pesto Fry bread. My DH loved it. I can't wait to make some more with my box of veggies.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  7:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Just in case you haven't cooked the beets yet, and if you have...for future reference....I have a wonderful recipe for brazilian black beans. It calls for beets, which are cooked along with the black beans. It gives them a wonderful depth of flavor (and color), and then when the beets are done, you remove them & can use them as you please. I used to go to a brazilian restaurant & order them, and I finally figured out what made them so good! I love recipes that allow you to use ingredients in multiple ways. When I make the beans, I use the cooked beets to make a chilled beet salad on the side with goat cheese. Yum. I also have a great cookbook called "Eat Well. Stay Well" I love this book because it is arranged by vegetable/fruit/grain type, and then alphabetically. For instance, if I end up with way too many peaches, I can look up peaches & there are 2 pages of recipes. It has saved me in many a food dilemna. Ecspecially on those days when the market is closed and also when i have way too much of a particular thing. Good luck with your cooking!

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  08:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Robin! Folks on this board always have the best links!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  5:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Judes, Could you share your recipe for the Brazilian Black Beans. My husband loves beets and black beans. Thanks in advance.JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with all my vegetables? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page