Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 Permaculture, rain gardening and root cellaring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic Permaculture, rain gardening and root cellaring Next Topic  

jammomma
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Deb
Cleveland WI
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to learn more about sustainability through these three practices, on all scales, and I'd like to learn it through MaryJanes voice and experience.

Eat well, love well, sleep well

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  11:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Those are interests of mine too - although the only one I'm really ready to work on is root cellaring.
Welcome to the forum Deb!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  5:51:36 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to have a root cellar. We had a big unfinished basement at our old house that was great for storing things. I miss that. I do have a slight hill in the backyard I have thought would make a great place to dig one out. maybe one day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  07:17:13 AM  Show Profile
The nice thing about permaculture is that you can start on a small scale. I don't know if you've done any research on it, but you can start with one area. The idea is to mix perennials and annuals (veggies) and to arrange you Yard/farm layout in a way that makes sense. My BF is putting in a root cellar and I'm thrilled. We started a garden at his house this year and have lots of potatoes growing. I have a few different books for reference.

Best Growing

Edited by - Montrose Girl on Jul 21 2010 11:43:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

hsmommel
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Melissa

61 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Hum, root cellaring....I have a root cellar built into my house (trap door in kitchen floor), and I have no clue how to use it for food storge so I store everything else in there. :-D Would definitely be curious as to how to use it the way in which it was intended.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  04:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Deb,

Good topics! I'd love to know more about them, too. I've been fascinated with learning about permaculture and have been trying to figure out how to incorporate it into our yard bit by bit.

Re: root cellars My Dad has built one about every place he ever lived. Right now, at 80+ years old he has one under their back steps! Those and cold frames are his "must haves" wherever they live.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile
So... what is rain gardening?

Kyria
www.crossyr.blogspot.com

Sell Books Online at Cash4Books.net
http://www.cash4books.net/index.php?ref=122916
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Permaculture, rain gardening and root cellaring Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page