Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I need sewing help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need sewing help Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:03:30 PM  Show Profile
I am replacing trim on my flag corps girls uniforms for this year. They are black knit dance dresses and I am putting on confetti dot material and sequins. my problem is my machine which normally sews thru anything, it's snapping needles and breaking the thread! what am I doing wrong ! I have 5 done and have 12 to go. Help please !

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, maybe call your sewing centre or fabric store and ask if they have stronger needles. You may need something that will go through material such as denim and go with a heavier thread.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Are you able to post a picture of your trim that your adding to the uniforms? If you can, I may be able to help. . . it is either the needle, stitch your using or a combination of the two. However, I would need to see the trim to really give you the advise your needing.

Joanna #566
"Keeping Traditions Alive A Stitch At A Time"
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:49:40 PM  Show Profile

I would really appreciate any help, Hopefully you can see the trim on these pics

Edited by - pnickols on Jul 14 2010 4:51:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  05:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Okay, first question, is the wide piece that looks silver a stretch fabric? I think that one requires a needle for knits, also, you will need to lengthen your stitches from what your use to using to a longer one. It will help to also use a walking foot and go slow. . which is easier said than done( voice of experience here..hate sewing slow!)

For the red trim, a stronger needle such as one for denium might be a solution and I would be attaching with a zigzag stitch, adjust the width so that you can attach either straight down the middle without catching the sequins or on each side of the trim, again so it will zigzag over the sequins instead of through them.

Hope that helps, it's hard to describe something that we "automatically" do. . . if you still need help let me know

Joanna #566
JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  05:28:49 AM  Show Profile
I use to make all my daughters gymnastics leotards and also her dance costumes, it was aggravating when I had a problem, I found that the stretch material I did have to use a zig zag stitch. I had two machines at the time for some reason one would do good on stretch and the other. It could have been a tension situation.
jill
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  06:25:01 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the others about making sure you have the correct needle gauge. Also, does your machine automatically adjust tension? If not, you may need to play around with that.

Farmgirl Sister #37
http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  06:53:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ! Joanna, yes the silver is stretch, I find it helps to go slower but I think I do need a different needle, it seems to be harder to sew than the red trim. I will take your advice and thanks so much everyone for helping me !!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I made 30 lined dresses out of that sequin dot fabric...YUK! I had to use a needle for stretch fabric and pin like crazy to keep it feeding evenly. Eventually they all got done and looked really pretty, but I would never want to do that again!
Sequins can be machine sewn on. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a rolling foot and a longer stitch length like Joanna suggested. They aren't too expensive and will save you tremendous grief!
Looking at your photos brings back a lot of memories. I did costuming for 20 years...can't say that I miss it much though! :)
Di
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  4:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Diane, thanks, I needed to save some money by not buying new uniforms. our district is making them pay to be in marching band as it is. I just didn't realize what a chore this would be !
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  4:40:47 PM  Show Profile
Let us know how your making out and if it is going better or not. Be sure to post another picture of your finished outfits!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the ladies who suggested changing the needle. But also be sure you have the needle aligned correctly! I spent over an hour fussing with tension last weekend when I was breaking thread. I had just changed the needle and sure I checked that first, but I was thinking: "I've been sewing for years I think I know how to insert a needle! " Well, apparently...

Also, I'd check the little groove on the side of the needle and make sure that the thread has room to lie in it -- if you've chosen the right needle and thread pair it should. It's amazing how little things like that can make a difference, not that I speak from experience!

Best of luck with the uniforms. I hope your girls love them!

In sewing solidarity,

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  3:08:00 PM  Show Profile
thanks Hallie and everyone for the much needed advice :)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need sewing help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page