Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Please settle a "friendly" argument!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please settle a "friendly" argument! Next Topic  

Chassen
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Chassen
Columbus OH
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:48:53 AM  Show Profile
My mother in law gave me a beautiful jewelry box. I love it, but I already have two-one given to me by my gran and one given to me when my husbands gran passed. I definitely don't want to get rid of any of them because they mean something different and they are all different!
So the most recent one is all drawers, and I put it on my computer desk and I keep special things in it now-my memory card, scissors, embroidery thread for the item I'm currently working on, my crochet hooks, that type of thing.
The problem is my husband. He thinks I should use it for what it was made for-jewelry. I told him as long as it was used and loved, his mother wouldn't care. We haven't fought, just had some rolled eyes lol. Am I wrong in my thoughts?

Joy In All Things,
Chassie

City-bound for now! Looking for my little piece of heaven...

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Not at all. I would use it for what ever I could use it for. I use a hat box that my hubby got for me for mail. As long as you love it and use it, I don't think it matters.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  07:33:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I completely agree that as long as you love it and use it, it doesn't matter what it was designed for. Since you already have two, the new one would "go into the closet" if not used for something else. That goes along with the "repurposing" philosophy!!! Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  07:37:00 AM  Show Profile

Tell him to buy you a piece of jewelry to keep in the box.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  07:41:51 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like a great way to use it. I'd love to have something like that. I need organized.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Chassen
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Chassen
Columbus OH
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile
LOL Rosemary! Would you believe I have never received jewelry from him as a "surprise" gift? It's always us in the store (usually a new-age shop because I LOVE out-of-the-ordinary stones) and I point and say "Isn't that nice?". Next thing I know I'm wearing it, lol.

Kris, being organized...is not me lol. This box really helps me keep the cats out of my threads, however, which is why I love it. I try and get organized and then I say "forget it!" because I can't find anything!!

Thank you all for letting me know I'm not crazy! Heehee he's gonna come home, I'll show him this and he'll let me be. Or I'll call his mom. That solves everything eventually lol!!

Joy In All Things,
Chassie

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:21:20 AM  Show Profile
I have all the cute little boxes that my christmas gifts from my Hubby always come in on top of my supplies cabinet full of crayons, pens, pencils, rulers, and markers. They are supposed to hold jewelry or tea, but that doesn't work for me, and he's okay with it. He always gets me a Thomas Kincade tea cup for my collection or to replace one that got broke from too much use and they always come in a cute little box with a matching picture on it. I figure as long as it's used it's good and so does my Hubby. We're using a dog pen to house the chickens, so why not a jewelry box for thread! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

reddhedd
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kate
Lawrenceville Ga
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Just tell him it's a woman thing...when I can't get my husband to understand something that seems so simple to me and my GFs, I tell him it must be a chick thing!

He's a musician, and sometimes he'll get all excited about a mic stand, or some other piece of equipment that is makes little sense to me...so I tell him it's like that, a musician thing that I accept, but don't really "get".
He gets the concept, at least, and lets it drop.

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." --Lewis Grizzard
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Gently remind your hubby that she gave it to YOU not him, and you're sure she would rather see you using it in an alternate way than have it sitting on a closet shelf, unused. Men, they just don't get it, do they?

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile
As long as you find it useful and beautiful...what's the difference?

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:25:09 AM  Show Profile
As long as you love it and use it it does not matter. If his mother grew up in the depression years she would say you use what you have you make do with what you have and use everything. So repurposing is fine in my book!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile
You could ask your mother-in-law her thoughts on this issue. Then if it's fine with her that you use it as you wish (which you should), she could reassure your husband that your not doing wrong by using it that way.
You've actually given me and probably some of the other farm girls a great idea! Thanks!
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  12:23:00 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Melissa, call your mother in law and say "I love the jewelry box you gave me, I would like to keep it out so I can enjoy it by storing my sewing items in it. I know this isnt the traditional way to use it and I wanted to make sure that you felt comfortable with this because "hubby" is concerned that this may be disrespectful of your gift. Obviously this is not my intention."

Honestly, this sort of little nattering is why I cannot ever remarry. It drives me nuts.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Rosemary...maybe a nice 3 carat diamond ring would solve the dilema!...eh? I say any item that is cherished enough can be used for whatever purpose it serves.
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile
I too would use it for what you are using it for now :) This way you ARE loving it and it will keep your mother in law happy just because of that :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:43:50 PM  Show Profile

Chassie, the last piece of jewelry that I got from DH was the wedding ring, twenty eight years ago.
Sometimes I'll pick out silver earrings or a long chain necklace for myself, but I've never been into the dramatic things. I just bought a malachite pendant which will serve as an anniversary present in ten days.
Go to Top of Page

Chassen
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Chassen
Columbus OH
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
LMAO I called his mom because when he got home he started goin' off about it(just being a man, ya know?). She told me to hand him the phone. And...I could hear it lol. She told him that it was mine, I could do what I wanted with it, and if he didn't like it he needed to shush. She's from WV, a big family, so she's used to things being re purposed. He's not. When he got off the phone he goes "She loves you more than me, I swear.." roflmao This is a common complaint of his, but he's an only child-she always wanted a girl (heck, she called HIM Valerie up until he was born!!!!)
AmethystRose-I like malachite! I got myself a kyanite pendant last year. I love it. It's really hard to find around here, tho.

Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  5:17:38 PM  Show Profile
ahahahaha! This is funny, Stephanie! Where two women agree, let no man put asunder!

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile
I definitely agree with AmethystRose -- tell him now you have a large, empty place to keep all the terrific jewelry he's going to purchase for you and that he needs to clear his calendar for all day Saturday so the two of you can plan a major shopping trip. He'll never mention the thread again. LOL
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  03:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Boy I enjoyed reading this thread and the happy ending where your mother in law called!:) Have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mom-in-Law! The girls won. Yea! I agree, it is yours, you love it, you do what you want to with it. the end.

Happy Anniversary Rosemary!

Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile
I like what you are using it for. And what makes it special is your memories and love for the person who gave it to you. Love it, use it and remember her. You can still love your husband because he brings you special memories of his mother too.
delicia
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please settle a "friendly" argument! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page