Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I also roasted beets and sharing recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I also roasted beets and sharing recipe Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  07:15:13 AM  Show Profile
I pulled beets yesterday and roasted them. Many of you may already roast beets like me, but sharing anyway. I could eat these daily!

Peel (I peel ahead of time) several beets and cut into even sized wedges. Place them into a plastic or reusable plastic bag. Cut up 1 or 2 garden onions or shallots into slices and add to bag. I've used any type of onion. Drizzle them with olive oil, sea salt and dried thyme (from your herb garden of course ) Shake gently to coat.

Line a baking sheet with a piece of foil large enough to fold up over the beets (I bake mine on a pampered chef stoneware pan). Pour your beets onto the foil and place fresh cut sprigs of rosemary over the top of the beets. Fold in ends of foil to seal them up and bake at 400­°F for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. Depending on the size you cut your beets and how thick you layer is, may depend on cooking time.

My picky eaters can't stop eating these!

Visit my blog sites:

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  07:48:22 AM  Show Profile
That sounds so good, Kristina. I am going to have to chisel my poor beets out of the ground. It's SO hard out there right now. We have not had rain in a month. But I did see some so I know I have some big ones out there. I will try this soon. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  2:31:45 PM  Show Profile
I love beets and am always looking for new recipes, thanks!

I am Jenn. Wife to A, mama to S, B, L and V.
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristina I have a Harvard beet recipe, I was doing recipe card swaps with some of my scrapper friends and this was one for a side dish.

Harvard Beet recipe
6 medium size beets
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
wash beets cook in boiling water till tender remove skins, cut beets into thin slices or cubes. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt, add vinegar, let the sauce boil for 5 minutes. stir constantly. add butter, pour over the beets. Let stand for a few minutes to absorb the sweet sour flavor of sauce.
jill
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  2:36:51 PM  Show Profile
I love roasting beets. Actually gave my CSA my recipe because they had members saying that they didn't want beets because they only knew how to pickle them.
My daughter was sure she hated beets until she tried then roasted
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Patti Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Patti
Portland Oregon
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  2:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I soooo love beets and have all the ingredients to make them as the recipe states. I do a medley of either new potatoes or cut up ones with a bunch of olive oil, broken up fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.....but I boil them first a bit. Fine dining I say with a dollup of sour cream to boot!
Roasted beets here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless You!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  9:06:11 PM  Show Profile
We love beets. Ours are doing really well this year. I've never tried roasted beets. Thanks for the recipe. We use to make harvard beets when I worked at the nursing home. Yum!!! Loved them. Thanks for that recipe too. I can eat beets every day. They are so sweet! Thanks girls!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:15:32 PM  Show Profile
OOOOHHHH thanks for sharing the recipes, girls!! I love beets so much, but have to rely on the Farmers Market this year. I'll be picking some up next Saturday and I'll try both recipes!! Yeh for beets!! Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I also roasted beets and sharing recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page