Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The new American Girl Doll Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
It really does look like Mary Jane!!!!

I saw it today. My Bri wants an American Girl Doll for her sixth birthday. I talked her out of Build a Bear. For about the same money, I would rather buy her the American Girl Doll. At least I could make clothes for it.

I am saving my pennies for this doll. My Mom has offered to go half with me on it. Am I nuts to buy a 100.00 doll???? But, I am not buying a bunch of things. I know, the older she gets, the worse it will be. I won't pay that kind of money for a Build a Bear.

She loves the movies and the books. There are worse things.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:13:14 PM  Show Profile
I've not seen the new American Girl Doll, but my sil forked out the cash (and we, all of us bought outfits and accessories) for my niece, Ava's 5th Birthday this past December (and continued to buy for her Christmas gifts). It's great that you can make the clothes and save money, because to be honest, Ava hasn't looked at her ("had to have") doll since the end of January...hope your daughter isn't like my niece :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
No, actually she is very into dolls. But I didn't want to wait much longer. Some of my friends daughters are eight and out of the "doll phase".

I am planning on making some clothes for it for Christmas, along with a couple of rag dolls. Thanks to some very nice ladies on this Forum.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Ava said she was, but I think we all know different, now :) I think 8 does seem to be pushing it, though, that's the age group that the American Girl doll is marketed to. Children seem to be "growing" up faster these days...

Like I said, I think it's great you can sew some clothing for the doll--some of my favorite Barbie outfits were handmade.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  12:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
My 13 year old daughter still loves the American Girl dolls and books! They are expensive but they're so beautiful and we love the history dolls. I believe they recommend the AG dolls for 8 years and up, but they do have the AG baby doll line for the younger kids. They're absolutely adorable. Such fun accessories for all, but are also pricey. I always felt that they were an educational investment and my daughter still has a couple of the dolls she's hoping to get!@#$% Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Love them and add to them even though my daughter is 29. Bought Molly when she was 5 and she still sits on her shelf and changes her clothes every now and then.The Patterns they sell are HARD I gave up the time spent in making the clothes was worth the price.

I have gotten all the grand girls the babies.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Jul 07 2010 6:33:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile
The dolls are worth it, my daughter had her bitty baby since she was 3 or 4 and she is now 24. She has a few American Girl dolls also. Once, when some one had written on bitty baby's face with ink, I called the company to make arrangements to send her in for a new face. They told me to try benzoyl peroxide for a few days. It worked like a charm, you still cannot tell she was wrote on. The Company has always been very helpful. And my daughter and her dolls had matching outfit because I love to sew. If Bri takes good care of her things then you should just do it!! Much better than the bear store.
I have found if my children had less, the really loved their things and cared more for them. You will have the best time making clothes and enjoying the books. Let us know what you decide, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:02:21 PM  Show Profile
Both of my girls have the dolls. My oldest is 12 and pretty much just changes the clothes from time to time. My youngest is 9 and really enjoys hers. I find the books at our local resale shops & the library book store for cheap.

We found beds for the dolls at Ikea. They were $19.99 here's a link. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10101664 The dolls fit in them perfectly! Much cheaper than the "official" AG doll bed.

We've had the dolls for around 5 years now and they've held up so well. This is the first year the girls haven't asked to go down to the AG store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Amy, the dolls are so worth it! I am grown out of my dolls, but they were so much fun to dress up and play with when I was younger! I used to make up stories about them, and oh, I just had so much fun! I have a lot of them, and I actually learned a lot about history because of the ones I received as gifts.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  4:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Target has beds, horses, cars etc. That really can go with the American Girl Doll. They are the same size. I got my Granddaughter a horse for her American Girl Doll and she couldnt tell the difference.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  6:57:41 PM  Show Profile
My nieces all have American Girl dolls and they can be very educational, ie., if you've ever seen some of the TV movies about the historical dolls. I wanted to get them a subscription to AG magazine but it was too expensive! I was never into dolls when I was growing up but if they'd had the AG dolls back them, I probably would have wanted one.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  7:39:48 PM  Show Profile
..no not nuts at all... my daughter has one that she personalized when she was 8.... she is now 27. She still have her doll "Joy" . Her Great Grandfather built a chest for her to store her doll in... She has the memories of the process of placing the order for Joy... and she is looking forward to share Joy (carefully) with her daughters. My Hubby wants to get them their own... someday. When I home schooled my girls, we made core studies out of each American Girls. We had a blast and learned a lot!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  5:33:20 PM  Show Profile
my girls loved their dolls and I made lots of clothes for them even reproducing outfits they wanted from the catalog . They are 17 and 20 and still change the outfits on them and look thru their stuff at times.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Expensive, but worth it! My daughter has 4 American Dolls, the bitty twins, and Bitty Baby, she plays with them all the time, and my MIL makrs them matching clothes!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile
does any one have a pic of the american doll? thanks sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  07:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Found tons of fun crochet projects for AMD. I will have fun making scarves, ear warms, etc

Just put American Girl Dolls in your search. Then choose the American Girl site.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  08:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I think that my daughter has finally decided one the doll she wants. Excuse me, both dolls that she wants. Molly and Emily. The 1944 dolls. Ouch. But I guess this decides birthday and Christmas presents. I guess that I will have to get my cleaning business started sooner.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  08:16:55 AM  Show Profile
You can also get story books that tell a story about the doll.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile
I've been planning this since I found out I was having a girl almost 4 years ago! When she turns 5, we're going to the store and picking "the" doll!

My sister loved her's. We went to the store and got her's when she came on a visit once. To tell you the truth, I think she still likes it in secret, but she's 13 right now, and the other girls (and her other sporty 13 year old sister-never been into dolls) would make fun of her I think she thinks. But, I've seen her when she thinks no one is looking still sit in her room and play with it!

That being said, I never was brave enough to ask my parents to spend that kind of money on a doll. I started getting the catalogs for them when I was around 14, and dreamed of getting one one day! (the ads for them was in Victoria magazine which I loved! So I had sent off for the free catalog and fell in love!!!) I'm now 34 and love when little girls come to visit me and their parents want to go to the AG store (cause we live in NYC! lol) so I have a excuse to go.

So when I found out I was pregnant with a girl, I knew we would wait for a mile stone age, old enough to take care of it and appreciate it, yet young enough to still be interested, we would get one.

So I've been collecting clothes since then. If you have a Strausburge (sp) children's store near you, visit them, and visit often. They make AG clothes (their have their own line of knock off AG dolls) to match the clothes they sell for the girls. However, they are pretty darn expensive still. But, I look over the clearance when ever we go. I have gotten most the dresses for 4 dollars or less on the clearance rack. They start out at 24-35 dollars (for the doll dresses, the girls dresses are much more expensive!).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile
We have American Girl dolls and Build a Bear animals. They were well loved by my children. I have three daughters and when they were younger we had all of the historical dolls. Back then there seemed to be more furniture and accessories and we had all of the stuff to go with a couple of the dolls as well as the set of books for each doll. The dolls are now in storage waiting to be passed on to the next generation.

The animals have been well worth the money too. My kids loved to make up stories with their pets, especially my son who loves animals of all kinds. These toys too are now getting a second life with my two granddaughters.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies. Years ago I made a trunk for my daughter's AG doll. The mice have used it as a dogfood storage bin and toilet. Some of the clothes I just tossed; some I washed. But I am concerned about the odor on the doll herself. Any suggestions on this?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  10:41:51 AM  Show Profile
I think you can send the doll into the company. They have a "doll hospital". Maybe they would be of some help.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  2:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Loyce, call the doll hospital first. They used to give great advice to try to fix something at home before sending the doll to the hospital. Have you tried ptting her in a box with baking sode or sitting her in the sun? I hope this helps, good luck, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  7:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies. I actually haven't tried anything. I'm a world-class procrastinator! The sun idea sounds good. And I had wondered about using baking soda or even deactivated charcoal. Wondering was as far as it went. Since we are having gloriously hot days here in OR, I think I will place her in the sunshine tomorrow.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The new American Girl Doll Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page