shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  07:58:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm wondering what you all use for organic fertilizers and if anyone knows of something organic that would replace Miracle Grow? Thanks so much. Suzanne

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile
I love fish emulsion! and the plants do too... with a side benefit being, it reminds me of being on the coast when I'm feeding my garden!

~TJ

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Chassen
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Chassen
Columbus OH
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:17:24 AM  Show Profile
My gran used to throw her tea bags and coffee grounds out into the garden. Jerry Baker has a great gardening wisdom book, too. One recipe I use from his book is 1 part dehydrated manure, 1 part bone meal, 3 parts granite dust, and 5 parts seaweed meal. It's a general fertilizer.

City-bound for now! Looking for my little piece of heaven...
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:55:22 AM  Show Profile
The Gaia brand organic fertilizers (if you can get them in the US) are top notch, albeit expensive, but they go a long, long way. RainGro is also organic, but it's no longer available in Canada. Neither will burn plants.
I agree with TJ, especially for tomatoes...can't beat a good fish fertilizer.

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Making comfrey compost tea to use in my garden. It's sitting on the front porch "cooking" in the sun that FINALLY showed up!!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate all of this good advice and look forward to more. I will look for Fish Emulsion and the Gaia brand and RainGro. And whatever else is suggested. My tea and coffee go into my compost pile already. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Marlies Schmitt
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Marlies
Nampa Idaho
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Chicken Manure. It's great!

Duck Lane Winery
Go to Top of Page

WickedGoodFarm
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lee
Hinesburg VT
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  1:46:35 PM  Show Profile
Llama manure is a perfect sustainable and environmentally-friendly fertilizer. We grew our corn in it last summer, and while the other local corn fields had stalks less than knee-high, ours was already five feet tall!

These "black beans" are a safe, organic, fertilizer that won't burn plants, unlike some other chemical and animal fertilizers. It is rich in nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, and has good levels of calcium and magnesium.

The llama beans break down slowly, releasing their nutrients into your plants. It has almost no smell and is easy to handle.

You can plant directly into it, or use it as a llama bean tea. Put one cup of beans in a 1 gallon container and let it sit for a day or two then use this mix to water your plants. Keep adding water as you use the mix until the water no longer turns tea colored. Add the particulate matter to your soil and start again. One cup of beans will make about 10 gallons of tea.

Before shipping the beans to you, we gather, dry and sterilize them by heating them in a microwave to make sure no seeds survive that could possibly germinate later. Our farm sells this in gallon bags. Drop me a line for more info.

www.WickedGoodFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  8:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
I've also had great success with fish emulsion, and always the compost pile!
Toni
Go to Top of Page

LaceMistress
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

New York
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  05:26:27 AM  Show Profile
We use nothing but composted horse manure and chicken guano and we get really good results. I heartily recommend, however, not covering beds with straw in the winter......that seems to really slow down growth in plants come spring.

Too much thread, so little time!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Organic Fertilizer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page