tinarie
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Tina
Bagdad Florida
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't find a place to talk about this subject so I'm trying out this spot:) My husband and me are planning a trip to Colorado the 1st week in October. This will be our first visit to Colorado. I'm looking for any advice from someone that has been before. I would appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks Farmgirls!!!:)

...When one flower blooms,spring awakens everywhere....
- John O'Donohue

Sweet B Papers My Etsy Shop
tinarie21.etsy.com

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  6:43:41 PM  Show Profile
We had some fabulous trips in Colorado when I was a kid but since I wasn't driving I don't remember details. I'm sure there are people who have real knowledge though:) not just me with my sort-of-remembered knowledge.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Durango to Silverton railroad Aspen Vail any of the ski areas. Even Denver has some fun things. I grew up there but get lost now when I go back.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  07:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Estes Park is still nice that time of year and there are many northern Colorado sites you can take in. What kind of things do you enjoy? Antiquing? Go to Florence, and while your in the area take in the royal gorge and the train that runs the canyon. If you enjoy wine tasting there are several hot spots in Colorado, Palisade on the western slope, Olathe area also western slope and of course the front range all the way from Greely to Pueblo. Try a vist to Boulder, you will find a lot of cool things to do in Boulder County.

I live on the front range so if you have more specific questions or would like me to find and send you some info let me know.

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile
We like the Westcliffe/Silvercliffe area for lots of hiking. I worked in Winter Park the summer of 1977 and went back there in 1997. There is a lot to do near there. It is close to Rocky Mt. National Park. I don't know if Trail Ridge Road would still be open in October. We like going in fall but my job makes it difficult now. I am a para at a school.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile
We have gone to Colorado the last 3 years. Drove the San Juan scenic highway from Durango to Crawford State Park one year. Beautiful drive and you go right by Mesa Verde park. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is an awesome sight. Took the Durango-Silverton train ride last year. Be prepared, it's a very long trip (about 8 hours total) and the regular seats are small and uncomfortable. First class is expensive and was sold out when we were buying our tickets. Beautiful scenery though.
I haven't been anywhere in Colorado that we haven't enjoyed except driving through Lamar where there are tons of stinky feedlots. Yuck.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Judy

"Speak your mind and ride a fast horse"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Tina,

I LIVE IN SOUTHWEST COLORADO!!! We are near the Durango-Silverton train ride . . . if you decide on that book your tickets early. It is pretty pricey but I recommend riding on the gondola cars. They are open but you can get up and move around . . . I'll never ride in the coaches again. AND, you will not want to wear anything light colored as you'll get it dirty.

Mesa Verda is even closer to me . . and a GREAT visit. But don't expect to see ALL of it in a day!!!
SOOOOOO MUCH of Colorado is SOOOOOOOOOOOO stunning!!! We were just talking yesterday with my family about just taking a road trip in our state . . . so much yet to see and do!!

IF YOU ARE COMING TO MY NECK OF THE WOODS BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW!!!!!! If possible it would be such a treat to meet up with you!!!
And, let me know if I can help you any other way.

TAKE CARE!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  11:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Heather, is there still a bunch of Flea Markets on Hwy 287 between Fort Collins and Longmont? My sis lived in Lafayette and they have a great antique shop there, too. Also, is there still antiques in Niwot?

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherone, Yes there are still a large assorment of flea markets/antique stores on 287 between ft collins and loveland, in fact I spent most of the day friday walking through them all. I found a few bargains and a few must haves for my camper. I regularly hit the one in Lafayette (used to live there) and the one in Niwot has dwindled some. Longmont has three really good ones, The Merchantile, Tables to Tea Cups and Serendipity. There right up the road from me.

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662

Edited by - Heather B on Jul 12 2010 3:44:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  2:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm a Durango farmgirl, where in Colorado will you be visiting? (I don't know that there's a bad part of Colorado to visit!) :-)

Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  4:40:05 PM  Show Profile
We went to visit my husband's sister a few years ago and visited Steamboat Springs, Leadville, Ridgway, Ouray, Redstone - in addition to the other places mentioned. If you like hot springs, Strawberry Park Hot Springs near Steamboat was fascinating, and Orvis Hot Springs in Ridgway was great (Orvis is clothing optional though, just so you know!).
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Colorado Vacation? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page