westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  05:59:10 AM  Show Profile
I am growing radishes this year, never grew them before. They are the tastiest things and coming right from my garden to my salad bowl is the most wonderful thing. Oh, to grow something even on such a small scale as my garden gives me such pleasure.If Gardens are miracles, farming must be the ultimate, God willing someday I'll know but in the meantime, He's blessed me w/ my small garden of beans, radishes, lettuce, tom. and peas.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  09:55:21 AM  Show Profile
What kind of radishes are they? Your small garden sounds wonderful!!!

Visit my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile
I know exactly how you feel. After an absence from gardening (except a few herbs) of nearly 30 years, having large pots of looseleaf lettuce, radishes, and basil for almost daily salads has been manna from heaven. I finally have beans coming up (green and lima) and the sugar peas are starting to climb and bloom. I tell my friends I'm like an expectant mother, out there constantly, keeping up with each and every new leaf, new blossom...ugh, new bug! And, because I live in the high desert area of NM, I save every precious drop of water I can to use out there on my produce section. I have a tiny corner of this place I'm renting (rural) that my neighbor tried to plow for me but it was too awkward an area and there were too many rocks for his tiller to work, so I'm just going to hand dig individual holes and amend the soil for other veggies I'm craving: cucumbers, squash, zucchini, okra (give me fried and I can die happy), dill, eggplant, etc. Have to get a roll of fencing wire first...too many dogs and loose renegade cows in the neighborhood. That's okay..It will be hot until October or so, if this year is anything like the previous 4, so there is time to plant and grow. Isn't it grand!

I shoulda turned left at Albuquerque..Bugs Bunny
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  5:40:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
They are the tastiest things and coming right from my garden to my salad bowl is the most wonderful thing.

I hear ya, sister! See, I myself would've never eaten radishes before until they came from my own home garden. . . straight from the garden is best! (I was just out in my own eventide garden nibbling on arugula. I'm worse than the rabbits!)

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  08:59:21 AM  Show Profile
I know, it's the most amazing thing. I certainly understand the expectant mother thing, I feel the same way. Your watching them like a hawk, making sure everything is ok. I threw some lima beans in & now they are blooming w/ pretty little white flowers & a couple of them have little pods w/ lima beans on them. it's so exceiting. The radishes are just regular red radishes. I got the seeds at a garden center in the "out of stock organic seeds area". They are working for me.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile
oh .. you have convinced me to add radishes to our gardens this year .. mostly .. my favorites to grow are squash, zucchini and several varieties of tomatoes .. but some radishes .. and maybe some BEANS might be fun to add this year .. i better hurry!

today .. honey hunk is painting our 'dawg fence' black .. and i'm giving our 'forest green' wood yard furniture a new coat of paint .. gonna' get back to those gardens before we leave for florida the first of june! sure hope it rains while we're gone!

xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  2:14:30 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about growing radishes, but I think I will next year after reading this thread!
Does anyone grow wax beans? I grow them instead of green beans and they are my absolute favorite.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile
I just bought a package of wax bean seeds but I've never had wax beans and don't know what to do with them. How do you prepare them...are they snapped or peeled or shelled or "dewaxed" LOL! And P.S., it's not too late for radishes. You can sow them throughout the spring and summer and into fall. The hotter the weather, the faster they germinate and grow those lovely red appendages.

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile
To prepare wax beans, I just snap off the tips and boil them up, with a little pat of butter. That's all they need. No "dewaxing" needed!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  5:07:01 PM  Show Profile
DH and I were out in the backyard all morning and into early afternoon, weed, pruning, etc. I pulled butter crunch leaf lettuce and am washing it now. Of course I have more then we could ever use, so some is going to work with me tomorrow for give aways. But we did have some on our sandwiches at lunch, so fresh and good. Also pulled a ton of rhurbarb. Cut a bunch up and froze it and am now making rhurbarb sauce while I type. It is great to go out the backdoor and pick what you need. Can't wait for the peas, beans and tomatoes.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  5:11:45 PM  Show Profile
I don't have enough for give aways on the lettuce, but I'm still enjoying enormous salads from my potted produce, despite all the garden pests. The heat is really bothering the peas, though and I don't know if I'm going to get much from them...some are to be shelled and some are snow pea pods. I'm hoping once I get okra, cukes, zucchini, squash, eggplant, etc. planted and going, I'll have more than enough to share with my neighbors and friends. I have several different kinds of tomato plants blooming, so I hope to have a bumper crop. Can't wait to eat taste a tomato that tastes like a tomato, if you know what I mean.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic radishes and beans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page