Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  04:00:08 AM  Show Profile
So did anyone else get lots of hail this past Sunday and Thursday night??

We did on both occasions and the poor garden is in shambles. Good thing the cabbage is almost ready. It's already looking like cole slaw! Banana leaves are shredded and the tops of some tomato plants were broken out.

One edge of another garden is flooded, so at least where we are, we don;'t need much more rain for awhile!

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  04:38:50 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry Anna,
I heard yall had quite the storm yesterday! We went to Burlington on Sumday for mothers day and on the way home saw the results of a hail storm but when we got home we saw no damage.We got no rain yesterday but we must of had a shower last night (everything is wet this morning-it seems to rain every thursday night making it hard to pick all my greens for market on Friday AM!). We got alot of rain Monday and some Tuesday. It has been cloudy here most of the week what we need is sunshine! We still have some tomato plants not planted I guess we will have lots of late tomatoes. I want to plant some this next week and then more in July.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  05:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Anna, sorry to hear of the hail shredding your garden. We've had rain straight and steady for over a week. The sun finally peeked out and said Hi on wed, but then more rain wed afternoon. Same yesterday some sun, more rain. No flooding at least and we did need it. It is bright and sunny and beautiful this morning!

Have a great day everyone! :)
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile
We had about 5 minutes of 1/4" to 1/2" sized hail on Sunday evening in our area. My mother said my youngest sister got a little scared of the hail they had in the Charlotte area (I guess this was Thursday-ish) since she'd never experienced a hailstorm before!!! (She's almost 14 years old.) My husband works in Browns Summit, and their plant roof was pretty damaged from the hail on Sunday. . .

Luckily, it wasn't so bad at our house. I hope your garden recovers quickly!

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  03:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Everything but the banana plants have bounced back. Hubby pulled 2-3 tomato plants with the tops out. We had tiny zucchini coming on too that got bruised. This time of year I just pull the small stuff 'till it warms up a little. I feel badly for all these plants just stagnating, but am certainly enjoying mild days and cooler evenings. Guess the heat and humidity will follow soon enough.

It rained again last night but no hail thank goodness!

OH! And two really cool things to note. 2 nights ago, I watched those swirling clouds. Kind of freaky and cool to watch something like that right before your eyes. Luckily like the weather guy said, the incoming falling temps would lessen
the intensity. He was right. And the dopplar radar on the news showed just how big these masses were from the top to the bottom, not just on a flat screen. THAT was cool!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic haill in the South Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page