knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:05:37 PM  Show Profile
Well my ob has decided to induce me next week, since I've developed a mild case of gestational diabetes and of course they're concerned about the size of the baby. Hoping that baby will arrive early as they've swept the membranes, drinking more raspberry tea. I would prefer labour to start that way than get the pitocin drip.

Any other suggestions?

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:11:29 PM  Show Profile
You can always try what got you in this condition in the first place, a little romance with your sweetie! I was induced with my first son because of Preeclampsia and it was no fun. Good luck, I hope your labor is quick and as painless as possible.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Im with dawn, I was induced and two days later had a c-section. Wouldnt wish that on anyone. Seriously, a little romance is what you need.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  08:44:54 AM  Show Profile
When is your due date? Try your hardest not to allow the induction. Induction is the cause of the majority of c-sections today and you don't want to risk that. Unless you're incredibly overdue and there's a risk to the baby because of that, it's not likely the baby will be too big. Doctors say that all the time and most of the time the baby ends up being quite small LOL! Maybe you'll go soon. I had my second the day after they swept the membranes. Here's hoping you have baby real soon and that you won't have to go with the Dr.'s plans. Come on out baby!!!

PS....40 weeks is not a factual gestation time for all women. It's just an estimate and some women gestate much longer, but never get the chance to because the Drs. think that 40 weeks is an exact science. I knew a woman who went to 44 weeks+ with all three of her children and they were all less than 7 lbs. at birth. She just gestates long and that as OK because her midwife knows that's normal for her. Cool huh? I'm sure glad I don't gestate that long. I was 39-40 weeks with all of mine.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile
This is my fourth so had no issues with the other three. I'm well informed about the risks of induction and all those interventions which I'd rather not partake in to tell you the truth. My estimated due date is July 15. I've just been measuring big all along so I suspect I'm going to go early anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  4:56:56 PM  Show Profile
I was induced and had a c-section. I jst couldnt dilate. Not everyone has that problem. I would make a big plan for a dinner or friends over...anything like. babies love to change plans for you! Prayers sent for a healthy baby and momma!
Go to Top of Page

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile
I am a big believer in that babies will come when they are ready. Certainly there are medical interventions there for when they are needed for either mama, baby or both, but I would get a second opinion before induction of any sort since induction in itself can lead to complications. GD is of course concerning, but with careful monitoring and the fact that you are so far along if it were me, I wouldnt be too worried about the need to deliver asap as long as there are no real troubling symptoms.

I also would rather have a large baby in position (because it was coming when it was ready) than a smaller baby who was not in position (but the body was in labor due to induction) and that weight estimates can be off by several pounds or ounces.

I am Jenn. Wife to A, mama to S, B, L and V.
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  9:03:35 PM  Show Profile
I was also induced but it was not a bad experience. I however did not get the potocin drip. They gave me progestin. I believe the the drug was supposted to make you dilate and then your body would say "time to go into labor" and the process started naturally from there.

They gave me the progestin in the hospital and then was sent home to return "in the morning". And I suppose if things had not progressed they would have looked at some other things like the potocin.

In my case things went as planned ... with our first daughter I woke up with a labor pain @ 5 am, water broke @ 7 am and she was born shortly after 11 am. with our son, it was more interesting. they "inserted" the progestin and I almost immediately went into labor, water broke along with a little nausea. But I couldn't convince anyone that I was in labor or even that my water broke so I said "send me home". I returned 3 hours later with the baby crowning. (oops...waited a little too long)

This may have been a better option for me since the calendar said that I was ready even tho body wasn't cooperating... with daughter I was 3 weeks overdue and had not started to dilate or efface and with son I was 2 weeks overdue with people coming for baptism (which requires a BABY!)

Thought I'd mention it as I never hear anyone talk about the progestin. Maybe it's not done anymore. Kids were born ~20 years ago.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile
I was also induced and later had a c-section due to stress on the baby (and on the momma!). Violet was a week overdue, no big deal, but I had very high blood pressure and never any complications before that week..that was really the main reason for the induction. My bp was sky high and it never went down...like another poster, I also never dilated, and poor little Violet was wedged so tightly in the birth canal from working so hard to get out, that they had to tip the operating table sort-of sideways to get her out. My husband said he almost passed out when he saw the doc up to his shoulders in my body :)

I didn't have a terrible experience, and I'm not one who thinks that hospital births/c-sections etc..are evil. Now, I wouldn't schedule one, like a lot of mom's are doing around this area (to fit in vacations, leave, etc...) but I think it was the right way for us to go--we went in knowing that our goal was a healthy baby, so whatever method we could achieve that was the way to go.

Good luck--health to momma and baby!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  5:10:18 PM  Show Profile
Things seem to be slowly moving along so hopefully I'll just go naturally. I know my doctor wouldn't have recommended it without good reason, big for dates (so concern of shoulders getting stuck), that I have gestational diabetes and my age (eek! 38). Regulations within the profession have changed so it's not so much anymore for convenience than for a good reason. What's most important that this is the best route for a healthy baby. I'll let you all know what we have.

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  8:43:23 PM  Show Profile
AnneMarie, I hope you didnt feel we were trying to criticize you or your doctor. Sometimes induction is the safest way to go, of course. ((hugs)) Have a very happy Birth-day and keep us posted!

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:29:04 AM  Show Profile
AnneMarie, I was induced a week early because I was 43. Older womens placenta can get weak. being induced isnt a crime. Its just what happens sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  11:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I was a week past the "due date". So I was induced. Didn't work. I didn't even dilate and ended up with a c-section.

I know that they got the date wrong, but no one would listen.

But I was 34 and they wanted to be safe.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Just be informed. The romance thing really works..........

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  7:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Any updates today, AnneMarie? I hope you're doing well and that labor is well under way for you. Maybe baby is even here already since I haven't seen ya around today. I sure hope so!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  8:23:41 PM  Show Profile
No baby yet and had a second sweeping of membranes. Oh, I didn't think anybody was being critical of my doctor, I've gone into all of my pregnancies well informed. So this is what it is, overall it's been a healthy pregnancy and I feel good.

Maybe I should try jumping jacks next LOL.

Thanks gals for all your messages!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:44:06 PM  Show Profile
HOPE that baby will arrive soon :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Keep us updated, I'm thinking of you guys!

(and fwiw, my 3rd was 9lbs 6oz, and did get his shoulders stuck at birth...but our midwife got him out safe and sound in my bedroom if that makes you feel anybetter...a trained professional will be able to handle that sort of thing if it does in fact come up)

I am Jenn. Wife to A, mama to S, B, L and V.
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic being induced Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page