Jennifer Q.
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Irmo SC
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  08:51:01 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor is a huge fan of this oil called Neem Oil. It is taken from a tree that uses it to keep bugs from eating it. Also, it works on garden plants! Any bad bug stays away and stops eating your food. I am really excited (lost 3 leaves on my tomatillo plant due to little bugs growing up in the leaves....).

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried companion planting? A friend of mine just surrounds her house with pennyroyal to deter bugs and chrysanthemums and marigolds are supposed to be good too. I tried planting some dwarf marigolds next to my infant rose bush and as soon as it started blooming the rose just took off. Of course, that could be because, you know, the weather finally warmed up too!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I use neem oil and companion plant. I love the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes". Neem oil really is a good product.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  5:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Hallie:
My hubby planted chrysanthemums and marigolds around in the garden and the snails refuse to leave. I'll have to give the neem oil a try. Thanks for the information.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Marly, I have never had a problem with snails or slugs, must be too dry here. But I just read that they hate copper, if you surrounded the garden with copper pipe you may have some success, dont know how big your garden is though...

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Would you get it at a Home Depot type place? I need something!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  2:54:30 PM  Show Profile
I've been using neem oil (although any oil will work), dr bronner's liquid soap and garlic. It really works! the bugs yech! blag! ptooey! hate it :)and the plants don't mind it.

I buy neem oil from Brambleberry.com (it is a wonderful addition to soaps for people with eczema or other contact dermatitis.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Keep bugs off your plants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page