gardenmouse
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Porterville CA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  6:57:41 PM  Show Profile
I've almost saved up enough cucumbers to start making pickles this weekend, but I can't find any picking spice in any of my usual grocery stores. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm thinking I could make my own pickling spice if I can't find any to buy. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  8:17:40 PM  Show Profile

Beth,

here is a recipe that I use for Piccalilli. It's really good :)

Pickling Spice

2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoons whole allspice
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons dill seeds
2 teaspoons Whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves (crumbled)
2 dried red chilies (2 inches long, crumbled)

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight jar in a cool, dark place.

Here's what I do:

I measured out the amount I would need for a batch of Piccalilli. I used these resealable Tea bags (Large Press & Brew) from Mountain Rose Herbs:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/tea_tool/infusers.html

I now have my Pickling Spices stored in these bags in a canning jar, ready for my next use :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gardenmouse
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Porterville CA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your recipe, Sharon. It sounds really good, and I like the teabag idea. Yumm, Piccalili, I haven't had that in a long time.

I "googled" pickling spices and of all the places to find them, I found that Amazon sells them!! How strange I thought. Anyway, a 16 oz. package was only $11.80, and it was from a company that I have purchased other herbs and spices from in the past. Can't go wrong at 74 cents an ounce. I'm thinking it would cost more to buy all the ingredients to make your own.

That website is really interesting. They have sprout seeds! I may have to place an order soon. Do you order from them on a regular basis?
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  11:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Beth,

I order from them a couple of times a year.

I already had all of the spices on hand that's why I searched for a recipe :) I usually buy my herbs and spices in bulk and just store them in mason jars an a dark place. I really can't see paying $5.00 for .4 ounces when I can get a pound for say $6.00 and share with friends :)

I made Piccalilli because I had 30 pounds of green tomatoes last year :) My honey likes it too!

Beth, can you e-mail me? :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  1:56:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gardenmouse

I "googled" pickling spices and of all the places to find them, I found that Amazon sells them!! How strange I thought. Anyway, a 16 oz. package was only $11.80, and it was from a company that I have purchased other herbs and spices from in the past. Can't go wrong at 74 cents an ounce. I'm thinking it would cost more to buy all the ingredients to make your own.

That website is really interesting. They have sprout seeds! I may have to place an order soon. Do you order from them on a regular basis?

I think amazon sells everything. that's where I found the best buy on my retractable clothesline.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sharon! I'm going to save this recipe. I, too, buy my herbs in bulk. I have all of the needed ingredients on hand, but I never seem to have pickling spice!

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  07:53:27 AM  Show Profile
I had this problem year before last, so I loaded up on pickling spice last year when it went on clearance :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickling Spice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page