knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  1:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Do you all ever not fell content or feel torn and undecided? I usually feel good about my life and the decisions I make, but the last few days I feel tired and a little antsy about our life. I love my life, but I feel like something is missing. This is a relatively new feeling for me.

It could be the heat and my garden is bombing this year and that makes me sad.

I think it might be more that my husband and I up until the last 6 or so months were the type that were always looking for a new opportunity and seem to never know if we are going to stay in our current home or try to sell for a larger farm. We decided to stay and repair what we have to build a small, but good farm. We have a good contractor that we contacted and found out that both of the barns are not worth repairing. Then we contacted the county soils office and found out that the reason our ground does not drain so well is because we have "shrink swell clay" and in other words the worse you could possibly farm on. And a few more things just are not working out! It seems like it might not be the right thing to do (stay here and farm), but the market is so bad in our area I don’t think we'd get anything for the house and 5 acres we have.

Do you all ever feel like you have no idea what to do? I don’t know if we should stay or try to go. I just don’t know. Any suggestions?

I really hope this does not sound silly....

Thanks for your help.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  2:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, you sound just like me right now. I have been a little depressed about my life and this place here. My husband drives a truck. So really it does not matter to him where we live. And I do all the "farming" and animal work. He weed eats. That's it. I have been thinking about finding a place closer to town. We are so far away from anything here. It takes a day just to go to town. And this heat and the garden and I have too many animals. It could go on and on. So I know how you feel. But then there is still so much to be done before we could even think of selling. Then would we even get near what we have invested. It's a hard descision to make. I know. But I would like to be a little closer to town. Not in town but closer.

I feel like I need to find a job too. But living so far out I'd have to be a doctor or lawyer to make it even worthwhile. Then I have to keep my granddaughter right now. So that's another reason to move.

What is the answer? I know mine will come soon enough. Good luck with yours. And it does not sound silly at all. It's exactly how I have been feeling lately. I wish I had some suggestions for you. Just know you are not alone in this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  4:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Ashley...
I have felt that way ever since I (we) moved from Washington to Georgia. I have nothing against Georgia.. we are here because of my Hubby's parents , one parent now are here and we wanted to see them more before it was too late.

My Mother is in Washington. My oldest daughter is in Washington, her family also. My two angels are there.... my heart is there. I am unsettle here because my heart is already in the moving mode. I want to settle.. but not yet.

I am unhappy with the clay soil too.. everything I plant..trees, flowers, etc.. make it for a year then fizzles out. I miss the dark soil in Washington where everything I planted grew!
With all that said... I am happy with what I had at the present time. It is meant to be for us to be here, for now. I know we will move...but God says it isn't now.

As Kris said.. not silly. My daughter would say "It is what it is"

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  9:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Ashley,
Look at it practically, will staying be hopeless or can you make it work. If you have a job in the area the farm doesn't have to be a real money maker, it could still be your home.

What kind of farming do you want to do? Some plant thrive in soils that others can't handle. Maybe you could try to research some crops that would work or other options. Some crops can bring in big rewards, here grapes and herb raising can make a lot of money on a small area. Would some animals do well on pasture there, goats maybe? Would you have interest in making goat milk soap? Is there some way you can get more bang for the buck?

I don't know how "shrink swell clay" is different from other clay soils. We have clay soil and found that planting buckwheat helps to break up the soil and change the composition. For our garden we have worked in rabbit droppings for quite a few years and have improved the soil a lot, that's close to an acre including fruit trees. We've put in raised beds and added sand in the mix.

I'm one to try to stay and make it work but only you can decide for yourselves.

Best wishes and prayers are with you.
Susan

Don't give up to easily on your dreams, you may find the grass isn't much greener and you are a couple of steps behind by moving on and not getting much for what you aleady have.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  02:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Ashley
It doesn't sound silly at all - I think most of us feel that way at some time in our lives.

Whatever choices you make in your life there are always good things that come from them but there is always a price to pay as well. Often that price seems worth paying at the time but later on the balance between the good and the bad seems to shift and you query whether you are doing the right thing.

When I am really undecided I find it helps me to set a deadline - I'm going to work really hard at making this work for 6 months, 12 months whatever feels right and if i still feel like this after giving it my all then maybe I need to accept it isn't ever going to work and I need to look at all my options. That way I know i have really tried and if this is just a bad few months it gives the situation time to resolve itself and move into good times again.

What would more likely happen is during that period you would come to realise the right way forward for yourselves and the decision becomes obvious either way but setting yourself a deadline means you won't just drift along waiting for this to happen indefinately.

Good luck and whatever decision you ultimately make going through this will make you wiser and stronger in the future.

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  06:44:00 AM  Show Profile

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input. We are working to amend the soil as we speak. The barns will work for a bit, but we are talking tens of thousands of dollars to fix the soil. I want goats and a dairy cow so bad I can't stand it, but with the ground being soooo wet we are afraid that their feet will rot (goats). Basically the problem with "shrink swell clay" is that it has a high shrink-swell capacity and it tends to damage crops during dry spells, as the soil contracts, pulling roots apart. Additionally in wet periods expansion of the clay can lead to ground heave, which can damage the foundations of buildings. Thank you Wikipedia for a formal definition:)

So that being said I don't even know if we can afford to fix the whole 5 acres. I don't know if it is worth building a new barn. We can do raised beds for the garden and for the cold frames. We both want more animals, but what kind of people would we be to put them on this ground that fully has the potential to hurt them.

We could try to trench the whole property, but I'm not sure how that will help in the long run. We will for sure have to amend the soil, but we can do it over a period of several years. Who knows....lol.

I think maybe I feel stuck. Stuck like I want to find a better property (for farming reasons, not like bigger and better to be greedy) to have a better farm, but I feel like I can't b/c the market is so bad.

Would you all try to sell or try to fix what you have?

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  08:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ashley- what I would do is work towards amending the soil etc as best you can but go ahead and put it on the market for what you need it to sell for so that you could buy something that would work better. If it doesn't sell then at least you are still working towards making the property better for your needs, if it does sell, then you are able to find something that better fits you needs with hopefully better soil!

Also are the barns wood? If you can find it, there is a HUGE market for old barn wood and sometimes things like Tin roofs can be recycled for $$$ if you tear down the structure.

Another thing you might consider is building a goat pen for example and back filling will well draining soil and then compacting that soil (so it doesn't errode) kind of like how they grade surfaces for roads. Have a gentle slope to the ground. Also having goats in an enclosed area will slowly improve the soil because any hay they waste will can decompose into the soil adding better drainage capacity and moisture retention.

For immediate ammendments I think really injecting your soil with lots and lots of organic matter will help. Also seed any garden with night crawlers because they are the "deep tunnelers" and build food caches with organic material. So basically they pull the grass clippings or water much deeper into the soil and leave behind their castings which are perfect fertilizers.

If you have a section of your land that isn't being used right now, you could always ask your local stables if you could haul away their manure and then spread it around the area where you hope to use in a year or two. Again if you get a lot of organic matter on say a future pasture, the worms and natural composting will take over and improve your soil significantly.

Another thing I was just thinking is having hooved animals such as cows and such could actually be beneficial in this situation because their hooves will churn up the soft soil and help push organic matter into that clay.

Here's one last idea. Let's say you get a cow and goats and basically just know that their pasture is going to be a mess for about 2 or 3 years. Each time it gets wet and boggy, bring in wood shavings and straw and lay down over the soil until it has absorbed the moisture (this could take a lot, but usually straw is pretty cheap). By having this organic matter plus the manure churned into the soil it should help with moisture regulation. Hopefully by helping the soil keep a more even moisture level at all times it will lessen that shrink swell capacity and break up the clay barrier as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  09:48:55 AM  Show Profile
I always like to hear what other people think. I have gone over what to do almost a million times and can always come up with positive things and negative things! Thank you so much:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Just know you are not alone - I too have been on that merry go round about my own place. I love every inch of it but with the economy what it is folks are not purchasing like they did and I draw all my income from it so it is not like I do not want to be here but how can I continue. Your right the drive, gas and limited employement so far away just does not make sense. I can work from sun up to sun down but unless folks purchase my animals, fiber and products it is work that will not pay the bills.

I thank you for sharing this topic because you are not alone and it helps to hear other voices - I find I get great help from these ladies and just know you are not alone.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  1:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I looked at your site and you have the most beautiful colors of yarn! You are very talented:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  9:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,

I agree with Alee. Sell that barn wood! Put the house on the market and see if you get a good offer, if you truly feel this way about your place.

And, two words: RAISED BEDS

My soil is considered the poorest in my county according to the web soil survey, lol. I live on sand, so we built raised beds all in my front yard. It works so great. I'd also work closely with your county agent if you decide to stay. Our extension agents are so great. I joined the Master gardener program and learned so much and met so many great people.

I was just reading a story in Countryside magazine (which I adore) and it was a couple who lived on the crappiest property. Full of rocks, etc. It did take a lot of time and work, but it is finally to a manageable place. I just took this really cool program thru the extension office. One of the best things they emphasized was taking what you have and making the best use of it. Sure, I live on a sandbox, but it has great drainage, and peaches, peanuts, roses, etc. love that soil type. And, a LOT of my land is sloped. But, I figure with a lot of work, I can either put in some terracing, or run grapevines up and down the hill. You have to be really inventive sometimes! My land isn't the cream of the crop, but I'm making do. The bottom 1/2 of my land is seriously just clay and rock. It is called Nacogdoches Bub complex. It is the other poorest soil around. But it doesn't faze this optimist! :0D I love experimenting.

Also, here is the official online soil survey. You can look up your address, and it should tell you your soil type. Really interesting.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:29:42 PM  Show Profile

Hahaha. My husband said the SAME thing "two words- raised beds". So that will be the solution to our gardening woes for next year! We have a mushroom factory about 20 min from our house and we are going to get several loads of mushroom compost from them (black gold!), saw dust from a mill also about 20 min away, and some of the other farms are selling their manure. We decided that it is best to stay put for a while.

We are working up a plan to build a "drain system" to a pond (we'll have to dig it out), so we can use some of the water that is currently a pain in our backside!

Thank you so much for the soil survey site. I've not looked our property up yet, but am very curious about what it says.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,
Just popping in here with a thought....down the road here where all the farms are...they have acres and acres of hydroponic farming...it's amazing...you don't need to worry about all that soil cracking etc...check out "Dekker farms" online...they have a u-pick farms...the entire garden is hydroponics. Very nice, neat, and clean.
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  06:12:08 AM  Show Profile
http://www.dekkerfamilyfarms.com/ they are closed for the season...remember this is like our winter for gardening now...but they'll open again in Oct. I think...but check out their website!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  08:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ashley- Hope things are going well for you this year! I was thinking about you this weekend as I was working in my garden.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  09:26:29 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, as I was reading your post, I kept thinking of what my Grandmother always says "go with your gut." I think that's what you need to do. Ask yourself what are you truly feeling, to stay or move someplace else? Unfortunately the answer is inside of you.
I always think change is good. When we are just going along day by day, we are just living. But when situations arise and changes occur, then we are forced to use our imagination,creativity and God-given talents, that's when we are truly living.
Change for you could be changing your current property or changing where you live.
When I find myself in situations that I don't know what to do, I go somewhere quiet by myself and think. Usually when I listen to "my gut" I find the answer.
Good Luck!

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  4:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, I to have been thinking the same thing. I will be 54 this October and I am not sure if I need to be trying to work a farm. I have more energy than my husband does. He has had 4 surgeries on his spine and he doesnt have much energy. I work a full time job and he works partime. I am so lucky to have a job and so is my husband. This farm is not ours yet. We wont be able to buy the farm until the end of next year. And if we do buy the farm I would love to have chickens and a couple cows. I have a small garden and it has been good so far. Except the squash..We have 3 Pastures and a small pond. But I still have a question if we should be here. I would like to travel and see other places before I get to old to do that. So I am not sure if I should be here too.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  09:39:57 AM  Show Profile
You are all so sweet. Our planning for next season has already started, so hopefully we'll be more prepared! That is what we are working on right now. How are the seasons going for all of you?

Alee, thank you so much for thinking of me. I hope your season is going well.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  2:12:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by knead2gardenDo you all ever feel like you have no idea what to do? I don’t know if we should stay or try to go. I just don’t know. Any suggestions?

This is my life, and has been for the last year or so. I don't need to get into my details, but yeah, I totally know where you're coming from, and no, we don't have a clue either. I'm sick of living in limbo though, let me tell you.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout - born at home in a creative place Feb 2010
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Stay or go? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page