Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 5 acres to fertilize organically?.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic 5 acres to fertilize organically?....... Next Topic  

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  11:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
we are finally farming the 5 acreas, and trying organic, but it is looking pretty bad compared to all the puffed up chemically fertilized fields. how do you girls fertilize on a larger scale organically. we plan to do some cover crops in the fall, but honestly do you have any suggestions?

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
www.localharvest.org/farms/M24434

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
bump?

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  10:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Lots and lots of compost and animal manure, constantly rotortilling in, cover crops in fall and again in winter, as the years go by, the soil gets better and better

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  7:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks teresa, so sort of like our kitchen garden, but on a very large scale. i was hoping there was a product to get us going, and then one of the farmgirls here in east texas i think has a fanukt business where they organically treat the pastures, and i was hoping she would respond to this post. i have tried to locate her through my post and threads but havent been able to.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  6:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie,

I just now noticed you are in Texas, lol. I have a friend with a 400 acre organic farm here. I can find out for you what they do! I personally use a lot of compost and I also use organic fish emulsion, though I only have a big garden. I also use a lot of bunny poo!

I will do some research for you.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much, amanda. the guys are sort of frustrated over all this and trying not to get discouraged. let me know what you find out and once again, thanks so much.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I Fertilize about 10 ornamental acres w/ organic fertilizers. I know what our soils are deficient in nitrogen and phosphorus.I use greensand two times a year on lawns.There are a variety of application rates. Or cottonseed meal. I love a fertilizer called California Organic 7-5-7 but it has products that attract wild animals. We are very remote and after having the wild turkeys uproot all our newly planted plants and the crows, we went to fertilizers that don't have fish meal or blood meal in them. We now have four dogs there and I have tried using those products again and they are not getting bothered.So it depends on your situation.
This might help until soil gets better.Horse manure directly on rows works well for me at home ( 1 acre garden).
Hope this helps. Katie
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for your suggestions, katie.
which organic fertilizers do you use. i will look up california organics and see what we find.
thanks again.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:53:29 PM  Show Profile
peaceful valley farms in california carries organic omri approved fertilizer. i am like teresa i use my chicken cow pig poop for making compost and use it to fertilize. i also use fish and bone meal . i have lava rock and basalt soil so i go from there. i also use alfalfa pellets that are used for livestock feed and bone meal. it can get expensive. so i bought laying hens and sell the eggs. then i get free healthy poop to fertilize. really i was a maniac gardener and needed fertilizer. read rodales old garden encyclopedia published in 1959 it is my second bible.it helped me figure out how to make my own plant foods. hope this helps happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Fran, I'm so sorry it took me so long to find this post! My hubby & I sell organic fertilizer, but we're not the applicators in your area. Go to www.watsonranchorganic.com/Sales.html and find the nearest dealer for your county.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner! I haven't spent as much time online since we have a large garden this year. ;)

Kyria
www.crossyr.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  06:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
Kyria,

Can you tell us about your organic fertilizer company please?

Living a Godly simple life with 2 kids, a Haflinger, and hens. Would love a Jersey hand milked cow! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Basically, we put living microbes into the soil and feed them with a variety of products. We can test the soil to tell what's missing and tailor a program just for your property. Most of our customers personally are raising hay/pasture, but we have programs for all kinds of fruits and vegetables, and just lawns, too.

The website has lots of information, and if you call the person listed as nearest to you, I'm sure they would gladly answer any questions. www.watsonranchorganic.com

We use such products as humate tea, seaweed tea (which we grow ourselves from seed), molasses, garlic oil, etc. Everything is certified organic, which was a painstaking process! Everything is mixed into a sprayer with water and sprayed wherever it's needed!

Kyria
www.crossyr.blogspot.com

Sell Books Online at Cash4Books.net
http://www.cash4books.net/index.php?ref=122916
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic 5 acres to fertilize organically?....... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page