Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic NOOK - E-Reader Next Topic  

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:29:59 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a Nook or e-reader? I see that Barns and Nobel are having a sale and was wondering if it is worth the $199.00.
Thoughts???

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I SOOO want one! But I am going to have to wait. Perhaps for Christmas.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  09:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I think the I-Pad at $499 would be a better buy. It is an e-reader and so much more. Basically a computer. I sooo want one of those. So light weight and easy to take with you and also easy access to the internet.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile
I have the nook and I absolutely love it. I got mine for Mother's Day and it goes where I go and they have added many new features to it just this week. It has access to the internet now, games, and slips right in your purse. My hubby said that was the best gift he could give me cause I am rarely without it. I think it is worth the buy. Just my opinion.

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  2:16:43 PM  Show Profile
I was looking at this or a Kindle for my mom possibly for Christmas. We are a family of readers, but last year she was diagnosed with an arterial bubble at the base of her neck, and it gets more and more painful for her to read. I had thought of some sort of a stand for her books, but then I thought of an electronic reader.
Are they pretty lightweight? Are they easy to use? If they are easy to use, she would, but for anything computer-like, she makes my dad do it for her. I would hate to spend that kind of money if she wasn't going to use it.
Kathy- have you looked into a Kindle, or are they way more expensive than the Nooks?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
the nook and kindle are the same price. Before I got my nook I checked into both. The nook is very easy to use as is the kindle. I think it would be a great thing for you mom.

Tammy

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  5:39:17 PM  Show Profile
My daughter bought the nook and loves it!!! She liked the fact of being able to just bring it in to B&N if a problem and etc... She is able to access her email on it as well and said that is enough for her as she has laptop. She is a reader though so is in heaven!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  6:35:52 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way about my nook Rae!!!

Tammy

Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  05:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! I am going to take another look at the Nook tonight or tomorrow. $200.00 is a fair deal to me. I know it will fit right in my purse. I like the email access and the games too. I would purchase the 3G not just the Wi-Fi. I do most of my reading in the summer.
But..what about sharing??? Can you share the books you have downloaded?? Someone told me that your credit card number becomes embedded it the file. I dont want to share that..

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  07:18:56 AM  Show Profile
My daughter got the 3G and Wi Fi one. Can't remember what she said about sharing books, I thought she said you could. I will have to ask her.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  09:16:31 AM  Show Profile
They have what you call lend me. If the book you have on your nook says lend me, you can lend it to someone for 14 days. YOu send it by email. When I did that, it did not have my credit cared number embedded in it. After 14 days it comes back to your nook.

hope that helps.
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  08:20:18 AM  Show Profile
I am now the proud owner of a Nook!! I picked it up last night. I charged the battery last night. I down loaded the latest updates this morning. I am ready to start purchasing e-books. I still need to pick up a cover for my nook. I didn't take time last night to look at any.
B&N has a great offer for us Nook owners. One free book every friday. Now I know some of them will be of no interest to me. But you never know what you could get. I also see that there are some free classic books offered. And some of the books cost less then $5.00.
I am happy with my purchase and know that I will get many hours of enjoyment from it.
Have a great weekend ladies.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy...I have a Kindle and I absolutely love it too!!! My husband bought it for me a year ago
for Christmas and it is THE BEST GIFT I have ever received hands down. I have checked out the Nook
too and it looks awesome also. You will absolutely love having an E-Reader! I get classic books and
New Reads for free on my Kindle too. In fact they have a list of Free ones you can choose from and
so far, I have never picked one that I didn't like which is pretty good for Free, can't beat that price. Like the Nook our average
cost is $9.99 per book but you can find many of them for less than that. And sometime if it is a
Well known author their new releases come out at first at a higher price but then Amazon allows you to
Pre-Order at discount prices. I am excited for you because it is just the best way to read a book.

If I was buying another one right now, from all of them that I checked out...I would purchase the Ipad. More expensive but well worth the better technology. BUT...for me I like the smaller size of the Kindle and Nook...fits perfectly into a purse or back-pack and so light weight and easy to hold. Ipad needs to come out with a small version, which, I am sure they will.I have Fybromyalgia (all over my body) and so holding hard-backs became an impossibility and even some bigger paper-backs.

ENJOY! I know you will!

BLESSINGS,
~peggy

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 25 2010 08:48:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Karla,
I love the Free Friday too. Sometimes I like what they offer..sometimes not. I got all the Jane Austen books free. So have fun.

hugs
Tammy

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic NOOK - E-Reader Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page