julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:05:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure everyone who sews does this but I'm having so much fun that I had to share.

So..what to do with all the scrap pieces? I'm talking about after I have cut them down to 2X2 inch squares for quilting. I have a zillion little strips, itty-bitty bits, etc..etc.. I hate throwing them away. In fact, I've been working on my overall garbage situation and trying to reduce in as many ways as possible. I'm not even close to being an example..Trust me..just working toward it.

So again, what to do with the scraps? I decided to take a bunch of pieces and with my rotary cutter cut this way and that--this way and that into finely chopped fabric for stuffing pillows!

So that's what I've been doing. Too fun. I just stuffed my first experimental pillow and I love it. I love how heavy it is. It is wonderful.....

Let me know what you do with your scraps!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  7:12:42 PM  Show Profile
I've been meaning to do that for stuffing my dolls! They'll be more solid and I won't be wasting the scraps, while simultaneously shelling out $$ for polyfil. Thanks for reminding me of the idea!

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  01:03:22 AM  Show Profile
Julia...how smart you are girl! That is an awesome idea...that
I will tuck away in my files for future use. I love it!
Way to be Environmentally Pro-Active!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  07:37:49 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, this is one of 'those' projects that sits and sits and sits. I actually have a large garbage bag filled with scrap. i've changed my strategy slightly. When I'm working on a project and have some scraps..instead of just throwing them into the scrap bag, I'm cutting them into fabric salad right away and then putting them in the bag..that way they're ready to go immediately.

The weighty-ness of the pillows is significant, unlike the poly-fil, which I like for other projects but I have become a convert to scraps...When they are finely cut (think MaryJane's advice on eating salad with a spoon....if you don't know that gem of wisdom yet check out her ideabook) they are not lumpy in the pillow at all! I am tickled pink!! I'm starting to get so obsessed that I'm considering purchasing, locally, other peoples' scraps..That is, if my pillows sell well at a craft fair next month..see see....

Thanks for all the positive vibes. Warms me all over!! ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  4:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Juanita...that is the best gift idea a subscription to MJF Mag. I bought and sent
my Best friend an issue...because I knew she would love it but never would get around
to buying it for herself. I was right, she loved it so much she shared it with her
Mother and Sister and they loved it too. I was in Spokane WA last weekend and drove
25 miles to Couer d'Alene, ID and visited one of MJ's Stores there. It was nice but
had a little more bedding and linens than I was looking for and not enough of other
things but I did purchase, several wonderful Knitting Cards, 2 Special Magazines one
on her Cooking with her various products and one on Embroidery and Needlework. And
some of her homemade vanilla chapstick. I hear that her Moscow ID store is the best
one...maybe I will make it there one of these days. It was FUN!

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  9:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Juanita...gee whiz..was my fabric salad idea already in MaryJane's book? Heavens.. Here I was thinking I was all clever and I probably stole it from the book or one of her magazines!! I know for sure the eat the salad with a spoon idea is in there but not the mincing fabric to itty bits...That idea sure got in and simmered for a long time until now, years later here I am doing her thing!! I should post a picture of my salad bag. Hilarious!!

Peggy, I haven't been to the Moscow store and would love to go..Shopping on line is always quite lovely too...I love her stuff.....Just amazing!!! cheers.. ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  12:30:10 PM  Show Profile
Well regardless of where the idea came from, I think its great!! I'm always looking for something to do with all my scraps :) Thanks for the tip!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  04:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Does anybody know what the pictures are called that are made of little tiny scraps of fabric that are sewn across to hold them down? The colors are arranged to make scenes. I saw a couple at an art gallery. They were fairly large and must have taken a long time to put together. Does anyone know what it is called and how to make them?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric Salad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page