True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  2:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello All,
I have a mulberry tree in my yard that bears more berries than I can ever collect. The tree has gotten very tall & the branches are getting hard to reach. However, for the small amount I do collect, I'd love some ideas on what I can do with them other than eating them straight from the tree. This year I've only been able to collect about 3 cups worth. Probably not enough for pie. I'm tempted to take one of the ladders out there & pick more. Thanks in advance for any food creation ideas y'all might have.

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile
wonderful, crushed and put on vanilla ice cream, pancakes and waffles, added to lemonade and ice tea, and if you can get enough, jam.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  4:34:50 PM  Show Profile
Ooh! I like those ideas! Thank you!! Sounds so simple and yummy. Jam would be nice if only I could glean from the higher branches to get enough berries.

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  6:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Lyn,
If it needs cutting back anyway, see if you can "trim" some of the branches and pick the fruit off the fallen ones. The only reason the fruit is on the top of the tree is that there is not enough light. If you can trim out some of the inner branches, you will be able to re-generate the growth lower. DONT trim off more than 1/3 of your tree!

Good Luck!

I also love mulberries in waffles and pancakes. Lesson to be learned: don't mix mulberries with cool whip. It creates a chemical reaction that makes even the most beautiful looking dessert taste like soap!!!!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  05:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Grew up with a mulberry tree. Best consumed dripping wet from the pool or sprinkler in your bathing suit. Purple fingers, feet and face fade after repeated soakings in the chlorinated pool and laying in the sun to dry. If necessary put on a pair of shorts and shimmy up the tree to eat the ones at the top like a bird. Shoes optional. Be careful, if you can't get down your mom may not hear you calling for help for a LONG time. When she does hear you, she may not be able to find you right away. But, mulberries are SO worth it. Believe me, I know.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Amy, thanks for the chuckle. I'm assuming you speak from experience? But oh, the memories, I'm sure!
Joy, I don't know if it needs cutting back. It's just grown so tall and has taken all the branches up to the sky with it! My loss is the birds' gain! I did just strawberry pick today. I wonder if I could add the mulberries into the mix for making freezer jam?

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:47:57 AM  Show Profile
What about syrup for pancakes???

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  12:52:09 PM  Show Profile
lol Amy! lol haha My mom would always say, you've been eating the mulberries again, and I would say, no...not me, and wonder how she knew. Um, I guess I didn't figure the purple face, hands, and feet were noticeable! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm I remember mulberries from my childhood also, I would love to get my hands on a tree someday!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213

www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I have a huge mulberry tree in my perennial bed next to my deck. Needless to say the birds stain my deck a deep purple when their is fruit on it. My husband and I love mulberries so we put up with it every summer. I would love some more ideas on what to do with mulberries too. I still get a pretty good amount between the birds and chipmunks.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  6:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Mulberry and Rhubarb Jam
3 cups chopped mulberries
5 cups chopped rhubarb
5 cups sugar
2 pkgs cherry jello
Mix 1st 3 and boil until fruit is soft and thickened, maybe 10 minutes. Add jello, stir and simmer for a bit. Pour in sterilized jars and seal. This was so easy and tastes sooooo good.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  8:12:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for ideas, too! Have 2 mulberry trees that are producing a lot! We just moved here last fall, so we had no idea what they were until a few weeks ago.

I'm hoping to make jelly. I have 2 ice cream buckets full, and am not sure what else to do with it, other than let the kids eat them.
Dh cant' have anything with seeds, so I can't really make jam.. anyone have experience with making jelly out of them?

Joy- is it just cool whip they dont' mix well with ? what about real whipping cream?
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  7:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Amy, are you talking about those big ice cream buckets w/ the handle? If so, that's a LOT of berries! You can freeze them so they don't go bad until you know what to do with them. Too bad your DH can't eat them. I bet they'd make a good pie. We've just been picking ours as they ripen and eat them. It won't be long before gravity takes hold, they end up on the ground and ferment. It smells like wine in our backyard when this happens.

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  09:11:30 AM  Show Profile
yes, the gallon size buckets!!

I smashed some up last night and strained the pulp out, so I can make jelly.... but they smell awful!! I didn't add the sugar or anything yet.Hoping to make the jelly today now that the humidity is down. Is it just how they smell when cooking? I hope the jelly doesn't smell like that, it nearly made me sick.
My kids love to eat them fresh, so I might just let them go ahead and eat the rest.

the trees are still full of yet to ripen berries... maybe I could can syrup for pancakes?
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  9:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello - I have a mulberry tree next to back of our house. This year it was loaded and I made several 1/2 pint jars of syrup - to each pint of berries, add 1/3 c sugar, pinch of salt, 1 T cornstarch, 2 T water, 1 T lemon juice. Bring to a boil for 1-2 min until clear and slightly thickened. Stir carefully if you want pieces of the berries in your syrup. Can in a water bath for 10 min.
Go to Top of Page

Mich in Mich
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Michele
MI
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  05:08:31 AM  Show Profile
How about freezing them whole... then, this winter when you get a whopping snowstorm, you could make a warm and cozy mulberry cobbler, top it with good whipped cream and enjoy the taste if summer?

http://smilewinknod.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mulberry Ideas??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page