TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  5:50:30 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor just brought over some of his first picking of yellow squash. What are some of your favorite squash recipes?

Betsy
Farmgirl #1444

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  6:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Well mine is quite simple and I just fixed it tonight for supper. I dice my squash into small cubes and dice an onion in with it. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup cook until it gets tender then I add shredded cheese and stir in together, then add crushed ritz crackers to the top (I have added melted butter to the crackers where they are soggy but still a little crunchy) then bake a little longer so top lightly browns. Very simple and delish.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile
mmm, Karen, that sounds delish! My recipe's pretty simple too. Cut up the yellow squash into thin coins & steam. Saute some onions in butter. Add the steamed squash & some sour cream, diced chilies & shredded jack cheese. Heat in 350 oven for about 20 min.

Love...always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor 13:7
Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  8:33:29 PM  Show Profile
I freeze extra squashand and zucchini in 1/2 cup portions or dry the grated squash. I add it in everything over the winter, soups tacos, au gratin potato, just about everything. Good for extra fiber and veggies. I make a dry soup mix for my friends that camp and the dried squash goes great.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:36:57 PM  Show Profile
I like mine simple, just sauteed in a little butter with some sweet vidalia onion, salt and pepper. Always in a cast iron skillet (cuz that's all I ever cook in) until they have that yummy little caramalized edge on them.

Mmmmm...I had some for supper with my pork loin...I think I need to go grab the leftovers for a midnight snack

--Marie--
Farmgirl Sister #1627

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else” - J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  7:51:27 PM  Show Profile
I slice mine about 1/2" thick, and lay it out flat in a baking dish. (add sliced 'maters, too!) Then, I add a couple of pats of butter or drizzle w/ oil. Then I lightly salt it and sprinkle it with Montreal Steak seasoning very lightly. Bake in a 350 degree oven or toaster oven for about 20 minutes, until soft. Yummy! Oh, then I crumble some feta cheese on top.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  05:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great recipes. We're having a fish fry at Church tonight - now to decide which one to make ?

Betsy
Farmgirl #1444
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile
I know its been a while since this was posted, but I still thought I'd share. I always just steam mine in a sauce pan with a little water and a pinch of salt. Once tender, drain any left over water and add a pat or two of butter, and tada, instant and incredible easy side dish. Just the way my Mom fixed it... and my grandma... and so on...

Daddy never liked me playing in mud, but Mommy always just laughed and said "It won't hurt anything. She'll wash." Thanks Mom... Still playing in the dirt @ 27 and still loving it!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yellow squash recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page