Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Sometimes I get so terrifed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sometimes I get so terrifed Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  9:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I think of all the things in the world that could hurt or take my daughter from me. Today they called of the search for the missing Oregon boy, Kyron Horman. My heart just seizes in fear that someday someone could steal my daughter from me. Or a senseless crime take her from me, or someone convince her that she is worthless and that drugs would make it better etc.

I know every mom goes through these heart-freezing moments of near panic when confronted with the uglier sides of real life. I told Doug that if I can help it no one will ever truly harm Nora.

But in reality, it's not up to me. I can't there with her every day and every moment. At some point she will have to let go of my hand and stand on her own two feet. This day is rapidly approaching (to some extent).

And yet in a way I realize it IS up to me. I need to raise a smart, strong, savvy kid that knows how to repect her elders, play nicely with kids (even when they are mean to her), and understand innately her value in this world. It's up to me to teach her to repect the laws of the world, stand up for hers, educate herself on things that are important to her. It's up to me to teach her how to pick her battles and succede at goals. It's up to me to provide her with internal armor and tools to deal with all that life can throw at her.

She's already conquered her dad and me-- watch out world! You're next!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jun 14 2010 9:05:50 PM

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  04:21:54 AM  Show Profile
I cannot imagine what those parents are going through. I don't know all the details - only that their little boy is missing. Breaks my heart.

My daughters are 12 & 9. You're right, I think every Mom has these thoughts of "what if". We have to equip our children for anything these days. It is our job. My girls are becoming more independent - but at the same time need our guidance. They're not ready for the world and know it. I can still guide them and teach them. Prepare them for what lies ahead. It's a scary world out there and not getting any better. I pray daily for their life, safety and future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  06:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Alee....I know what you are saying, but I think it takes more than that. I think people around us have to be more proactive. There is a saying about taking a village to raise a child and that is very true!

I can't tell you how many times I have come across a situation where adults stood by and watched instead of doing something. Not me....

We as the "family" of man need to look out for each other-intercede when we know something that is happening is wrong and we need to step in and do something about it. I was never one for complacency and it has gotten me into the thick of things on more than one occasion!

From your post Alee...you are well on your way to achieving tender balance with your little girl and as a parent I would feel a whole lot safer living next door to such a caring, kind and "aware" neighbor!!

My heart sank when I heard the news yesterday-It is a sad commentary on our times, but we do continue to have hope don't we?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com

Edited by - melody on Jun 15 2010 06:10:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  06:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Agree, Melody!

We were at a picnic with some friends a couple of weekends ago. They have a son a couple months younger than Nora. Well their son was running all over the park which was packed cheek to jowl with people, and they weren't controlling him at all. I'm not exagerating when I say they were letting him get a city block away before one of the parents would go after him. It was crazy. Nora started to want to run after him and I had to constantly reign her in. When the mom of the little boy saw Nora getting punished for disobeying (I won't let her think it's a game to run away from us. That is just TOO scary for words) they finally disciplined their boy annnnd it lasted all of about 10 minutes. But without saying a single word, but by leading by example towards the end of the picnic they were watching their little boy closer and were asking for parenting tips (potty training ect).

It made me really sad the other day as I made a late night run to Wal-Mart to get "sick food" for Doug, I saw 5 middle school kids out and walking/riding bikes on the roads. It was pitch black out and not one of them had light colored clothes on, not to mention growing up when I was that age, my curfew was 9pm!

It just scares me because our town is a major interstate junction. Ever parent hopes and prays and in some way always thinks the "worst" won't happen to them. People start feeling safe letting kids roam around the town in the dark until something happens and unfortunatly it is often the kids who find themselves way in over their heads without coping skills.

I am so lucky to have good level headed friends and family that can point out holes in my parenting logic! :D Parenting is such an important job. It takes constant vigilance not to mess it up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  06:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Alee...As a parent the challenges are ever evolving. I had a friend mention to me now she could relax because the hard part of parenting was over-I told her this challenge is over, but there will always be new ones!

I grew up during a time when we didn't lock our doors or windows and we could let our kids go outside and RUN! That time is long gone and it's really very sad. My children will not know what it was like to play Hide "n" Seek well after dark or run to the corner store for a quart of milk "alone." We just have to be more aware of what is going on around us. I hate the thought of my children being forced to be conscious that there are real "boogymen" out and about. I wish that we lived in a perfect world but we don't; the innocence is lost.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:07:15 AM  Show Profile
I had a brief moment where I couldnt find my son. He was with a babysitter brought along on a shopping trip for the business. I thought I was going to burst. I called 911 because security wouldnt get off their butts to help. When I called the police they suddenly seemed much more interested. I found him a short time later but I just took him to the car where we sat for half an hour or so while I cried and shook. I couldnt even drive. That was the first time I had a babysitter....and the last. I dont have the trust anymore.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Psalms 23 always helps me. Maybe it will help you!
Prayers for all you parents going out! Remember the lord is your sheperd....
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Very good Channah! I am going to keep that psalm next to my heart...

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Alee I hear ya. With us doing so many military moves and not being around people we know for more than a few months or a couple of years max it really is challenging to be comfortable with letting my kids off of my apron strings. My daughter came to me a few years ago and said even though we'd done a great job at giving her different experiences, she didn't feel like she could protect herself when she started going out on her own and she wanted to take martial arts for a while. So that's what we did. She got to about her green belt in Tae Kwon Do and said she wanted to stop because at that level she felt as though she could take care of herself. And it gave me some peace of mind knowing that if she was out she could take care of herself.

Farmgirl Sister #1690 "Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."
- Tien Yiheng
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  5:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Alee, my children are grown but I still have that feeling sometimes when I can't seem to get hold of them quick enough. I would say if you did not have that fear you might not be a good mother, because a good mother is always looking out for their children even when we know that are safe. OK I wasn't going to say with Dad but I did. LOL

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  6:20:55 PM  Show Profile
Alee I know how you feel. I was called an over proctected mom but my sons are wonderful men now and they never cared that I would check in on them all the time. I still do. I believe in prayer and when I am asked how did I (a working single mom) raise 2 sons who turned out well. (One gave me a tougher time) I just prayed more and taught them a saying I think all kids should learn.. The only thing you take with you when you die is your name so make it a good one...

It's a scary world out there and I think your a good mom for keeping your child close. There are a lot of strange people out there, it's a sad fact but one we need to teach our children.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  8:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Ladies! I really appreciate all your words of support, love, and guidance. I got home from work today and it seemed like Nora had changed so much/learned so much today. It really is amazing to watch these young kids. My mom says it is like having a rare flower and you get to watch it slowly bloom.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  9:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Your welcome Melody!! I get scared alot and reading that verse really helps me.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  07:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
I'm probably older than most of you - my kids are grown and one is now married, but I remember that gripping fear of losing one of my children. We home schooled and so they were with me much of the time, but the realization of disease, accidents, etc always made me hover over them and react at the slightest provocation. Then, my older cousin's 16 year old son died suddenly of a heart attack. A strong, handsome basketball player! He just walked in after a game, complained that he didn't feel well and died. THAT really hit home. It was then that I stumbled across a scripture in Isaiah 57 that I have treasured ever since. I was reading in the NIV version:
"The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil."

I thought about that and realized that I couldn't read the future, but God can. He knows what is ahead for each of us, including my children, and he spares us from evil!! There is so much evil in the world. It comforted me to know that God was taking care of my little ones and that if He saw that the future was too horrible for them, He would take care of that too. I actually got relief from my fear.
Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sometimes I get so terrifed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page