Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 So, is there hope for a slow knitter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic So, is there hope for a slow knitter? Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  11:27:51 AM  Show Profile
I've been knitting off and on for about 6 years, never consistently enough to really get good at it. One of the reasons I don't do it all the time is that I am so darn slow, which means it takes forever to finish a project, which means I get discourage, which means....well you probably get the picture.
So here is my question - are some people just knitting-impaired, or do you think if I keep up at it I will get fast enough that I can realistically complete large projects.
I've probably completed 12 projects total, and I have learned some of the more complicated steps but I just never seem to get any faster.
I know this probably seems like a silly question, but sometimes I doubt myself and need some backup:)
So anyway, what do you think?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jun 12 2010 11:28:53 AM

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  12:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, I think if you keep working at it, it will become easier. I know when I started knitting, it was quite hard to get the hang of it, but if you keep practicing, you will get better, and hopefully faster. I think there is hope for all slow knitters!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

CyndiAnn
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cyndi
Crystal MN
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  1:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, I've been knitting for about four years and am by no means fast! It's how I relax in the evening - there's something about the rhythm of it - and I want to be accurate, so I don't worry about being fast. I agree with Megan - if you keep working at it, you'll get better!
CyndiAnn
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  3:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Amy, do you knit English or Continental? I used to knit English and always felt really slow and then I taught myself to knit continental and I love it so much. So much faster and less stress on my joints as it uses much smaller movements.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  5:26:57 PM  Show Profile
With anything if you concentrate on accuracy first the speed will come later. Hang in there! I have been knitting since I was in middle school and I don't consider myself a "fast" knitter but I am accurate!!

Don't give up-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Speed & accuracy will come with practice. Are you a right handed knitter or left handed? That can make a difference also. Just keep practicing & I promise it will get better!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  6:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, knitting is a hobby, not a contest. There will always be someone who is faster than you, or thinks that their way is "better". Just relax and enjoy the process.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  08:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rosemary, I know I need to slow down sometimes, but I would like to get a little faster so I know if I started a project it wouldn't take me 6 months to finish it. You lose your initial excitement of creation when it drags on that long, or I do anyway.
Siobhan, I think I knit Continental, I know I am a thrower, rather than a picker but my attempts to change that make my hands cramp so I've given up.
Karla - I am right-handed so I should have that advantage anyway.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  08:35:52 AM  Show Profile
AmyGrace,

I teach knitting to adults and children of all ages. The main thing I have to get through to my students (mainly the adults, lol) is that knitting is not a competition. You go at your own speed. And if you only ever knit a scarf, you are still a knitter. Let go of your worries that you don't knit fast enough, perfect enough, etc. etc. It will all come with time and practice, and when you stop stressing about it and enjoy it. Maybe you have taken on projects that are too "big" for you. Start smaller and build from there, and then you won't get as frustrated. Good luck!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  08:44:26 AM  Show Profile
I have been knitting for about forty years and I am not a fast knitter. Some things that have easy patterns take less time but I am really picky so to save me from taking things apart I slow down. It isn't a competition it is just a way to relax and keep my hands busy. I can never just sit. Don't worry about it and just enjoy the moment.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Okay - this is funny. I don't think of myself as a type A personality, at least at home, at work I work with deadlines etc. a lot - I appreciate my down time and try not to over-commit myself, but as I'm reading your answers to my dilemma I'm starting to wonder if maybe I am a little bit type A, am I trying to put quotas on my leisure time activities? I think I need to examine myself a bit - odd way to come about self-reflection but that's what farmgirl friends are for....
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace...I am a type A Personality and I have been knitting for as long as you have.
I am neither fast or slow...but I can easily get tired and frustrated with larger projects.
Type A Personalities usually want quicker results (thus, am I knitting to slow????) I find
that when I start a bigger project, like right now I am knitting my 2 yr. old grand-daughter and
her mommy matching Ponchos. I have the 2 yr old's done but not finished with mommies. Rather tired
of mommies...it is taking forever. So, to get myself out of that 'funk'...I knit wash clothes
every single night to relax and yet have quick results in something. I always keep them on hand
because they are great for swapping or to put a couple with a scubbie and give as a small gift
to someone. In fact I have swapped 40 wash clothes this month alone. So, my advice is have one
bigger project going and one easy-peasy smaller one where you see quick results and don't get
discouraged. I have a couple of good wash cloth books I can recommend or you can go on line and
get free patterns by just doing a google search. Hope this helps! From one type A to another
blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks PeggyAnn - the small project/big project idea sounds like a good one. I had tried knitting a washcloth once but it was in a pebble stitch which is super slow for me and so I sort of gave up - go figure:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  1:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Amy, if you are a thrower, you knit English. I tried once to learn continental and couldn't catch onto the technique and gave up. Well, about a year later I watched another video on youtube and the way they showed it was much more understandable and the purling technique was a lot easier than the first one I had tried. I picked it up really quickly and now I am a "picker" - most of the time, as I still like using English if I am doing more intricate patterns.

Here is the video I learned from if you ever have spare time and want to watch it and give it a try:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  4:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Siobhan - I will keep that youtube site for when we get high-speed internet, at the moment we have an oooold computer and dial-up:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  07:14:00 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
I am also a very beginner knitter, and was frustrated with how long it took. One day I just kept looking at how the stitches formed and figured out if I held it differently it would go faster, and kinda started doing my own thing. This is with knit, haven't done it with pearl yet. Later I came across info on continental knitting and realized I was doing my own version of this. It is almost twice as fast and really fun. I do mostly washcloths, sitting on the couch at night, and do them in all knit. It is so relaxing it is like therapy. Either way though, it is supposed to be the process that is fun so take a breath and relax, just enjoy what you are doing!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are."
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  07:28:02 AM  Show Profile
I also do Continental. English method would take me FOREVER! Lol. I also have to pick small projects or I get discouraged. I know at one point, I was whipping out dog sweaters and my husband said: "Why don't you ever knit the kids a sweater?". I think that my seething expression said enough. I can't stay focused on one thing for that long! It has to be a hat, a dishtowel, a scarf, or a tiny dog sweater. That's as big a project as I ever take on!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Amanda...I left a comment on your Fire-Ants Story on your blog-site.
It brought back some painful memories! LOL

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 16 2010 10:31:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  7:03:52 PM  Show Profile
I read the fire ants story too and laughed out loud!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  9:23:47 PM  Show Profile
LOL...that ants! That story made my day, Amanda :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  9:30:24 PM  Show Profile
OMG...I just read further down in the blog about Wayward...girl...you are too funny! The chicken ponytail is a riot and the collect call conversation....funny...just funny...definitely going to keep an eye on your blog for a good laugh when I need it. OK...sorry Amy, back on topic of knitting :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic So, is there hope for a slow knitter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page