Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Horse farms.. advice and thoughts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Horse farms.. advice and thoughts Next Topic  

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, this is in my 50 year plan.

I would like to someday own a horse farm, just some girlhood dream. I know very little about horses and farming in general. What would be the best advice you could give someone like me. What would be the best books to read. What would be some of your learn as you go lessons, that you learned. Best Websites to go on to learn about things.

We would like horses, chickens, and goats, we already know there would be scottish terriers involved, since they are close to my heart. You ladies on here give the best advice.

Em

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  7:53:54 PM  Show Profile
If you want to work with horses the best thing to do to get started is to find someplace to volunteer that has horses. There are usually rescues I know there is one in PA somewhere as I have a friend that lives in Scranton and she says there is one there. If you can't find a rescue try a local riding stable or the SPCA.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  8:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Beth! The best way to learn is by getting some hands on experience. Reading books/watching videos etc is all well and good, but there is nothing like good old fashioned experience. Also one thing to remember is if someone is telling you that you have to have a specific piece of fancy dancy equipment to get a horse to do something simple like lead, back etc they are selling something. The Mugwump Chronicles (blog) are good down to earth pleasurable reading but good tips can be gleaned along the way. Also sometimes you county ag agent or farm bureau offers classes about farming- those are good to take too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chickenwrangler
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Julie
Eastanollee Ga
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:25:22 AM  Show Profile
You've already been given some good advice. To extend what my sisters said; you might contact the local large animal vet to see if they know of any farms that would be agreeable to a visitor with lots of questions. Or better yet, find the local farrier. Our farrier knows more about horses than anyone I know because all he does is work with horses all day, every day. He also breeds and trains horses. I live in Georgia so he wouldn't be much help to you but maybe you could find someone like him in your neck of the woods. Good luck!

farmlife blog at www.maytreefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:19:56 AM  Show Profile
Research, research and research some more, with tons of on hands work /experience too. I would very strongly advise doing alot of voulenter work and learn as you go...Livestock is a 365 day a year commitment, whether you are sick, its raining/snowing or 100 degrees. It can also be a very costly adventure; feed, vet bills, shoer's, trainers, etc, plus having the proper housing and pasture for said animals. Not trying to bring you down, just want to to have some good knowledge before you jump in and swim or sink.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:59:31 AM  Show Profile
All I can think about is cost....lol. Horses can be expensive to maintain. I have been advised by friend's husband (a farrier) to never get one! Lol. They have 5. :0) But seriously, I'd do what the others have advised...and that is to get involved with people who already own them, and learn from them.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  10:47:27 AM  Show Profile
My advice? Honestly, I wouldn't do it. If you're just going to keep a couple horses around for a hobby, that is one thing. But the horse business is not all that great - my family has been in the horse business since 1986 and it is rough. You have to love, love, love it. At one time I was managing three farms and somewhere between 35-40 horses. Plus teaching in my lesson program. Plus mares, a stud, foals, and young stock. It is all-consuming. You get hurt - physically and emotionally. You make money; then you loose it. Most horse farms have staff; as I was.
Most people in the horse business have spent their whole life in the horse industry - teaching, training, breeding, showing, learning. I do it now because it is how I was raised and it is what I know. I love it with a sick kind of passion. People thought I would quit when I got kicked in the face by my horse one time - but I didn't. I got out of surgery and went to the barn the next day. But I have also experienced burnout, wanting to quit, loosing everything and having to start all over. I don't mean to sound negative, because it is a great dream to have - but I would make sure you are ready to give 100% to it, because it will require 100% to work. Sometimes 150%. If you know what I mean. :P I know I sound synical (sp?) but I have lived the horse farm thing my whole life......

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mandymcar
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Mandy
Montana
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  05:14:09 AM  Show Profile
Save up your money, as you will need lot's of it, for lan,d buildings, tack and vet bills!

There is a website I really like called www.horseadvice.com it is maintained by a vet and has lots of good advice.

http://www.haystackstudio.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  06:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Look for books by Cherry Hill, she has written some excellent books for anyone who is interested in having horses. Second, when you do look for a farm, start small....4-5 acres that already has a small barn, fencing, etc. That way you don't have to start from scratch. Read as much as you can online and find a place locally that gives riding lessons for adults. You'll learn alot and sometimes they will also teach basic horsekeeping. Having horses is alot of work but it's also alot of fun. If you want to chat, email me and I'd be happy to talk horses with you. Live your dream!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Emily - I have 3 horses and board one. I love them but they are more complex than they first seem. Just like freshening a goat for the first time...it would seem quite straight forward but until you do it, you just don't know how complex it can be. Horses are powerful and beautiful animals yet they, like most animals have strong weakness too. They stress easily, flight is the normal reaction to that stress and they break stuff and themselves. Books are good to read...I am a reader but books do not tell it like it is. If I ever write a book, I will be telling it like it is.
Get some hands on experience - Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Horses, like dogs, are social animals with a strong heirarchal sense, and group dynamics. There are dominant and less dominant animals and as someone who plans to own them, you will become part of their "herd," and will have to deal with that mentality. Also, they are very expensive to maintain, so start saving up! Housing, feed, health care, foot care, tack, are just some of the things you may expect when keeping them!

***PLEASE VOTE FOR ME BY JULY 3rd!...for Oprah Winfrey's Talk show Challenge! http://myown.oprah.com/audition/index.html?request=add_video&entity_id=208234280

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW:
JUNE 6th 6pm EST "Coop" author Mike Perry!
http://therenegadefarmer.com/
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
I agree with what everyone has said, and it may be hard to hear but Hosanna is right on. If you are going to raise horses and have a stallion, well there is a reason everyone inseminates now. But if I have one piece of advice it is Insurance. If you can not afford good liability insurance do not get a horse. They will get out of the fence, barn, etc, no matter how good it is. If they do not get hurt or kill themselves in the process they will cause damage in the neighborhood. If someone hits a loose horse with their car you are 100% responsible and if the driver gets seriously hurt or killed you can loose your property. It happened to a neighbor years ago. A deer breaks the fence and my horses are out smashing backyard fountains, eating gardens, putting big holes in manicured lawns and in a matter of minutes. Police get called, you get bills to fix the destruction, not fun. Good insurance all the way.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  1:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Everyone is giving good sound advice. I was speaking like a hobby farm type deal, nothing over the top, in terms of a business, if any at all. I will start looking for a place to volunteer at and "come what may"

Thanks all
Em

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  3:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Emily - I can't remember if you said how old you are. I know many adults who have had a dream of a horse since childhood. After a few mistakes, they have found a horse or more that they can handle and enjoy. Finding a trusted person who would not sell you anything which wouldn't fit with your experience is important. I can tell you that if you find a horse which fits with your personality and you ride through the woods or meadow === there is something about it which words have a hard time describing. But at any moment, a horse can shy at something and there is an upset. You always hope you won't get hurt seriously.

Dreams, hopes are what makes life delightful - Em, dream, learn and try to make your dream come true but as safely as you can. Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  4:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Remember, there is no such thing as a truely "bomb proof" horse, and anyone that tells you they have been a horse person all their life, and they've never been thrown, kicked or stepped on is a liar. I think where you had girls alittle cofused, is that you said "Horse Farm", which usually means a breeding/training facility, which includes foaling and stud management. This is something you ether have done all your life, and or was born into it, it also is a very expensive business, with lots of heartache. I hope you find a place where you can learn from the ground up, and when you are truely ready, emotionaly and financialy, you find the right horse for you.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  8:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Another good way to start getting some experience is seeing if there is a rental stable in your area that you could start working/volunteering at. Rent string horses are usually pretty manageable compared to private horses and may be a good place to start getting some experience under your hat. I've had and trained horses for most of my life and they are amazing animals that definitely enhance your life like you can't imagine. On the other hand they can be dangerous/deadly if you don't know what you are doing and get put in a bad situation. They are at the lower end of the food chain and as such, act like it. They enrich your life like nothing else but get ALOT of hands on experience before you buy one of your own. Reading books is helpful, but in this instance it cannot substitute for gettin' dirty. :-)

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  8:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever heard the term "Horse Poor" ? I recommend a healthy trust fund, or very large income to support your "horse habit". I worked for 6 years at horseback riding camps and different horse "farms" before I went to Univ. of Findlay for their equine science program, luckily I figured it out very quickly and went into another line of work. I've had a horse in some capacity up until this year, I have young children and finally gave up on horses (for now). I gave my beautiful gelding to someone who's recently retired and has lots of $$ to spoil him with. Take lots of horseback riding lessons, volunteer at any horse facility that will take you, and be willing to work hard. Leasing a horse is a fabulous way to start!
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  11:14:09 AM  Show Profile
I have horses, including a stallion. I do agree with what many others have said, but I will also say that if you are smart about it, and practical and have the resources you can make horses part of your life. All through my high school years and into my 20's I braided horses for english shows, went around the the stables and picked up and laundered winter rugs, pads and bandages (people dont want horse stuff in their home laundry for some reason, go figure) and did some basic blanket repair and cleaned tack in order to pay for my horses. It worked. The only reason I stopped is that I got busy with kids and family. I taught lessons all the way through and coached for pony club events as well. Now I dont do any of that commercial stuff. I breed a few quality foals each year. I have a waiting list for my babies and the day I dont is the day I will stop. I chose a breed that is very even tempered to work with, but a stallion is STILL difficult to handle and even the kindest one can turn on you in a minute. I would suggest finding a local person who is certified, who can help you get your feet wet. Maybe you will decide to breed warmbloods like me, or maybe you will get mini's. I think a dream is worth pursuing, but dont wish for tomorrow, get started today, and change your plans as you discover what you want to do. It really depends on your area as well, some areas have much higher cost boarding and better markets. I am not in one of those areas.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Horse farms.. advice and thoughts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page