Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pass the butter please! Next Topic  

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  03:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Pass The Butter ... Please.

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?
Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.
Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!
Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.
Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..
Very High in Trans fatty acids .
Triples risk of coronary heart disease .
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..
Lowers quality of breast milk.
Decreases immune response.
Decreases insulin response.

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:
Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:
* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)
* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Edited by - yarnmamma on Jun 07 2010 03:46:08 AM

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  05:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I knew it was "suspect", being man made but had no idea just how badly it can affect our health. Absolutely LOVED your last sentence, too! Thanks for sharing this with everybody, Linda. Have a great day! Nance
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile
YUCK-

It took us a while as cost was an issue with DH...but we only buy butter now and exactly for your reasons stated!

Thank you for SPREADING the word!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  09:12:49 AM  Show Profile
I had heard this before, in fact, several years ago when I was only 44 I had a heart attack. Afterward I attended rehab and that was discussed margarine vs. butter, they say butter is better! Still today people ask me why I eat butter and not margarine!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  12:12:54 PM  Show Profile
First of all, I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat food that is made in a laboratory anyway. Secondly, margarine tastes terrible in recipes...it just really does! Bleech!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  1:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm old enough to remember those packs of white stuff with the little orange "tablet" in the center. You broke the tablet open and massaged it around in the white stuff. I want to do more research on the turkey subject. Makes sense that if the turkeys died that they would feed it to humans. LOL

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Thweattheart
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Julie
New York NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  1:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I will always choose the "real" thing over anything artificial and after reading your post it just reminds me of why...

Julie~
If not me...then who?
If not now...then when?

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile
Yummy butter! Thank you Linda, I didn't know about the turkeys! Margerine tastes nasty anyway. Thing just go better with butter =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  1:50:10 PM  Show Profile
So those "butterball" turkeys are really margarine balls? ugh!
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  6:53:19 PM  Show Profile
OH WOW! thanks for the info.......and with corn on the cob season just 'round the corner, I'll continue to buy BUTTER!

So is the spreadable butter equally as bad as margarine?

If so I'll be purchasing a few of those corn on the cob ear cradles and just melt my butter in one of these!

In some recipes I do not substitute margarine for butter. If calories are the deal breaker, i'll usually just consume less!

and the real thing is for sure far tastier!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  8:07:43 PM  Show Profile
My Grandma always uses margarine, even though I tell her that there's really no difference and that butter is actually better for you! I think that's disgusting about the whole plastic thing!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  05:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for this info. It's getting to where you just don't know what to eat. All natural is the way and if you know where it's from.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  07:41:29 AM  Show Profile
i love this post. if God did not make it i usually do not eat it. i am a little higher risk. i am the canary in the mine with my dna flaw. i always like learning the trivia of a subject. the details. so knowing about turkeys is enlightening. makes me wonder what they feed them now. i do grow mt own. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  12:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I had no idea. Sure appreciate the info!

Love...always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor 13:7
Living Simply & Naturally
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  2:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I grew up eating margarine because I was allergic to dairy but now I won't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole. Real butter all the way for me!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  9:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm SO glad you posted this, my late dh had a heart attack about 15 yrs. ago, his cardiologist recommended we start using butter instead of margarine and we did. I have a neighbor down the road who suffered a slight heart attack a couple yrs. ago, her dr. told her to stay away from butter and use the "fake stuff", she's pretty hard headed and I cannot for the life of me convince her that "real" is better than margarine, or the artificial spreads. I did forward this to her and she said it made sense, but also confused her.....oh well, I tried, and I'm so glad I still use the real thing!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  9:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda, thank you so much for posting this information! I've told so many people over the years that margarine is the equivalent of plastic and some of them look at me like I've got 4 eyes....or the funniest one is the sympathetic look as if to say "poor thing, she's lost it completely"!! I didn't know about the turkeys and I didn't know about the fly/bug test. I absolutely love your last statement!!! I will pass that info onto several! Thank you! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jun 11 2010 9:21:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Just say no to Frankenfoods. Real butter all the way!

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pass the butter please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page