Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 New to the Gulf coast. Bad hurricane outlook?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic New to the Gulf coast. Bad hurricane outlook? Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  12:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
This will be the first full hurricane season here on the Gulf Coast. Last year was very silent, Thank God!! But I have seen on TV that they are expecting a whooper of a year this season.

I got a check list from Lowe's. But please tell me your experiences and what you do. If it is going to be really bad, we will be leaving for San Antonio. Can you give me hints on what I really need to think about.

Thank you very much.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy:
I live in SW Louisiana. We are very familiar with hurricane preparation. If you don't have a generator it would be wise to get one. If you are staying put for a category 1 or 2 hurricane, you may loose electricity. A generator would help to keep the things in your refrigerator good, give you some light. If the weather reporters are predicting a category 3 or 4 hurricane, depending on where the hurricane is going to hit (and that's a guessing game, because they change directions at a drop of a hat), I would get to a safe place. Don't wait to leave the day before a hurricane is expected to hit, the traffic will be horrible.
But if you are staying get lots of bottled water, put water in the tub, get loaves of bread- foods that you can eat that you do not have to cook. If you
have animals, dogs or cats or barn animals, do not pen them up if the hurricane is a category 3 or above. We have flooded twice in the last five years. I've seen too many animals that have drowned because of being penned up. If the hurricane is a 4 or 5 category, and you have time before you get out of town, take everything out of bottom drawers, bookcases, closets, etc... move everything as high-up as you can. We were flooded for Hurricane Rita and that was a category 3. If the hurricane hits and you are on the east side, you'll get the rain, rain, rain, and possible storm surge. The storm surges bring in the floods. We've been through two floods since 2005. Be safe. This is also a good time to get important papers together just in case you have to get out of town. Have all of that ready to go. Oh, and a list of telephone numbers of importance is good to put with the important papers. Also, have your insurance imformation availiable. One of the most important things I can say is if you ever come back to a flooded home, don't touch any electrical things. Turn off the multi-breaker first. Be safe! Keep in touch with me. Hurricane season begins on June 1st. Usually the Gulf Coast doesn't get the really mean and ugly hurricanes until August/ September. I hope I haven't scared you, that was not my intention. I'm only giving you advice from things that I've been through, and things I do to prepare. And-Amy, is the weather reporters say the hurricane is going to be a category 5, don't think about leaving, go!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Marly has given excellent guidance. Although, as she said, we don't usually see the big hurricanes till August/September, now is the time to get your supplies.
We keep our canned goods stocked up and also plywood to cover the windows. We also stay supplied with our pet needs and medications.
Our generator has been a life saver for us during both Rita and Ike, not only for saving our frozen food but we ran a little one-room window air conditioner unit at night so we could at least be cooler and get some sleep and a couple of box fans during the day while we waited for our electricity to be restored (three weeks without power after Hurricane Rita).

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  11:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Thank you very much. No, you aren't scaring me.

I was down here a few weeks after Ike. We had been planning to stay in Galveston. So we changed plans and stayed in San Antonio.

In Ike, my SIL's awning got ripped off and some shingles got taken off. She stayed in her closet thru the whole mess with her four dogs. We begged her to leave early, but she wouldn't. She had a bad time leaving for Rita. So she swears that she won't leave no matter what.

We are deciding on a generator right now. We can't put an A/C on any of the windows. So that will be something that we will have to figure out. There are dogs only. We will take them with us if we decide to leave.

I have used two weeks supple to figure what to put away.

We have electric and no gas. So we will be using a grill. So I figured four to six bags of charcoal. Because we can use camping cookware on the grill. We can also boil water on it.

We have two tubs. I will fill them last minute. I could fill the washing machine to. That would be extra water. But I don't think it would be suitable for drinking. The development we live in has a gas powered water pump backup. So I am sure we would have some water, but not drinkable.

Lowe's has the 32 bottle bottled water. So I have to think about how much three adults and one child would need.

I think we would need four to six bags of dog food.

Then I need to stock up on cans.

Flashlights, batteries, candles.

That is where we are so far.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  7:11:15 PM  Show Profile
I have been sitting through hurricane's since I was 11. Water and ice are the big things you need to think about. We evacuated during Rita and took 49 animals with us. I had just had surgery. I will from then forward only evacuate for Cat 3 and above. We stayed for Ike with the two horses while my daughter evacuated with the rest of the animals. It was a total waste for her to go. If you are going it is best to go when they first start evacuating if you wait it is too late. Water, Ice, and food you can eat without cooking. We have a gas stove so we could use the stove and the barbeque after Ike. Check for tree branches that might hit the house. Lanterns and lights that use batteries and a weather radio are very useful. My sister and I stayed here for Ike and read by candle light and listened to the radio once or twice a day to save batteries.; Also, gasoline is important because you won't be able to get any for days. We don't have to worry to much about the flooding in the Houston area because we don't have the levies like New Orleans. Generators are a lot of trouble because you have to have gasoline or diesel to run them. We did fine without a generator. Just open the windows and deal with it. Clean up is hard but not to bad. We have had the down stairs flooded etc. but all of it can be handled as long as all the living things come through ok. We start collecting food about this time of year. Buy a gallon of water every time we go to the grocery store and try to buy a couple of things that we can eat. Wind is the biggest problem for us. I would leave for a Cat 3 or over but for a 1 or 2 I am staying put. They do say this year is going to be bad but I have heard that before. Good luck to all of us.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  05:31:36 AM  Show Profile
As someone who lives on the path from Houston to Dallas...if you're leaving, leave early and leave WELL PREPARED. People were stranded in their vehicles for hours and hours. And if you're stuck in a jam, TURN OFF THE CAR. People ran out of gas and were stranded all up and down the highways. Bring plenty of water for yourselves and your dogs (!!!!!) if you do leave as well as non-perishable foods. Last time, people waited until the last minute to evacuate, and weren't even able to leave due to the terrible volume of traffic, and then they ran out of gas. Be sure to leave your tank FULL if you know a hurricane is on it's way. The lines to the pumps are nuts, even here, 3 hours out of Houston. And the hotels are completely packed, too. I'm glad you have a place to go! :0)

THe good thing, is that you know that it's coming, unlike a tornado, so you have time to prepare. I'd be darn sure to stock up by the end of June, and keep stocked up, just in case, though. Nothing like trying to go and get batteries/water/gas at the last minute! During Ike (and Rita, et al), girl, you COULD NOT find 'D' Batteries! They were worth their weight in gold, I'm serious! lol. And, like I say, I'm waaaay to the north. But people tend to go nuts and buy up everything. It was crazy! BTW, my favorite flashlight is the new LED type. They are by far the brightest, though it's the size of a Mini-Mag lite, and they take AAs. I'd get some of those big packs of AAs :0D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm praying for you farmgirls. Please keep us all updated.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Got a LED lantern. It takes D batteries, but it is suppose to go a month and a half on a set of batteries. Bought extra D's and AA's.

We are making the decision on the generator. It is going to cost around 500 - 600 dollars. So we want the most for our money.

So I am buying something each trip. I think I'll get another LED lantern next Lowe's trip. There is tons of scented candles here that were given thru the years as gifts. So I guess we will use them up to. Only in the kitchen and to be blown out at night.

We have the plywood from Ike for the odd shaped windows in the room with the vaulted ceiling. They are still in good shape. All the patio furniture will come into the living room. The only tree is in the front yard.

That is where I am.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Marie
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lisa Marie
Lakeland FL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  09:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey Amy,

Welcome to the south coast. We live in central Florida, similar in distance from the actual coast as Houston. A generator is a huge investment in cost, space, fuel if you don't need to run elec for medical reasons I'ld think hard before doing it. Have been in Florida for 30 years, been thru several hurricans, the loss of power is hit and miss. It's been out longer during afternoon thunderstorms.

Our tv stations put out guides each year with great suggestions and maps of the area for evacuation and likly flood zones. Emergency services here say if you are not in an evacuation area to stay put and allow those that are the abilty to use the roads and get out.

All that being said, use common sense, don't get caught up in the histaria, shut off the 24 hr coverage of it (it will wear you out) just check in for updates. If your scared fill up the gas tank, get some cash and get out of town till it passes.

Peace and God bless

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  11:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Well, with the five year old, it is kind of a necessary. Power goes out here often as it is.

George even is getting battery back up pumps for his fish tanks.

We can only put A/C in one window in the house. And as hot and humid as it is here, it isn't possible to go days and days without it.

We live on the eastside of Houston. It took the worst of Ike in 2008. We aren't a 45 minute drive from Galveston. Kemah is 15 minutes. (Galveston Bay)

Farmgirl #1259

Edited by - MrsRooster on Jun 14 2010 11:44:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Amy - I'm praying that it will be a quiet hurricane season, but just in case, my home in North Texas is always open to you.

Betsy
Farmgirl #1444
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  07:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am very grateful.

Hubby has decided which generator that he is going to get. It is a Troy Built. A window A/C is next on the list.

It is all kind of overwhelming. So we get a bit every time we go out.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Thought I'd add my two cents here, I moved to Florida in 2004 from No. CA. just in time for the Jeanne and Francis Hurricane's on the East coast of Florida. What a nightmare! We were out of power for 10 days afterward, and the trash and debris was piled high in the streets for a month afterwards! Now, having said that, those were the first in several years so people weren't prepared, but now since then, everyone is better prepared and a generator the next year was very helpful, we only ran it for the daylight hours and we did plug in a fan(a big one) because it's very hot and muggy afterward and not much air circulating after a storm...if you don't have Electricity, a fan is a beautiful thing! We have a hand crank radio and flashlights which are wonderful! We also have a couple portable lanterns with plenty batteries, so we can play games, or read or whatever! We take lots of naps...we have a pool so we use it for taking a dip and getting cool! we also lower all of our lawn furniture into the pool so it doesn't blow away during a hurricane. It's a good idea to start consolidating all small things in the yard like birdhouses, small pottery,windchimes, etc...and bring it up to the house. Anything that may have flying capabilities in sustained winds, gets moved in. All potted plants come up next to the house, but away from the windows because you need to be able to put up the shutters and you don't want things in your way...it's hot and sultry and you want to be able to do all that extra work fast! Ice chests with extra ice and supplies are nice to have ahead! Picnic supplies, silverware, etc...paperplates, that can be tossed are nice...it's hard to do dishes when there's no electric and sometimes no clean water! We have city sewer with grinder stations, so bathroom breaks are limited, once the grinder is full with no power, you have no toilets! So, limited flushes! It's always a good idea to think of it as an adventure and a wild campout, and make it fun, so you don't dwell on the inconveniences! We try to make the most of it...I journal and read during them and write letters, etc! Make sure anyone that takes meds has a good surplus in case you don't have power, etc. for several days. Usually the stores run out of supplies, so stock up early! We stock up on things like jerky, dried fruit, and I usually try to pack some fun things that we wouldn't normally eat...just to make it fun, like it's a campout instead of disaster!
P.S.
*It's a good idea to have an old phone backup that will work during a power outage, the new digital read kind won't work when the power is out, but an old style phone will work...we keep one in the closet for this purpose...
**I just saw that Costco has 5 gal buckets with 274 meals packed in them for disasters...I don't know what they consist of, but I thought I'd check it out and see, next time I'm there....they were $75...(I saw it in their coupon book). Our closest Costco is an hour away.
***a little extra cash is nice also, cuz some ATM's and Banks aren't open...we had a few banks that the roofs blew off ....
The streets were flooded and restaurants weren't open, so pack food for the road if you try to leave!
**after the first hurricane, the second one we ventured off to Disney and all the world was a magical place...you actually forgot about all the devastation!!!! You didn't even remember that there were hurricanes until you got to the parking lot to get in the car!!!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  4:46:31 PM  Show Profile
this may sound stupid, but.....aluminum foil!! Jeanne, Francis and Wilma all went right over my house, it was like there was a big bull's eye on my roof! everyone gave great advice.....when we were cooking with our charcoal grill (forever!) i found that i could open a can of vegtables/beans, whatever, pour it in a "pouch" made of foil and heat it up on the grill too, with the meat. this way, you don't get all that black soot on your pots and don't have to wash them. i had food, but it seems that it goes bad pretty quickly when you don't have power. we eventually got a generator, but it wasn't strong enough to a/c the whole house, just the fridge, a few lights and the tv. oh, i'll tell you this.....the first time we went through the hurricane we of course lost power. i wasn't really thinking straight so after a week or so it dawned on me to empty the freezer. i pulled out a package that had defrosted and was really "watery"....it was fish and it went all down me and all over the floor....the cat thought it was great and ran over to start licking the floor AND ME...oh, it was awful. and then when we pulled the refrigerator out to clean up this mess we found mildew growing up the wall behind the refrig. ...what an experience, but just remember, laugh about it!!! good luck! hugs!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  5:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Foil is a fantastic idea because we plan to use the grill.

George and SIL bought the generator today. Don't know what they bought.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  12:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
They have the models showing the new TS coming this way. I have been told that Aug and Sept are the worst.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Merry Heart Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Janet
Ackerman Mississippi
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  1:57:16 PM  Show Profile
The only advice I can give is leave early as others said and stay long enough and not rush home and meet the tornados coming back. We made that mistake. We lived south of you, Amy on Palacious Bay, south of Bay City, TX. The house where we lived was sitting where a drug store had been completely destroyed so we made sure we left in plenty of time. That was my one and only experience with hurricanes with being that close to the water.

Have a great and blessed day!
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic New to the Gulf coast. Bad hurricane outlook? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page