Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  2:01:13 PM  Show Profile
by Kathryn Stockett. A very good book about the South in the 1960's.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  05:19:17 AM  Show Profile
You're so right - excellent book.

Being born in the mid-sixties, I never realized how much racism still existed until I read this book. It helped how she told the story through the eyes of different people.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  06:17:40 AM  Show Profile
I just finished this the other day. Fantastic novel -- highly recommended! I'm usually leery of multiple narrators in a novel, but I thought it was very well done by the author.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  06:20:28 AM  Show Profile
I enjoyed it, and it is a good summer read, short chapters and easy to follow.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I just bought it today to read.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  2:54:01 PM  Show Profile
I just finished this book too. I got it as a Christmas gift and loved it! Just wondering how the movie is compared to the book? Thanks, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  8:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Lu
I read the book last year and just saw the movie. I'm a purist, so I almost always like the book better, but I think they did a pretty good job turning this one into a film. :)

If anyone here loved The Help, you should try 'The Kitchen House'
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful book indeed, love it. I so want to see the movie but they only show it for one day in the nearest theater duh! AND on a sunday afternoon of all days. NO bus going on sunday so won't be able to see it :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Jo, I have looked up "The Kitchen House", seems right up my ally too/. The library doesn't have it, neither does the online bookstore duh :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
I must be the only person who did not like The Help. I found parts of it to be quite ridiculous, i.e., the naked man in the garden; a white woman going into a black neighborhood when there was a curfew and so much unrest, etc. And, I found the bit about the cake disgusting, not funny. Not enough history of the time for me, as I am a history buff and there was so much going on at that time as far as race relations is concerned that was omitted. Slavery and bigotry are wrong and I am all for getting the word out there, but it seemed to me that this book made all white people look like stupid bigots. Even Skeeter, who was supposed to relate to the maids, was stiff and cold. I just found it all too far fetched. Would a devout, church-going black woman be using God's name in vain? I expect to get some backlash from my opinion, but I am not trying to offend anyone. On a positive note, I must say that I found The Kitchen House to be a wonderful book.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  5:47:39 PM  Show Profile
I kind of understand what you are saying, Karen. I live in SW Louisiana and have all of my life. In the 60s, we had a housekeeper. I would go to church with her; her church. I was the only little white girl in the whole church, but felt much love. We all had the most respect for this woman. She was like a second mother to me. When she passed away, we were all by the side of her casket crying like babies. We loved that woman. I respect your different opinion.
I have never read "The Kitchen House". I'll have to check that book out. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bear5

I kind of understand what you are saying, Karen. I live in SW Louisiana and have all of my life. In the 60s, we had a housekeeper. I would go to church with her; her church. I was the only little white girl in the whole church, but felt much love. We all had the most respect for this woman. She was like a second mother to me. When she passed away, we were all by the side of her casket crying like babies. We loved that woman. I respect your different opinion.
I have never read "The Kitchen House". I'll have to check that book out. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  7:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Marly,

Thank you. I'm glad you understand what I was trying to get across. I grew up in the South and my parents taught me that everyone was equal and no one any better than the next person. I feel the book would have been better if the author would have interviewed women who had worked as domestics for whites. If she had done that, I think she would have gotten varying opinons as far as to how they were treated and their relationships with their employers. It's not always cut and dried. All of the white people in the book came across as stupid bigots. That is, with the exception of Skeeter, the woman who secretly interviewed the help so that she could have their stories published by a big NY publisher. In my opinion, Skeeter was not very likeable. On the other hand, the ditsy blonde who wanted to have a baby (can't remember her name because it's been so long since I read the book) was the only likeable white person.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  7:44:20 PM  Show Profile
I see the also, "The ditsy blonde" being the only likeable white person. Now I see why you stated what you stated. I did enjoy the book, but often would close it thinking, well... it surely wasn't like that in my house. As we grew up with our housekeeper, there was one day she did not want to give me some candy. I called her a billygoat. My Dad made me write out on paper 100 times, "I will never call anyone a billygoat." The next day we were all told the housekeeper had a new name, "Bill". Until the day she died, we all called her Bill. Oh, my, I am missing her so much right now. But, Karen, thanks for the memories you're giving me.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  10:24:31 AM  Show Profile
Marly,

That is such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Just finished "The Help" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page