True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone!

I am doing No/Low Carbs for a while to get my weight under control. So far it is doing wonders- lost almost 6lbs in a 3 days. I am taking a multi-vitamin and eating lots of veggies and a controlled but healthy amount of protien.

I can do some desserts as long as I control the carbs and I also found a good rice alternative using califlower.

http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Rice.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/lcarbcheesecake.htm

I am making the cheese cake right now but I modified it a bit. I am doing a crustless cheesecake in my silicon round cake pan. I'll let you know how it turns out! Oh and also I used fat free cream cheese and low fat sour cream.

Want to join me and share any recipes that you might find that are good?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on May 27 2010 7:23:13 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  7:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
No/Low Carb dinner tonight:

Cubed beef seared in a cast iron skillet cooked with a little butter and olive oil
Rough cut white onion and green pepper added to hot skillet once beef was mostly cooked
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
a little smidge of Cumin

It was yummy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  05:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Alee- yay for you!! I'm sure you will have people tell you "Oh you shouldn't eat that way, it's just a fad" or "it's dangerous" or other negative comments.....
Don't listen to them!!!!
It will be 13 years in July that I discovered the low carb way of eating. I slowly lost 35 pounds, and have kept that weight off ever since. My cholesterol levels dropped, my blood pressure remains good, and I am generally healthy. About 6 or 7 years ago, I was diagnosed with low blood sugar, and my doctor told me I should always eat fewer carbs and more protein, so as not to go through extreme sugar drops.
My tastes have sure changed over the years too. Once I got that addiction to sugar out of my system, I was never able to eat quite the same again! I love many more varieties of veggies and fruits than I ever did before, and my sweet tooth isn't quite as bad. I noticed early on that when I didn't have any carbs for dinner, I was not wanting dessert after!
I became an expert on finding good low carb foods that I also could feed to the family. I continue to eat eggs for breakfast almost every morning, if I don't I have problems with my blood sugar levels dropping.
I have found some really good recipes over the years, some of my favorite meals are steak on the grill with a big salad, bbq chicken with my own sauce, pork tenderloin medallions simmered in a wine based cream sauce, a wonderful clam chowder that uses cauliflower instead of potatoes, and yes, the cauliflower is wonderful riced or mashed instead of potatoes anytime!
Salads, with garlic sauteed chicken and lots of veggies are a favorite, as well as steak sliced thin in a salad. Carpaccio with arugula is a rare treat, but you can't get lower carb than that! :)
My favorite snacks are still, after all this time- raw almonds, peanuts, baby carrots and those low-carb crackers, the name escapes me right now, but I'll find out for you. I used to make the crustless cheese cake a lot, and had a recipe for simple chocolates using splenda.
I can post some of my favorite recipes if you want later today.
I think you'll enjoy the low carb way of eating, it is healthy, and you will find once you get used to it, you'll have a lot of energy!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Brenda! Right now I am in a phase of this diet/change whatever you want to call it where I am trying to do without carbs at all. So far it has been working great. I feel good, don't really crave carbs until the evening when I am more likely to be bored and eating just to be eating, not to fuel my body. I want to get to the point where I can have a few more carbs but still stay mostly low carb. I do love my potatoes but I think that they will be just a treat from now on- like buy the bags with the small potatoes and have just a small portion and maybe only on days where I know I will be active. But I am looking forward to trying the califlower rice/mash. I think it should taste good!

I would love any and all of your recipes, Brenda! My husband will like it too I think!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:30:55 AM  Show Profile
You can make a crust for cheesecake using nuts!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Alee, good for you! I like my carbs though. And I can't handle all the low fat-no fat stuff or I would join you too. But you are doing great and I just wanted to encourage you!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  08:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Alee
That has been the only way I have lost weight & right now, I have gained it back cause I quit low carbing. It can be very healthy, as long as you don't eat a pound of bacon, cheese & a whole prime rib in a day.
Since you have discovered the rice cauliflower, try making it stir fried. Scramble some eggs. Then stir fry cauliflower in a 2nd pan with some olive & sesame oil, Add green onion chopped, soy sauce, & then egg. Adjust seasonings to your liking, but don't overcook cauliflower or it will get mushy.
Also try baking a "bread" made with spinach & eggs in a bread pan.
Google cauliflower pizza crust. THis is delicious.
Radishes can be sliced & broiled to make chips.
Use whey protein powder in place of flour. YOu can get huge containers of this on line cheap.
Mash rutabage, turnips, cauliflower for potatoes
If you really need the carbs, try eating those separate from the proteins & fats with about 4 hrs between
Like some whole grain rice, veggies, stir fried w/o meat.
If you have ANY questions, let me know. I used to regularly check out Suzanne SOmers old chat board(no longer running)
She had a diet very similar, & these gals really had it down pat. THere was a lady that even had a hamburger bun recipe made with egg whites & cream of tarter(I think) that were pretty dang close to the original.
Good luck. I may join you, as my arss is about 2 axe handles wide at this point.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile
Alee
I emailed you..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Lisa

I really appreciate you all being so super supportive. I feel better already, have more interest/energy in getting things done and my clothes are fitting better. Last night (and this might seem a bit silly) I was able to wear a pair of underwear that has just been TOO uncomfortable to wear for a couple months. And they were comfortable again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa shared these recipes with me. She has collected them from various posts and are copied and pasted from many locations. Please forgive any formatting or spelling errors etc as they aren't hers! :D

Cinnamon Crispas
Ingredients:
1 bag (3-4 oz.) plain pork rinds
15 pkgs Splenda (equal to about 2/3 c sugar)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Drizzle melted butter over the rinds or put in a plastic bag and shake well to coat. Mix Splenda and cinnamon in a paper bag, then drop pork rinds into bag and shake, shake, shake!
Sun Dried Tomato Dip
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped (8 tomatoes)
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise
10 dashes, hot red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts) I left these out..Puree the tomatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, red pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the scallions and pulse twice. Serve at room temperature
Teri T - Easy "No cook" Scoopable Ice Cream(Level 1 Pro/Fat)
1 1/2 cups Egg Beaters
1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
2/3 cup pure crystaline fructose
1 teas. vanilla extract (or flavor of choice)
Pour everything into a blender and blend for 1/2 to 1 minutes - (Note: if you blend it too long, it will turn to butter). Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions
Broccoli Salad
2 heads broccoli-cut into florets
2 red onions-chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. bacon, cooked and broken into pieces1 cup mayonnaise
5 teaspoons somersweet (equiv. to 1/2 sugar)
6 Tablespoons red wine vinegar. Mix mayonnaise, somersweet, and red wine vinegar to make dressing. Add to broccoli, onion, cheese, and bacon. Mix all together for a scrumptious salad!
Blue Cheese Slaw
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons somersweet (or sweetener equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar)
1 Tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 quarts green cabbage, shredded
Half a head red cabbage, shredded
8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled. Mix first six ingredients together and chill for up to 24 hours. Toss with cabbages and blue cheese at serving time.
24 shrimp. large, uncooked, peeled & de-veined
24 whole water chestnuts in the can, drained
12 bacon slices, cut in half crosswise
6 TB unsalted butter
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 c Daisy sour cream
3 TB prepared horseradish
1 TB fresh lemon juice
tabasco sauce to taste
white pepper to taste. wrap shrimp around 1 water chestnut then
wrap one piece of bacon around that and
secure with tooth pick, repeat for all 24 pieces.
melt 3 tb unsalted butter in heavy skillet over high heat
add half the shrimp at a time and cook until
bacon browns about 2 1/2 minutes per side.
Transfer to large dish and finish the other half.
preheat broiler. beat cream cheese until
smooth, add remaining ingredients & beat
until blended. season with salt. spoon over
shrimp broil until top is brown. serve
and enjoy!

BLT Bites
16-20 cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard pulp. Invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain.
In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients; mix well. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours.
1000 Island
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp minced dill pickles (I use the kind
in the jar)
dash Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 pkts sweetener
I whip the tomato sauce with the mayonnaise, then add the other ingredients. Letting it sit in the fridge overnight really lets the flavors melt together. This is the best 1000 Island I've tasted and I hope you enjoy it.
Mock Danish
2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla
mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. microwave on high for 2 minutes
Baked Chicken Breasts with Mustard Sauce
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground dried tarragon
juice of 1 lemon
freshly ground pepper. Preheat oven to 450F.
Place chicken in dish large enough to hold all pieces in one layer.
Whisk together sour cream & mayonnaise until smooth. Whisk in mustard, ginger, and tarragon. Gradually add lemon juice until desired lemony-ness is reached. The sauce should be quite tangy without the lemon overwhelming the other flavours.
Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Roast 15 min or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove from heat and grind a little black pepper over each chicken breast before serving.
Serves 4.
Pro/Fat Sandwich Buns
Basic * Buns6 egg whites
4 egg yolks
6 Tbls. sour cream (can also used softened cream cheese)
2 pkgs. Splenda (can omit)
1/4 teas. cream of tartar
pinch of salt Beat egg whites & cream of tartar until very stiff. Turn bowl upside down and if the whites don't slide, they are stiff enough. In a small bowl mix together the other ingredients. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites. Rubber spatula works best Generously spray a non-stick *crown muffin pan* with Pam. Fill the indents evenly.
Bake for about 50 minutes (or less) in a 300 degree oven. These will puff up while in the oven, but don't be surprised when they fall quite flat when you remove them, that's the way it is. Remove with an egg lifter onto a plate and let cool. Put in a plastic bag after it has cooled. (I poke holes in a ziploc bag to keep them from getting sticky and I store them in the fridge). The above recipe will make 2 pans full (12 total) ~ can be halved.

Rhubarb Crisp: 4 cups fresh rhubarb, cut up (I used a food processor for smaller bits)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups Splenda 3/4 cup zero-carbohydrate protein powder (I used Bio-Plex brand whey protein isolate)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Place rhubarb in ungreased baking dish (about 8" x 8"). Sprinkle with salt.
Measure sweetener protein powder and cinnamon into a bowl. Add butter and mix thoroughly until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over rhubarb. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until topping is a rich golden brown. Serve warm with cream or Level One ice cream.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Mom’s Salad Dressing 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, 3 t prepared mustard, 1t celery salt, fresh ground pepper, ½ t salt, 1 cup salad oil, 1 medium onion

Chicken Soup
1 fryer, cut up or whole (including back and neck), and wrapped in cheesecloth.
2-3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2-3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
2-3 onions, roughly chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped (optional)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped (optional)
4 bouillon cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Chopped fresh dill (optional)
Place wrapped chicken in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to boil and skim any scum that rises to surface. Add chopped vegetables, bouillon, salt, pepper and optional dill. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 1 1/2 hours.
Remove chicken and vegetables from soup. Puree vegetables and return to soup. Remove skin and bones from chicken and chop. Return chicken to soup.

Aunt Mickey's Brisket
1 beef brisket (about 4 pounds)
2-4 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
To taste: seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and paprika
2 large sweet onions, sliced thinly
1 package onion soup mix
1 cup red wine (optional)
6 medium carrots, peeled
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
2 bay leaves
The day before cooking, trim most of fat from brisket leaving a thin layer on top. Make slits all over brisket and insert garlic slivers. Rub brisket generously with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and paprika. Wrap brisket and refrigerate over night.
The next day, brown brisket on both sides on top of stove or under broiler. Place brisket in large roasting pan. Dissolve soup mix in 2 cups of boiling water and add to pan along with red wine, if using. Add sliced onion to pan.
Cover pan and roast at 350 degrees 11/2 hours. Add whole carrots, sliced mushrooms and bay leaves. Continue roasting another hour, covered, until fork tender. (If not tender, cook another 30 minutes.) Remove brisket to platter and cover. Roast pan drippings in oven, uncovered, another 30 minutes to concentrate flavor. Allow brisket and gravy to cool separately. (Brisket is easier to cut when cold.) Slice brisket thinly against grain. Store sliced brisket and gravy separately in refrigerator until ready to serve.
To serve, pour gravy over sliced brisket in pan and heat at 300 degrees about 45 minutes.
This recipe has been taste tested by September and I. Hope you enjoy it!
1/2 cup Hellman's or Best Foods Mayo
4 Tbls Somersweet
2 eggs
3/4 cup whey protein
3 Tbls Egg White Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1 Tbls Vanilla
1 teas cinnamon
1/4 teas almond extract

FOR CRUMBS:
1/4 cup whey protein
3 tbls melted butter
1 Tbls Cinnamon
1/4 teas almond extract
1/2 Tbls Somersweet
Preheat oven to 325. Mix all wet ingreds together with egg white powder using a whisk, until smooth. Add dry ingreds.Pour into a greased 8 x 8 nonstick pan. Bake for 5 mins. Remove and sprinkle crumb mixture on top. Bake for another 22-24 mins.

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower**
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

pizza or alfredo sauce
toppings
mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit.. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.
Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).
Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.
Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I'll go back through and put spaces between each recipe a little later! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  10:03:47 AM  Show Profile
A healthy diet is the best diet. There is nothing wrong with cutting out/ down on carbs. There is a very good book called Good Carbs, Bad Carbs. Very helpful information. I gave up dieting and started Weight Watchers in April this year. It has changed the way I think about food. For me it is what works. I have shed 10 lbs so far. I feel great, my clothes fit much better and I have lots more energy. Lots of pluses to losing but always make sure it is in a healthy way.

"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  10:06:21 AM  Show Profile
you are doing great Alee. And as a side note you can always take your regular recipes and make them healthier, it just takes a bit of time. Tons of unhealthy ingredients can be substituted with healthier choices.

"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  4:29:57 PM  Show Profile
I would like to know more about the cauliflower rice. I am diabetic and can use some new good carb recipes.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic No/Low Carb Club Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page