Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What can I make using Large Pine Cones?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What can I make using Large Pine Cones? Next Topic  

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  6:05:26 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of Longleaf Pine Cones in my yard and I would like to get some ideas as to what I could make using them? Having a flea market in my area for 15 miles in November, so I was going to see if I could make something to sell.

Thanks for any help.
Bonnie

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  8:41:58 PM  Show Profile
you can always put peanut butter on them and then roll them in birdseed for winter feeders. hang a cute yarn or ribbon .. all done...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red River Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ardmore Oklahoma
USA
183 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  9:35:47 PM  Show Profile
My husband says they are great to hot glue the individual pieces off the cone onto the roof of a birdhouse. He says they look wonderful and are durable! Just like shingles :)

~Count your blessings instead of sheep~ (Bing Crosby) ~Nancy~
SANTA BRIGADE
RED RIVER HENS
http://santabrigade.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  08:48:47 AM  Show Profile
I have made them into fire place starters. (as cute as a christmas tree ornament)
lay your pinecones on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper..
heat your oven to 350. Place the pinecones in the over for about 10 minutes. But keep your eye on them.
The cones will open a little more and dry them out a little more.
After they are cool wrap/tie a piece of cotton twin as a wick. If you are going to use them as starters, make sure the cotton is weaved from top to bottom.
dip the pinecone in clear Paraffin wax a few times.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Years ago, at a folk craft festival, I bought my mother an angel made from a large pinecone. They had been sprayed gold, and the "head" was an acorn, and the angel was playing a trumpet made from a golf tee. Beautiful in its simplicity, and she still puts her out every holiday.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  10:42:21 AM  Show Profile
I am getting some very good ideas for my large pine cones.

Thank you farmgirls for your help. We are all able to help each other with ideas.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  3:54:00 PM  Show Profile
my daughter made when she was about 10 (shes 32 now) a scarecrow of sorts outa pinecones, 3 for each arm, 4 for each leg, a log for the body. She wired (with Daddys help) the cones together for the arms and legs, then attached to the log body. The head was made from canvas, she cut a large circle, added a bunch of rags for stuffing, pulled all the edges together and tied the "neck with a piece of sisal rope around a dowel, which was then stuck in and glued to a hole drilled in the log body. She used felt pens to draw the face, and spray painted the body to look like it was wearing a plaid shirt, and worn jeans. Then it was hung from a tree in the yard, it lasted for years.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile
Kids love to put glue on the edges and sprinkle them with glitter and add beads as ornaments. We did this as an art prject at a homeless shelter. Each family had their own tree in their rooms.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  12:19:21 AM  Show Profile
In the Northwest we like to Spray Them with a Cinnamon Scent or use Cinnamon Oil, put them in Baskets
with Holiday Ribbon and use them to make the House smell wonderful all through The Thanksgiving and Christmas Season.

You have gotten some fabulous ideas. I loved the Angel one!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  6:29:51 PM  Show Profile
When I was a kid we used to make wreaths, swags and other decorations out of pine cones. We used them whole or cut them in "slices" for a different effect and then wired them to a wreath form.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  8:06:04 PM  Show Profile
... just curious.. averagely what is the size?

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile
One more idea, my Dad did this for my Mom about 10 yrs. ago. We had huge ponderosa pines, and therefore the beautiful cones. Dad made a wood base, glued the pinecone to it, and then Mom went through all her OLD jewelry, bits and pieces, very small Xmas balls (very small), odds and ends of diff. Xmas garland, a piece here, a piece there, just enough to give it some sparkle. I have my mom's and mine and they sit side by side at Christmas, I love them!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile
The pine cones are about 4 to 6 inches tall and very round in the middle.

Thank you again for the very good ideas I have been getting. Some ideas I would never had thought about. I will need to get busy and start picking up the cones from my yard and woods, then make some of the ideas to sell in November.
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  3:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi! everyone, We used to spray paint them green and attach them to a piece of stained board and decorate as Christmas trees. We would tip the ends of the in white paint and it would look like snow. Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What can I make using Large Pine Cones? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page