sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  08:41:01 AM  Show Profile
My baby boy (18 and 6'5") is graduating from high school on Saturday. I am on the brink of empty nesting. He told us the other day he will be serving a two year mission for our church. I am very proud of him and of the choices he is making. I sure will miss having him around, though. I'm thinking I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. :)

Sherone

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  09:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherone,
First of all congratulations on your son's graduation.

YOu have a good way of putting it, when I grow up. So many times mothering is such a big part of our life that we feel a bit lost when the kiddos are off on their own. It will be lonely with him gone, but you are feeling he is making good choices so you know a lot of your job is well done.
Have you had some of those "when I get the chance" ideas? I know I had a whole file drawer full of folders of projects I wanted to tackle when my kids were grown, when I had retired. I haven't tackled very many because new interests and opportunities appear if you are open to them.
Maybe it would be fun to take some classes, volunteer at a local elementary school, or hospital. Join a gardening club, or extension group. Catch up on some reading or projects.
Our youngest graduated from high school 5 years ago and it was harder to adjust than when the first went off to school. Now he's back home and looking for a permanent job. Mothering is never really done!
Try to find ways to enjoy new-found freedom.
Best wishes.
Susan
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

roseella
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

32 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile
I know the feeling. When I worked myself out of a job, I did what Susan above advised you to do. I began painting. Landscapes not houses. :-)
It has given me the opportunity to share with family and to have others purchase them for their homes. It has been a wonderful and satisfying adventure.

Peggy

http://artistcolony.net/peggymontano
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile
I know how you feel. I have three daughters and over the last 4 years they have all left home. Strangely enough starting with the youngest who went "away" to college the year she graduated. Two years later her sister left to go to college in the same town as the youngest "different college" but they lived together. She had finished at the local Jr. College. Then two weeks ago the oldest left after graduating from a college her in town. She moved to the same town her sisters are living in. So for two weeks I have been alone and I sure do miss them. Even though I have enough interests, hobbies etc to keep me way to busy I still miss them very much. I don't have anyone to go with me to the grocery store or just chat with in the afternoon. It is way to quiet around here.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:59:31 AM  Show Profile
well happy days for you ahead. when neils left home my baby. wow he went to Colorado to starve with his brother. lol another story. i was so lost. it took awhile then a realization came to me. I WAS ME i could do what i wanted when i wanted with whom i wanted... i found like woman and played hard. garage sales. out to the lake. i went alone and floated on the water. why you ask because i can. so the kids left and mom moved in in about 1 year.lol again soooo 10 years of caring for a little lady. fulfilled a promise. she died in her own bed..then katrina 4 days after we put mom in the ground. BOOM i had 2 grandkids who lost EVERYTHING but their lives. school skateboards etc. they left that next year. i love them so much. EMPTY NEST BEGINS for real. it did not take long to figure out again.. sherry what do you want to do with your life.sick or not i did have a life. i kept throwing ideas out there. then i found some i liked. now i am so busy. like a march hair. having so much fun. now the kids have kids.. grandkids.. yipee. i love them and when i am done i call for them to be picked up. i know the empty feeling. you have done a great job girl. look at what they are doing in their life. well done mama. stand in the light and watch them fly. you gave them wings. they will NEVER really leave you. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Empty Nest............... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page