Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Giovonnia
Astoria New York
USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  2:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Dear Farmgirls:

I am continuing my search and reading books about home, housekeeping, and interior design.

The House in Good Taste by Elsie De Wolfe is just a book to read for fun. It was first published in 1914. Ms. De Wolfe was the first woman to ever earn a living from interior design. She decorated some of New York's most fashionable clubs and Palm Beach estates for wealthy clients. She had a newspaper column for many years.(She lived from 1865 to 1951)

Even though we don't live in posh estates, Ms. De Wolfe advice is quiet appealing. She has writen several other books but many of them are out-of-print. You might find through book searches.

Another fun read is Edith Wharton's, The Decoration of Houses. The writer of Ethan Frome and House of Mirth gives us a tour of some of the homes or New York's uppercust! Edith was a huge fan of interior design and architecture. In fact she colaborated with many well known architects of her day on projects.

And at last, Sarah Ban Breathnach's new book, Moving On. This is such a treat. Read this one quiet night and let it wash over you. Sarah is the author of Simple Abundance. It's about her fixing up a house in England. It turned into a journey of self-discovery as well.

These great reads are fun and worth their purchase or library lend. Let me know what you think. Update you more with great home reads.

No Place Like Home to Read Library
Giovonnia

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  8:27:50 PM  Show Profile
You know, I also really like "Shelter for the Spirit" by Victoria Moran. It's more of the "BanBreathanch-variety" rather than the "De Wolfe-variety," and it's always inspiring to me to pick it up and read a bit every once-in-a while.

Great list of books!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic No Place like Home Library Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page