mamabyrd12
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Lucy
Stark City Missouri
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile
I hope this fits here. We ran out of shampoo over a month ago and so I thought I would give the baking soda "shampoo" a try. We are loving it. We haven't used shampoo for over a month and my hair is soft and clean and shinny. I love it. My kid's hair looks lovely as well.
What we have been doing is.... In the shower take 1-2 Tbsp baking soda. Mix it with 1/2 to 1 cup hot water. Pour over your hair and scrub in just like you would shampoo. Rinse this out. Pour about 1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (NOT the white kind) in your cup and had 1 cup hot water and pour over your hair. I rub this in like I would conditioner and then rinse out. My hair is soft and clean.
I have had people ask if there is a problem with hair being oily but I haven't had a problem. If I "feel" my hair needs a little extra cleaning, I will lather up my hair with a bar of my lye soap and then wash it with the baking soda and vinegar.
I dye my hair with natural henna leaves and have found that washing it this way helps keep the color from fading.
Hope this helps some of you and that it isn't a repeat of info already here.
Lucy in MO

Blogs - http://mybyrdhouse.blogspot.com/ and http://sassyapronswap.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shops www.mamabyrd.etsy.com and www.sexyapronday.etsy.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  4:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool Lucy! Thank you so much for sharing. I will have to give this a try.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

MaggieAnnie
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

maggie
or
USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  8:12:57 PM  Show Profile
I have super curly (ie big :) hair and going shampoo free was the best thing i ever did
instead of dry big bird nest i have ringlets whoo hoo.

i use the baking soda if i feel sweaty or dirty like after a day at the beach but otherwise just use the cool shower

ill have ti try the acv too.
maggie annie

MaggieAnnie
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  03:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lucy! the natural henna leaves? Is your hair brown? Where do you get the leaves and how do you use them (the process)? : ) Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

mamabyrd12
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Lucy
Stark City Missouri
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  06:14:31 AM  Show Profile
MaggieAnnie - That is wonderful. My hair is curly but not enough to make actual curls it is more like kinked wire. With the baking soda/vinegar washing is has been soothed into wavey, glossy hair. I love it. I was having the bush thing on my head too and really hated it.

Miss Kris - I get my henna leaf powder from Monteray Bay Herb Company. I got my Henna information from http://www.hennaforhair.com/ What I do now is mix about half a pound of henna with half a bottle of lemon juice, a couple of Tbsp each paprika and cloves. Paprika and cloves make the red more intense and the cloves give your hair a lovely gingerbread scent which I like. It smells much better than the plain henna.
I have brown hair. It was red when I was a baby and so I already had the reddish highlights to my hair and so I was able to pull off red hair. I now have dark red, more auburn indoors with highlights of fire outside.
The thing I love about henna is that it calms my hair down. Since my hair is very wavy it tended to friz out expecially in the humidity we have here in MO. With henna it behaves itself and will let me do most any style I want without just reverting in 10 minutes to frizz. I also wasn't mentally ready for gray hair. I haven't hit 40 yet and I refused to have white hairs everywhere. With henna they have become a tengerine color that blends in now as strawberry blond highlights. I can deal with that. My hair is just past my shoulders and I am growing it out long again.
Two of my daughters get to use the leftover henna at the end of a dye day. I thin it out and put it in their hair for no more than an hour. (I do mine for up to 4 hours). They had dirty blond hair with reddish highlights. Now they both have dark red hair that is slightly lighter than mine and look natural. Lots of people come up to us and say they can tell we are mother and daughters because we have the same red hair. hee hee They tell the truth that they got their red hair from their mom.

Blogs - http://mybyrdhouse.blogspot.com/ and http://sassyapronswap.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shops www.mamabyrd.etsy.com and www.sexyapronday.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dawniamw
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dawnia
Mapleton Depot PA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  6:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Dawniamw a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lucy (and all),
Thanks for the info! My son and I both have baby fine, uber curly, long hair, and my daughter has extremely thick, uber curly hair that is difficult to get a brush through when long. While I straighten theirs, we all three have the "I've just stood in the path of a hurrican" frizziness. If I can talk them into trying this, I really think it might work. We already use the ingredients in our laundry and houekeeping, so why not ourselves?!.

As to natural hair dyes, I love your suggestions for that as well, and wanted to share a site with a couple more recipes for anyone looking to use natural methods of dyeing their hair. pioneerthinking.com It has several homemade recipes for hair coloring, shampoos, rinses, perfumes, and other items all made with natural ingredients. Given that I also have alot of premature grey, I am going to try their sage and rosemary method. Hope this helps, and thanks again!

Blessings,
Dawnia
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  03:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Good information! I am going to try the baking soda in my hair, too. I use the ACV already and so does my husband. It helps him get rid of dandruff!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:17:04 AM  Show Profile
My daughter went shampoo-less over a year ago after reading a book on the subject!! Her hair, which is very long and tend to be wavy, curly, has never been in better condition!!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic No Shampoo Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page