Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Strawberry Jam/Jelly recipe needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Strawberry Jam/Jelly recipe needed Next Topic  

Addybelle
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrienne
Louisville KY
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  2:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Addybelle a Yahoo! Message
I want an old-fashioned jam/jelly recipe. I'm just getting into canning and tried the freezer jam stuff. Its good, but I don't think it comes close to the richness of the old fashioned kind. I want to try making some other jellies as well, so whatever recipes or resources you could help me with would be great! I also have some of MJF chillover powder and wouldn't mind some recipes for that! Thanks, Ladies! My tummy appreciates it!

~Adrienne
http://addybellesgarden.blogspot.com
Suffering from Barnheart...thanks Jenna W. :-)

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  2:47:41 PM  Show Profile
I always use the basic recipes 1n the pectin boxes. I will often mixed different berries for variety. I used the reaspberry jam recipe the other day and added strawberries, blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries and cherries to the raspberry puree to add up to the numebr of cups on the box recipe.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  4:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I always use the recipes from the packages of pectin also. I have had the most success with Sure-Jel :) Boy Strawberry Jelly sounds wonderful, hmmm on a scone made with crystallized ginger and lemon zest :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  6:59:16 PM  Show Profile
i am in love with the freezer jam recipe. i love the taste of freshness in it. i make it as i need it through the winter. i just keep berries in bags frozen for when i need them. but the real taste is in the fresh ones yummy. i would love some scones happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  05:46:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Jam making is my hobby and I have a strawberry one I am "known" for, LOL. If you'd like it, I can email it to you.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  06:49:48 AM  Show Profile
i would love your recipe. thank you so much happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  08:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I didn't use a recipe. I got a flat of very ripe strawberries at a farm market. I cut them up and cooked them down with some sugar. It came out almost a sauce. I used some pectin. Then I just canned it. I used it on ice cream, pancakes, etc It got firm enough to spread on toast. I just called it strawberry spread.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Addybelle
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrienne
Louisville KY
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  3:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Addybelle a Yahoo! Message
I would love it! My hubby is about to down all of the strawberries I bought at the farmer's market! mk_adrienne@yahoo.com Thanks!

~Adrienne
http://addybellesgarden.blogspot.com
Suffering from Barnheart...thanks Jenna W. :-)
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  5:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Texdane, sent you an email :)

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I would love to make some without pectin that actually jells...I made some last year, it was so runny we put it over ice cream. I usually use the cooked recipe inside the surejell box.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  04:07:44 AM  Show Profile
I just read....I don't know if it was Mary Janes outpost book or the Ideas book, where she says to make jam with pectin, you have to cook it a high heat and stay right with it, you can't just simmer it, and you can't leave the pot. She says it is well worth it to do it like that. I may try that this year.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  09:40:12 AM  Show Profile
I messed up a big batch of mixed berry jam a couple of weeks ago because I put the sugar in before the pectin. Don't know what I was thinking. So now I have to go back and remake quite a bit of it. Leaving some as fruit syrup for pancakes and ice cream (so good!!) but do need some jam. I haven't even had much luck making jam without the pectin. Even using high pectin fruits and apples.... haven't quite figured it out just yet.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  05:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I just tried some small batch strawberry jam (I love Mary Jane's Small batch idea ).I had about eight cups cooking with a cup of sugar and added chill over powder.I must have added too much,three teaspoons really made it jell up.Sure tastes good though.Maybe everyone will start eatting my mistake next winter when fruit is scarce.
Next time I'll add maybe 1 1/2 teas.Not sure
Katie
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
I have 12 cups of grape juice I boiled from our grapes off the vine. I'd like not to use sugar. Joy of Cooking says that if I use honey instead of sugar, I'll have to cook it longer.

I'm wondering how much Chillover Powder I should use. I saw one post that for 8 cups, 3 teaspoons of Chillover made it jell up fast. Maybe 3 teaspoons for 12 cups of juice will work.

I'll post back with results! :-) I've got more grapes where these came from if I mess this one up!

Growing, using, and learning about herbs. Living a Godly simple life!
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  2:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Now I know what you have been up to! I will check my recipes for some for you too!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Strawberry Jam/Jelly recipe needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page