patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  12:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Subtitle: How Our Obsession with Stuff is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health - And a Vision for Change by Annie Leonard

This book takes the reader through the lifespan of our "stuff". From extraction of minerals from the ground, to production, through distribution, our consumption and disposal. It has cute illustrations and informative sidebars.

I don't look at "stuff" the same way after reading this book. Here is a section that made me think, "In Dhaka, Bangladesh, I lived in a house with a half-dozen Bangladeshis. Having a westerner live with them was a novelty, and they had fixed up a clean and sparsely furnished bedroom especially nice for my arrival. As I unpacked my Stuff (some clothes and personal "care" products like my Pantene Pro V - this was pre-GoodGuide, and I didn't know about the nasty chemical ingredients), I noticed there was no garbage can in my room. So on my first trip to the market, I bought a simple little trash can. But soon I discovered that the "away" of my throwing things away had a different meaning than back in the States. What I threw into the trash resurfaced around the neighborhood, put back to use. I noticed my light blue flowered deodorant container on my neighbor's living room shelf, now a vase filled with flowers. I saw my empty Pantene conditioner bottle again in the form of a toy; someone had stuck small rods through it and attached wheels, and a neighbor boy pulled it around on a string as a toy car."

This illustrated so well how blessed we are and how addicted we are to throwing things away. This book doesn't lay a guilt trip though, it is straight forward and well-researched. A good read.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Judy,
I too, loved this book. Gives a new meaning to "away"
It surely makes me think every day
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile
I will look for this - sounds like a thought-provoking read.
Thanks for sharing!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:59:46 PM  Show Profile
I saw the short film on the internet, and it really changed the way I look at the things we buy. I would love to read the book, though!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  08:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Megan,

I need to check out the Story of Stuff video. She said so many people wanted more info after seeing the video that she decided to write the book.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  3:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Judy, the video is so amazing! It will change your view, as I am sure the book already has!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  7:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to find it and read it. Guess I should look for a copy at the library or a used copy so I don't accumulate more stuff. :)

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  04:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

Hehe -- sounds like you already have the right idea!

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Looking forward to reading this, thank you, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for posting this, I'll be looking for that book.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  08:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Found the Story of Stuff at Barnes and Noble for half price. I plan on sharing it with lots of friends and family. I can't put it down and boy is it an eye opener. Thank you so much for sharing this book idea! I work with a lady who saw me reading it at lunch and said "Oh I don't have a problem with stuff." I wonder if she uses electricity, oil, buys items in plastic containers, or drinks from aluminum cans? Thanks again! What a great read.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  12:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, that is too funny! People in my class will say they are not materialistic, but what do they ask for for Christmas: iPods, laptops, new cell phones, new clothes, etc. Now, that's not to say that if we work hard for these things that we shouldn't have them, but we shouldn't have them in such excess.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  03:54:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

Glad you are enjoying it. Yes, it sure is eye opening and habit changing. The subject came up at the library yesterday and one of the library employees decided she wanted to read it, too. She requested it while I was there. Hopefully, person by person, our perception of what we really need (vs. want) will change as a nation.

Continued happy reading!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  11:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Would any of yall be willing to lend me your copy when you're done reading it? I would so appreciate it very much! E-mail me if you're interested!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  05:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Megan, I wish I had my own copy because I would send it to you. I just found it at the library though. If you local library doesn't have it, could you request it through them from another library?

Judy

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:59:58 AM  Show Profile
In my whole library system, they are all checked out!! They are at probably ten of the libraries in the area, and they're all checked out!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  05:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Megan,

I'm so sorry! But I guess it's a good problem in a way, if that many people are reading it. One last suggestion, your library most likely has a way to order books from other libraries in the entire state. Perhaps you could ask about that. Here in Michigan its called "Melcat", Michigan e-library catalog. There is also Worldcat where you can order books from libraries around the country and the world, if necessary. All libraries are part of that. Good luck!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:48:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy! That's so cool; I'll have to look into that.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Story of Stuff Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page