Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Brushhogging and reflecting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Brushhogging and reflecting Next Topic  

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  3:21:28 PM  Show Profile
I was brushhogging today on my tractor with the nice air conditioner and while driving around (you have alot of time to think out in the middle of a pasture going around and around) started thinking about my ancestors, Choctaw Indian and French mostly, and how it would take them days to accomplish what I managed to do in about 3 hours. My ancestors owned this land and sold it to my husband's grandfather. (A fact we discovered after we married.) My hat is off to those tough, determined people, and I am so thankful they were willing to work so hard so we don't have to. I won't take for granted the equipment we have to work with now and will try not to complain if my tractor air conditioner isn't cold enough.
Just some of my random thoughts.

Judy

"Speak your mind and ride a fast horse"

Edited by - jclambert on May 22 2010 4:37:47 PM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  04:48:06 AM  Show Profile
You said it all. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  1:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I think of those kinds of things when I look out my south windows. I can see the farmhouse I grew up in and the fields we farmed. We built our house on 3 acres that my dad deeded us and I remember the field right out front was a potatoe field. I was only about 4-5 yrs old and too small to hoist 50-100 lbs of spuds but then needed someone to drive the 1948 Diamond T truck SSLLLLOOOOOWWWWWLLLY through the field. They rigged the accelerator and got me in there in such a position that I could steer the truck down the rows.
So very much has changed!!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  6:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Ok yall I need to know what exactly is brushhogging? I didn't grow up on the farm..although my hubby has done a nice job of helping me love the farm we live on now after 19 years of marriage...It does have a way of growing on ya..but I can honestly say I have never heard the term brushogging..so inquiring minds would like to know...

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Tammy,
Bushhogging with cutting your field or pasture. A bushhog is brand of rotary cutter you hook up to the back of your tractor.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300429639467 looks like this. We have an old Ford kinda like this one, but ours is a little older.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile
oh thanks for explaining that to me kathy, my brother in law does that but doesn't call it that..I love learning something new. thanks so much for enlightening my mind today

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Brushhogging and reflecting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page