knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  5:03:49 PM  Show Profile
We are about to butcher some of our chickens and I need to order a good set of moderately priced knives. What do you all use?

Thanks all!

~Ashley

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  7:16:02 PM  Show Profile
hi ashley, i would have to say i love a simple thin paring knife for chickens. i use a pair of garden pruners for their legs. i skin my chickens and a small thin blade fits in my hand nicely. when i do pork or beef i have a few heavier blades i use. i sharpen often in my butchering and use a steel for the blade also. feathers are like bone. they dull the blade fast. i also use cones to kill. they are turned up side down in the cone. i cut the throat (juglar on both side) and debrain my birds. bleed them out and habg and skin before i eviscerate. just my way sherrye welcome to farmgirl you will like it here

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  04:44:02 AM  Show Profile
That is all of the information I needed. Thank you so much.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,

I also use pruners for the neck and the legs, though I didn't need the pruners for legs once I bent them the right way, I found. My husband bought me a little knife with about a 4" long blade and I LOVE it. It was handmade here in Texas, and a little old man down the road sells them at his general store. It was 50 dollars, but it cuts like you wouldn't believe, it's made in Texas, and it fits my hand perfectly. I have small hands, so it was important for me to find a knife I could handle well. As soon as I picked it up, I knew it was the one I needed.

I also would recommend a short bladed knife, as one that is too long will flex and it too difficult to work with for this job. :0) Oh, total knife length is 6 3/4 inches, blade is actually 3". Well, actually, here it is: http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=727405

I LOVE THIS KNIFE! :0D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  03:24:44 AM  Show Profile
I'll still swear by Wustof and Henkels. But that's the cooking snob talking

A good set of cutlery will and should last a lifetime!

Each of these companys also make good kitchen shears that are equal to the task of cutting bone, slicing through tendon and cutting portions of meat
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  3:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you sooooo much for including a link! My husband will be pleased with the site. I've been looking and looking, but I really don’t want to buy something that has no referral. I agree that good knives will last a life time if properly cared for. I have a full set of Wusthof knives, but I was told not to use them to butcher with. I can't remember why the sales lady told me that. Thanks for the wonderful information and the link! Happy cutting all.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  03:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Well then do you have a Bass Pro Shop , Cabela's or Gander Mountain nearby? Even the hunting section in Wal Mart ought to have stuff for this

All of these carry butchering knives and sets just for meat/game processing

And you can't beat a decent meat cleaver too. For this I'd go high end for sure! If this can't take the abuse...nothing will!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Good Butchering Knives? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page