Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The Enemy Within...the backyard clothesline!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Enemy Within...the backyard clothesline!!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:28:06 AM  Show Profile
I know most of you probably don't watch the Colbert Report, but this was on last night and I immediately thought of all of our discussions here. Enjoy this parody--it's seriously HILARIOUS!!!!

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308751/may-05-2010/the-enemy-within---backyard-clothesline

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:51:32 AM  Show Profile
OMG - I loved this. I am that woman. I have had a clothes line in my yard for 5 years - and it is against the Housing Association rules. I love this. Thanks for sharing.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile
I figured some of you could identify :) I absolutely adored this!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:58:03 AM  Show Profile
johni oh my, i had to laugh very hard. way too funny how they tell the story.

BUT BUT may i say i live here in bend. she lost her right to dry. she fought for over a year. sold her home and moved where she could dry.
we were a organic farm teaching folks about diversity growing local eating real food. goats cows chickens gardens..we were shut down . we would have bdays reunions weddings. very small groups here. county shut down 18 of these such farms. REASON events not farm related enough...go figure.
the thing that hits home the most is we do not have the right to do what we want on our property any more. i know this type of thing is going on in many places. we are loosing our right to choose.
bend is a very snob type place now. lots of hummers and such. i have nothing against such folks. it just seems when those that have can take from those that have not it is wrong. we went to meetings and all of us venues fought it. we lost sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile
ROFL!!!!! Love it!
okay... the clip is funny, but I know it is no joke which is very sad that our private property is not free from rules that is harmonious.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Karrieann on May 19 2010 08:09:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  08:09:55 AM  Show Profile
So interesting and so sad, Sherrye. I'm sorry that she eventually had to sell and move, but I'm hoping for bluer skies (for drying, of course!!!). It's weird...in my neighborhood which dates from 1905, we aren't allowed to have fences in the front yard anymore. I don't quite understand that. But, we're allowed to have backyard fences and vegetation. Some (new) neighborhoods (with all their associations and rules) can't even have tomatoes. What does that say about the American Dream?

Working for a real estate attorney, I create sections to some of these by-laws for these communities (you can't have similar colored shutters next to a house with similar colored shutters) and I think, "who would want to live there if you can't paint your house what you want?"

I don't understand them shutting down your "not farm related enough" events...I assume that they were actually TOO farm oriented and that's what they're actually afraid of, seeing how the climate has changed there.

The neighborhood in Grove City, Ohio where my mother grew up was considered the wrong side of the tracks, with 1800's houses and rickety sidewalks and alleys. Now, it's the "yuppie" part of town, gentrified with new gaslights and antique stores and organic bakeries. My poor Aunt still hangs he laundry, dresses her ceramic goose each week out front and plants a garden. Much to her neighbors chagrin...it brings raccoons (ooohhh! Rabies!!!) and the goose is tacky. And the laundry? Well, old lady undies I guess are just too much for pre-schoolers!!!

Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Its a sick world we live in when drying your cloths on the line is wrong, but driving a gas guzzling Humer is looked upon as ok... The individuals who had a complaint should be ashamed of themselfs

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh me!! Oh my!!! Oh my goodness!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!!

I pledge to continue hanging out my clothes to dry OUTSIDE in the fresh air and sunshine!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  09:19:35 AM  Show Profile
Cleverly presented and quite funny, but so sad to think that so many of the "American minds" have become so shallow and opinionated. It hasn't been THAT long ago that clothes lines were standard equipment for most homes. Another confirmation that the "Farmgirl Attitude" needs to move forward with strength and focus!! Hugs and smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on May 19 2010 09:22:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Funny story, the way it was presented. So sad that people are so uppity that they would have an issue with it.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Bahaha! That's awesome! I was that woman in Myrtle Beach. After leaving there I vowed to never be part of an HOA again! It's ridiculous what people can tell you you can't do these days.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad everyone found the humor (and the idiocy) in this. I thought it was VERY well executed :)

Go to Top of Page

Melbick
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Melanie
Venus TX
USA
81 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Melbick a Yahoo! Message
OMG that is funny and sad at the same time. This is the main reason why when we purchased this home we made perfectly sure that there was no HOA (gag) and that we could do what we want with our property. The only restrictions we have are no pigs (that's a county thing though) and no cows (I guess that is because we are on 1 acre tracts). I have not been able to get my proper clothes lines erected yet, however I would really challange one of my neighbors to say something to me about my clothes hanging out on the improvised line that we stretched from the fenceline to the porch.

Melanie Bickham
FarmGirl Sister #1475

http://www.etsy.com/shop/homegrowngirls

Homegrown Girls
http://thebickhamfamily.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  12:46:26 PM  Show Profile
That was a great video. I'll send it to my mom. She'll love it.

I thank God everyday--well, maybe not everyday, there are those internet and phone issues--that I live in a really rural area. Not only do people here have clotheslines and use them but, people in certain areas in town can have chickens, sheep(one of our neighbors had several), horses, cows and apparently pigs(our other neighbor did that). I wouldn't recommend the pigs.

We moved from town five summers ago and this house did not have a clothesline, until today. My retractable clothesline came this morning. Yes! Now I just have to get my DH to put it up.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile
OMG, that is unbelievable. I cannot imagine. My parents have never had a dryer and just bought a house up here near me. That's the first thing they asked if they could have a clothes line and hang out their clothes. They can. They are in a neighborhood that backs up to a public park. The clothes line will be in the back yard. I hope no one gets offended by underware hanging out.

I love that guy. He tells tghe funniest stories. The part about clothes lines being a danger was hilarious! We should start a dryer boycott.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  6:27:41 PM  Show Profile
The worst part about this is that these people have no concern for our environment. I think the EPA should step in and ok clotheslines and outlaw Hummers. These people are so stuck up and if our HOA leaders are any indication - total control freaks.
I will keep my clothesline until they sue me.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Enemy Within...the backyard clothesline!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page