jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  06:17:27 AM  Show Profile
I was sitting in the house the other night and heard this awful yowling outside. Checked the back deck and found a cat. Very tame and friendly tom. Of course I fed him so now I guess he's mine. Why do some people assume that it's o.k. to dump their pets in the country? I live a mile off the road and we are forever having strays come to the house. My brother-in-law lives right on the road and now has 4 dogs. Sorry, had to vent a little. I get so mad at people who mistreat animals. On the up side, I have a very nice cat. The down side is I will also have a very nice vet bill in order to get his shots, worming, and all the other goodies he needs.

Judy

"Speak your mind and ride a fast horse"

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  06:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Nice of you to take him in. It is deplorable that people just "dump' their animals. At least he found you. What's his name, the lucky boy?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  06:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Some people just get this wonderful gifts. I thought all strays came to us!!!

We just got a wonderful puppy dumped in the neighborhood. She was dirty, skinny, and hungry. A month later she is looking very good. It turns out that she is a Brittany Spanial. My hubby and daughter are in love. So we have six dogs now. Pic's on my blog.

There is a special place in Hell for people who are cruel to animals.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Well, lucky it was just a cat. I have a horse that was a stray, and he is beautiful now. We also have 5 cats and 5 dogs that were strays. I agree with Amy that there is a special place in Hell for people who are cruel to animals, but I also believe there is a special place in Heaven for the rescuers of animals. Good for you for taking him in and does he have a name yet?

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile
I say shame on those people who drop off cats or dogs. All of my animals were dropped off. One floated here. Shame on those people.
I'm happy you kept the little cat.
What is the cat's name.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  12:52:08 PM  Show Profile
Cruelty in general is horrendous, but to prey on the vulnerable is beyond belief and sickens me! Bless you all for taking in the beloved "cast-offs". My daughter and I have decided they are by far, extra-special because they are so hugely appreciative of kindness. It warms my heart to know there are so many kind people in the world. We have a wonderful Himalayan from the Humane Society. He was 1 year when we took him in and he's now 14!! Three years ago, 11 tiny kittens were dumped along a County Road and thank the Good Lord, kind people saw them and gathered them up and cared for them until good homes were found for all. We took two sisters and our Himalayan absolutely adores them and he is as spry and young as they are!!! All are inside-only kitties. Then last summer, a stray showed up, trapped in his collar. (old style nylon collar he had tried to get out of) The collar was tight under his front leg, across his chest and back. We eventually caught him, he had to have several surgeries because of extreme damage done by the embedded collar, but with the help of a loving caring vet and alot of people along the way, Angelo (my daughter named him because she is certain he's an angel!!)is with a disabled friend who absolutely adores him and I'm happy to say he's thriving! Judy, I'm happy you were there for your kitty!!! He needs you!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  1:58:32 PM  Show Profile
He has been named "Tom T. Cat" and is sleeping in a chair on the deck right now. He loves to slip in the house and sleep on a quilt I have folded on my cedar chest in the bedroom. He has made himself at home and loves to torment my dogs. Thankfully, they are being good and try to ignore him. I'm so happy to hear how you all have taken in animals. It breaks my heart to see one being mistreated. I agree with the special place in hell for these people. If they have no compassion for a helpless animal, then they don't have it for other people.
Lin, I'm always saying dogs are angels and that how we treat them is a test. Bless you all for your huge hearts.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  5:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy--some time ago in this very section, there was an exact conversation of this very thing: the craziness of people dumping in the country. Not sure where the thread is now, but it's definitely not a new discussion. I think most of us would agree that dumping animals, particularly in places where they might receive the least help is crazy--and yet apparently plenty of people keep doing it! Grrrummbbblle...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW:
Renegade Online beekeeping CLASS MAY 9th! http://therenegadefarmer.com/?p=939
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  04:33:59 AM  Show Profile
We have rescued many dogs. We like togo driving in a local state forest, but have almost quit because we've found dogs shot to death and abandoned ones waaay back in the hills-one a puppy about 6 weeks old, back where there was no possibility of it finding water or food.She lives here now with other dogs. Some we've had for years. We lost two last year of old age. Our vet bills, feed bills are huge. We said we can't bring any more home. We have driven every day to feed some, but that's sad because they just disappear and we don't know what happens to them. We suspect some of these damn rednecks have shot them. We have 13 dogs, some outside, some inside. We have been able to rescue-worm and shots many dogs and find homes for them- once alitter of about 10 week old walker hounds- eight of them. Our local no-kill shelter never has room for any. We have called 3 times, so now we don't donate money to them anymore. We always carry feed with us in the van and frontline spray for ticks. It's all very sad, but we do what we can. We just can't bring any more home- no place toput them.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  06:15:17 AM  Show Profile
Just this past winter a passel of pups were found in a dumpster at a local gas station. They were rescued too late and died at the animal shelter. They found the person responsible and he is now on trial for cruelty to animals.

A message has to be sent that cruelty to animals will not be tolerated and the law has to be enforced as far as punishment...although I am an advocate of "An eye for an eye!" The criminal should be put out along a scary, dark country road all alone with no water or food and lets see how well he survives--

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  08:26:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm just thankful there are so many of you willing to take in the strays. I don't understand it, especially when there are really good animal shelters that will accept them and try to adopt them out.
UPDATE ON TOM T. CAT: He brought us a mouse last night and this morning he's bopping through our doggie door. I fear we are doomed. LOL.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  12:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Good for Tom T. A mouse is the highest form of love!!!! LOL

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  6:46:19 PM  Show Profile
What is wrong with people,how could anyone mistreat or abandon their pet? You are a special person to take in this fur Angel and care for him and trust me he knows it. Animals can feel hurt and rejection and I'm just glad you were there for him. Bless you :)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  5:34:58 PM  Show Profile
I went out to feed the horses today and guess what, someone has dumped another cat out there. She is a beautiful little (about 6 months old) long-haired dark brown (I think female) with bright green eyes. All clean and well brushed which tells me she doesn't have the skills to survive with the full grown raccoons and coyotes. We already have four at my house, four at one of my daughters houses and two at the other. This little girl is not prepared for barn life. I get so angry at people. She is beautiful I think with a little effort they could have found this beautiful girl a home. Grrrrrrrrr.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  06:09:01 AM  Show Profile
I found a kitten Tuesday that someone had tossed at the golf course. So small she would lick water off my fingers but didn't know how to drink out of the lid I found to pour water in. She was so hot she was panting. I hauled her around with me until I got to the club house and the wonderful young girl working there took her home with her. YAY! My husband was afraid I was going to bring her home with us. (Probably would have if Alex hadn't taken her). Last update from Alex was that the kitten has taken over at her house. Bless her and all the wonderful people who take in these strays.

Judy

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Someone tossed me a cat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page