Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rising Dough Next Topic  

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  6:39:20 PM  Show Profile
I have another question. This one is about dough. How long can you rise dough before it doesn't come out right? Most recipes say 1-2 hours of rising but is it possible to have it rise for a day? 2 days? If you make bread on Sunday, could you save some dough and use it on maybe Tuesday or Wednesday for baking?
I know some pizza places make pizza dough to be used for the next day or 2 so that means it's sitting there rising. I'm just curious really. Thanks!

Edited by - NicoleG on May 07 2006 6:43:25 PM

annart
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Emily
columbus in.
USA
40 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  6:51:40 PM  Show Profile
I did not request notification on this subject?I hope this request gets to the right person.Good luck , Annart
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  04:22:37 AM  Show Profile
There's always a reason for the suggested times. The breads that are made up in a few hours and have rises of 1-2 hours have yeast plants that give off gases as waste products; they're what give the dough rise. If you keep this same dough out and rising all day, your yeasts will smother in their own waste. You can slow the development of the yeasts if you chill them, but your dough may come out with a rough texture.

You can also punch down the dough frequently, but sooner or later the yeasts will run out of sugars to eat and die anyway. And often, the resulting loaf from several punches down has a denser, finer grained texture and nowhere near the lofty rise. It'll be more like a pumpernickel in texture.

My guess is the pizza dough people keep the dough chilled. It isn't as critical to get a big fluffy rise with pizza dough as it is with bread dough, unless you're doing a Chicago style deep dish pizza. Pizza dough with no yeast would have a texture like a roofing shingle.

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Placing it in the fridge will help it to slowly rise and and you
will be able to use it several days later.

This is a favorite recipe of mine. I use it frequently and I use it
for everything, even pizzas.

Potato Refrigerator Dough
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes
7- to 7 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
(if using self-rising flour, omit salt)

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours or until ready to use. (Dough can be kept up to 5 days in refrigerator at 45 degrees F or below. Keep covered.)

Punch down dough; Use in different variations. Let rise 1 1/2 hours before baking. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake rolls 15 to 25 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  2:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Mary Ann. And thank you, frontierlady, for that recipe.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rising Dough Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page