kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  08:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, I cooked one of the golden chickens Friday. I talked to the guy that sold them and he told me how to bake them. So I stuffed some fresh rosemary and a little lemon inside and seasoned real good and slathered it with butter. It was really good. And tender. It fed 4 of us that night. Me, hubby and my parents.

I am making a salad with fresh spinach and lettuce I got from the farmer's market and red bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms and chicken with homemade ranch dressing. I will have some left from that and make a little chicken salad. And I am making broth right now also. I'll probably get about a quart.

So the $25.00 chicken will make 4 meals. Not too bad for the money. And very tasty too!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Kristin what is a golden chicken? And did this chicken cost you $25 dollars? I hope it was a descent size one. Thats amazing that you were able to make so many meals with it, super cool.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  5:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Had to laugh Kris - I should hope it was yummy!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile
The golden chicken...LOL...I'm glad it turned out to be a good value!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  6:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Kris:
$25.00 for a chicken. LOL. Explain to me what kind of chicken this is. Did it weigh 25 pounds? Did you raise this chicken after you bought it, and then feed it $25.00 worth of grain. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  6:49:14 PM  Show Profile
No, this is one of the 2 chickens I sent my DD to get at the farmer's market a few weeks ago. And she gets these that cost me $47. I had no idea. They were $5.50 a pound. Yep, they should have been gold plated birds. And I could have bought 50 meat chicks for that price. But, I am supporting those small farmers. I also bought some really good bacon, about 10 slices, from him the other day for $6.00. But it was plain ole bacon with salt and pepper. So I am doing my part.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile
lol right now. the gold chicken got eaten. glad it was good. it better be. what else did you make with it. i have a hard time using that much up. but its just papa and i.
my friend fishes and does not like fish. she always catches some. not her man though. he is so frustrated. so funny. he calls her a fish whore. gads. well tonight she brought me 3. onw was 4.9 pounds. yum brown trout. i baked with butter. do you fish kris. i was a commercial fishermans daughter. we fished salmon in the ocean. great experience.
so next time are you buying gold chicken or ya growing your own? lol happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  8:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm SO glad the golden chickens redeemed themselves, lol!!!
By the way, I raised meat chickens differnet times, and fed them all organic feed- I seem to recall that it cost me at least $3.99 / lb to raise them, and I did all the butchering!! I'm not even sure I counted the chick purchase price in that.

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  05:22:58 AM  Show Profile
I also have the bones and some meat left form the broth I made so that will be ground up for the dogs. I got a quart of broth. So that would be a chicken dinner, chicken salad, a plate for hubby for on the road, broth and doggie dinner from one chicken. I didn't get to make chicken salad because kids came for luch so there wasn't enough so I fixed hubby a plate. Not bad for $25. I'll probably make pot pie or soup with the broth later.

I am going to buy meat chicks the end of August to butcher in Oct. I might get some the end of May to see how well they do. I think I will either get Columbian Rock or White Plymouth Rock. And they have these at My. Healthy HAtchery for just .90 for 50 cockerels. Not too much. Anyway, way cheaper than what that guy charged for one.

Yes, I love fish. I wish I had some. I had salmon the other day for lunch with Mrs. T. Her son cooked it. He's a good cook.

Mary, what kind did you raise? I want to stay away from the commercial chicks. I want a more heritage breed that can hamdle free range grass feeding. And some turkeys, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  1:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I was just looking at the bargain chicks at the mt healthy hatchery. You can get 200 meat birds for $50. That is .25¢ each~

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  1:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
We used to raise Cornish Cross, but didn't like how they grew so fast...unnatural, we thought. So we switched to Red Rangers, from S & G Poultry in AL. We've been very happy with these birds.

We sell chickens for $2.50 a pound, and I can get 6 meals from a 6 pound chicken, feeding the 6 people in my family (and always crush bones and make broth.) We do not feed organic feed, but they are raised sustainabley...free-range, we move the pens to new ground at least once a day. Essentially, we try to balance the cost with practicality, I guess!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

Direct link to my blog: http://custerfamilyfarm.com/blog1/index.php?blog=3
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  2:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Kayla, I have never heard of Red Rangers. 6 pounds is a really good size. Do ya'll get roos or hens? And do you have a link I could go to to see them? I also am afraid of the Cornish cross birds. Not really afraid. I just wanted to go with a more heritage breed that can live on pasture and not so much grain feed. So please tell me a little more about them.

Brandee, that is a great price. I'll look into that also. I guess now's the best time to raise chicks because I wouldn't need a light on all the time. Probably just at night right now for a few weeks.I do want to free range the birds so they would have to be able to fend for themselves mostly.

Isn't that neat how we can get so many meals from 1 chicken? There are so many things to do to stretch the meat out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile
I have been to Mt Healthy Hatcheries to pick up chicks.(Granny used to live around the corner) That place is impressive. Immaculate. Looks like a surigical center. Very sterile. Nice to know where my chicks came from. I highly recommend them.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  7:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Here is the link for the Red Rangers. We didn't like the way the CornishX were bred to have fewer feathers, gain faster, etc. These Red Rangers take a couple more weeks to get to the same weight as the CornishX, but they don't eat any more feed. We just feel that that's a more natural way to go. They forage better, too. We've done CornishX for 10 years or so, and they are just dirty! They won't get up and go anywhere, just sit and eat! Red Rangers are very active and much, much cleaner. S & G only sells straight run (half roosters and half hens.)
http://www.sandgpoultry.com/redranger.html

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  04:02:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Kayla. I tried to google it and couldn't find so this will help. I'm going to see if the have heritage turkeys also. I have been thinking of getting some. Thanks alot for your help!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  6:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm a little late, but I did the rock Cornish Cross. I had some get up to nearly 8 lb. I did not love the way they grew, but they were easy to butcher. I di not feel sad since thye would have died of obesity anyway. Not the world's healthiest birds, though. Overbred. I would have gone to a flock of Cornish if I stayed with it. But hubby's dog is not good with poulrty/ rabbits. I have horses and donkeys now.
~ MAry LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  06:06:44 AM  Show Profile
Kristin I know exactly where you are coming from! We purchased a $20 chicken last week.

I think the biggest lesson I learned was really how to get the most of my bird. Usually I would just throw away the carcus, with a bit of meat still on it, without a second thought. But with this one I actually took the time to boil off the bones with veggies and herbs to make stock. Just from all the meat and stock off it I was able to make the most delicious creamy chicken and dumplings.

Now if I just could have gotten more out of the two $16 berkshire pork chops. I don't think I will by the chops again but I will definitly by the bacon and chicken.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://thecitychicks.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile
It sure does make you think when you pay that much for one thing. And use your imagination too. There is so much you can do with a chicken. I wish I could make the dumplings. Mine are always gummy but everything else is good.

So good for you. Don't you feel like a little frugal farmgirl now?

I found a place near me where I can get heritage breed turkeys! I am so excited to find them. And it was through a new member here. They have 4 different breeds. I am going to get Bourbaon Reds and maybe another kind. She said they had Royal Palm and Blue Slate and another one I can't remember. And not bad prices either. So I will have some good turkeys. And keep a tom and a few hens to breed to have more next year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  8:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I made chicken and dumplings a while back, and was pretty happy with the way the dumplings turned out. Here is the link, if it helps!

http://custerfamilyfarm.com/blog1/index.php?blog=3&title=chicken_aamp_dumplings&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#comments

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  04:42:21 AM  Show Profile
Kayle, that looks really good. My mom said she was going to fix dinner next time they come up. So I will tell her about this. I am getting so many good recipes to try I have had to get a new folder to put them all in. Plus I am in the Amish recipe swap so hope to get alot more. This one will be added to them. Thank you so much for sharing it. And I guess the reason the dumplins don't fall apart is because they are so small. I think that's my problem is that I make them too big. But I always rolled mine out and cut them into strips. Anyway, thanks again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My $25.00 Chicken Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page