Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 My mini horse ate bird seed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My mini horse ate bird seed Next Topic  

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  1:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Can this cause colic? If so, what do I watch for?
It was just the bits that fall on the ground under a feeder. She didn't get into a whole bag.

She's new to us and I am feeling guilty that I didn't think about the bird feeder when I tied her up to munch grass.

Thanks!

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  2:34:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Stephanie - She should be fine - I some times think Mini's have feet trouble but that might not be true, it was true for a mare I had but it might have been from neglect more than anything. If she had the leavings from the birds, I wouldn't worry. If she did colic, you would see her uncomfortable, the muscle along the side of her body would be obvious, she would be laying down and getting up and/or rolling excessively. Some times you can see them look at their bellies.
How is she doing now? Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  4:59:02 PM  Show Profile
Kris, THank you for your note. I have not seen any odd things from Bella since she ate the seeds. She took one nap but got up afterwards and is acting normal. It's 70 degrees today and she was laying in the shade in a normal spot for her.
I will watch for the "looking at her belly". There is no rolling or acting uncomfy.

Thank you so much for writing. I learned a lesson.
Do you have a mini?
She's new to us.....since Dec 20th. I am so thankful to have this site and to be given thoughtful information so quickly!

S.

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:21:05 PM  Show Profile
As long as the bird seed is not moldy, she will not have any ill effects from eating the seed.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  05:17:07 AM  Show Profile
We don't have the mini's anymore. They had so many issues and we tried to fix them the best we could then gave them away. Hundreds of dollars later.....oh! well, such is life.. Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  08:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. She is fine. The birdseed was not moldy, it'd just been filled the night before.

Kris, Our mini had to have a broken tooth pulled out 4 weeks after we got her, probably there when we got her but wasn't causing pain until after she was settled. Pricey! and an interesting case the vet said. The kids watched everything and it was a great learning experience for new horse owners. That contraption used to pry open the mouth, all those huge tools. I kept the broken part, it's in a jar on the counter.

She's out loving our change to weather, 70's for 3 days.
Happy Friday & thanks again,
Stephanie

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My mini horse ate bird seed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page