quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile
I would like to recommend two novels by Nancy Turner. They are based on family diaries from when her family settled in Arizona. The first is 'These Is My Words' and the sequel is 'Sarah's Quilt'. They are both wonderful stories and full of information about the 1800's and settling in Arizona. I can't think of anyone who would not enjoy them.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  9:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary! We are taking a little trip to Arizona this summer. Seems like these books may get me in the Arizone mood.

THeresa
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  03:58:32 AM  Show Profile
Mary
I have the book, "these is my words", really enjoyed it, now will look into getting 'SARAH'S QUILT", didn't know there was a sequel. Thanks.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  06:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I loved both of these books!
Ivy
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  8:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Since you recommended them, I just finished reading "These is my Words"...I was bawling like a baby. It started out so shocking (I was expecting more Little House-ish) but I was glad to see the reality of it all! I will have to get "Sarah's Quilt" now.
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  09:24:53 AM  Show Profile
I am reading 'These Is My Words' now. I read them in the reverse order, but am still enjoying them.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile
I Re- read, these is my words, because it had been some time since I had read it, enjoyed it all over again. Now I 'am reading Sarah's Quilt. Both such good books. Can't wait to see where this one takes me.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  4:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Just finished reading the QUILT by NANCY TURNER.Just love it, didn't want it to end. Man they had it hard, there best day would be my worst day. How people then got along is amazing. learned so much from this book. Hope some of you will read it. I got it used from amazon.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile
I am currently reading "The Water and the Blood' written by Nancy Turner in between the two Arizona books. It is about WWII and the lives of a young couple (she is white, he is Indian) and their experiences in the war and the prejudice they experience when they return home. It is different, but written with the same easy style as the other two books.

Mary

Edited by - quilt8305 on Jun 08 2006 08:38:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  09:09:10 AM  Show Profile
MARY
OK, I ordered that too, and while I was on amazon I ordered "ALICE'S TULIP'S', and 'THE DIARY OF MATTIE SPENSER". Got all three used for a total of $13.00, that included the shipping. one of the books was only 18 cents, who made money on that? Have a rather large stack on my table now, plus I got a bunch at garage sales last weekend, but a lot of those are cookbooks and other non novel books.In fact one I especially like is a cookbook, "OVER ONE THOUSAND RECIPES LANG. CO. AMISH COOKBOOK", 25 CENTS. Pretty good huh? Thanks for the other Nancy Turner book suggestion.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  04:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Mary, thank you for the recommendations! I've finished "These is My Words" and "Sarah's Quilt" and am waiting for "The Water and the Blood" to arrive. I absolutely loved the Arizona stories.... what a woman of gumption! It's wonderful to hear about authors that are new to me-- I'm always ready!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  04:39:17 AM  Show Profile
ANN
Yes , these is my words and sarah's quilt were very good, don't know how thoses people made it from day to day. Just finished the water and the blood, very different from her other two books, but I enjoyed reading it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  08:40:44 AM  Show Profile
I am thrilled that so many of you liked these books. I can make more recommendations on books about the Pacific Northwest which is where I live and a particularly favorite topic.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  3:55:47 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I finished "Quilt" yesterday. Just loved it. As a librarian, I purchase few books, but I am going to buy my own copy of "Quilt".
I am "homesteading" a tiny farm in Texas (by myself) and have had my share of trials and tribulations in the last 3 years. After reading about all that Sarah experienced, I feel very motivated to keep going on this rather uphill path.

I am going to email the author and ask her if Sarah ever married Udell Hanna. Also, want to know about the rest of the family. How were her sons impacted by WWI, for example.

Would love to hear about other titles that deal with pioneering women. I need the inspiration.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile
connio
Go back to reading room and click on handwritten journals, then read through the posts, the girls gave lots of titles. you will probably find that helpful.I know I put a lot of them on my list.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Connio,
A Sweetness To The Soul is about a woman who pioneered in Oregon. The same writer, Jane Fitzpatrick, also wrote about pioneering in Florida.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  07:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Connie, Sarah HAD to have married Udell. I insist! :) Do email and let us know how their lives worked out... and, even better, ask her to write book 3, too. I read "The Water and the Blood", and as I typically fly through books, I've started re-reading. The "Sarah Prine" books are on loan to a friend, and when she gives them back, I'll read them again. What a wonderful way of developing character Nancy Turner has....Lots of wisdom, too.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Arizona Pioneer Diary Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page