Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 To Clip or Not to Clip, that is the question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic To Clip or Not to Clip, that is the question... Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  09:11:46 AM  Show Profile
We always intended to free range the chickens. They have been so far living in their coop and a 15x15 fenced yard. We would like to let them out into our MUCH larger backyard (fenced on three sides and the fourth side is a creek.) The debate now is whether to clip their wings or not. Clipping their wings would mean they wouldn't be able to fly over the 5 foot fence, and would also be easier to catch if they are being pesky about coming in for the night. But clipping their wings means they have less defense from predators. They would free range during the day while we were home and then be locked up in the coop at night.

So what are your thoughts on clipping or not clipping?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  10:01:04 AM  Show Profile
I have clipped my chickens and they will quickly learn how to hop/flap/bounce their way up on top of things! I found one of mine outside the pen just yesterday. She had gotten on top of the nesting box, then on top of the little inside coop, then over the fence to the ground. Our fence is 8 foot tall! My DH had to remove the inside coop and put it back outside the pen. They will still be able to get away from predators, just won't be able to go so far. Plus, they are easier to hold onto with shorter wings. If your real crafty you could keep the clipped feathers for decorating with. My girls love to put them around picture frames and windows to 'chicken up' the house.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  12:30:29 PM  Show Profile
we are gearing up to turn out 4 turkeys and 50 hens to pasture. we have all breeds. most of my girls came off foreclosure properties. some are so smart. they will do whatever it takes to get out over through for that blade of grass. then some are too heavy to fly over. i will clip the wild ones. we do have coyotes. i am all for my animals to have horns or wings and roosters to help. they go in at night. i let out after laying time is over.we have ducks also.sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile
I can't clip my chickens wings now because the silly birds roost way up in the cedar trees. I have done it before though. And not felt bad at all about doing it. If those chickens get in my garden and eat my ripe tomatoes and I can catch them, I will clip some wings and maybe wring a few necks too!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile
We clipped our Pheonix rooster to keep him out of the hens area. He couldn't fly but learned how to climb an 8 foot fence real quick. I finally gave up and he is in with the girls.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Mine free range and i DO NOT clip their wings. They have never jumped my garden fence.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:50:47 AM  Show Profile
I never clipped our chickens and they were home every night or earlier if startled by anything. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks gals for the information, experience and advice. We have decided that tomorrow is official free range day (since i'm going to be gone most of the rest of today). We will let the big chickens out WITHOUT clipping their wings, we will move the one month old chicks out to the chicken tractor to live (until they are integrated with the adult flock) and we have Buff Orpington chicks due to hatch tomorrow. So it will be a busy day!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  4:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
The only chickens we ever had to wing clip were the White Leghorns which is why I wont own any now. Maybe its just my chickens but I find as long as they have plenty of clean water, free range areas with plenty of grass, bugs etc they dont fly anywhere. Being outside with them may help in my case as it keeps stray cats etc away from the property.

~Beth~

~I am the best of France and California~
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  6:35:01 PM  Show Profile
I clipped some wings last year. I really feel it made no difference. If they really wanted out they got out. But they always came back at dark!
Enjoy!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  04:34:29 AM  Show Profile
We did end up letting the chickens out into the yard without clipping their wings. We haven't had any issues yet. Only once has one of the chickens got out and I don't even think it was intentional. I opened the gate and she walked right back into the back yard. They have come back every night to go to bed and they even go back into the coop to lay their eggs! So its been a successful transition. They are even mixing it up with the three families of Canadian geese (and babies!) that are in the backyard here and everyone is getting along. Thanks for all the advice ladies!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  5:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Amy great to hear that the chickens are minding their behavior. I have never clipped any of my chickens wings - just could not bring myself to hamper their ability to protect themselves. What is funny is over the years none of my hens ever got into the trees - not sure why but never did. At the same time each night they all come in without fail. I guess my gals are way too much home bodies just like myself. Great to read everyone's experiences - Life is not full unless you have chickens...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  6:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is interesting to read everyone's experiences! I hope to have chickens in the next couple years so it is great to know that not clipping wings works so well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  03:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Great to hear! I love my crazy chickens!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic To Clip or Not to Clip, that is the question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page