Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Losing weight Next Topic  

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  6:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Trying to lose weight was wondering if anyone had good ideas for meals that are light for suppers.

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  7:33:18 PM  Show Profile
We do fajita taco salads. Lean steak grilled and sliced laid over the top of a fresh salad. You can also use grilled chicken. If you leave off the cheese it is great.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  9:57:35 PM  Show Profile
I have lost 60 pounds in the last year and 1/2. I follow a high fiber/low fat diet that allows me to eat very large amounts. We eat a lot of beans since everyone loves them and they are fat free and very high fiber. There are a lot of turkey meats that are very low in fat compared to the pork or beef counterpart. I have some other suggestions and a list of books I could suggest, but I don't want to monopolize the thread here. If you'd like to have me list out everything for you just email me.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I usually eat what everyone is having, but I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. I drink water before my meal.

I have lost 25 pounds since July.

I park far away from where I am going and walk to the door. We try to always walk after eating out.

Portion and getting moving is the most important thing. Eating "light" can sometimes fool you into eating more than you should.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:38:23 AM  Show Profile
great job on weight loss. wow. i have lost some also. i had been on steroid infusions with my iron 2 times a week at chemo room i gained about 40 lbs. they do not know why but now i am making blood and absorbing iron. yipee so the weight is coming off. i do the same. small plate. i always take less so i can go back for a last nibble. i use a cocktail fork to eat. i am a driver pushy expressive fast girl. i tend to eat that way. the cocktail fork put a stop to that. lol i make sure i have snacks that are ok. i need that. now i am getting back to my normal happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:52:27 AM  Show Profile
SusieK, my favorite weight loss strategy is to make Mary Jane's chopped salad! (Check out her life book) Once a week I go to our local all organic farmstand and I stock up on a large variety of diffent veggies, take them home, wash, chop everything real small, and keep it all in the fridge in the bowl of my Tupperware salad spinner. Then throughout the week I eat bowls of my chopped salad whenever I feel hungry (with a spoon of course!). Changing up the homemade vinaigrettes as I go. My favorite is leafy lettuce, spinach, cabbage, fennel, red pepper, green pepper, any mixture of fresh herbs, and carrots! If you want it to last all week try sticking with 'tougher' veggies like these, the softer ones like avacado and tomatoes I chop and top my salad in my bowl just before eating. Also, making sure that everything is dry before you store it away really helps it to last longer.
I also have two of Ellie Krieger's cookbooks that are very inspiring. With these books I don't feel that I have to count calories she's already done it for me and her food is sooooo good, there's even desserts! I'm sure the ol' library has her cookbooks.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile
The book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" has a great program along with a BUNCH of super good recipes in it!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Susie :)

We drink alot of water at our home. We sometimes grill steak or chicken and place a little bit of that on greens, add tomatoes and what have you for a healthy dinner.

Here is one of our favorite meals. It's low in calories and very tasty and satisfying :)

Fish Fillets in Parchment Paper

1 Tablespoon butter or margarine (or use olive oil spray)
4 cups fresh spinach, washed and stemmed
2 (6-ounces each) white fish fillets such as sea bass, halibut, orange roughy, ½-inch thick
Salt and pepper
½ cup zucchini, cut into thin slivers
4 medium-sized button mushrooms, sliced
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Parchment paper or aluminum foil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. For each packet, layer 3 sheets of parchment paper or 2 sheets of foil 15-inches long. Butter a section the size of the fish down the middle of paper. Lay 2 cups spinach on buttered area of each paper. Place fish on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Divide zucchini, mushrooms, and chopped tomato evenly and place on top of fish. Sprinkle with basil, limejuice and olive oil.

To seal, fold one long edge of paper over the other; tuck short ends underneath. Be certain packets are tightly wrapped so juices will not escape. Place in a baking pan and bake for 15-18 minutes. At this point check to see that fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Do not overcook and watch the hot steam! When ready to serve, arrange the fish and vegetables on a plate. Yield: 2 Servings.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Losing weight Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page