farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone here drink this or make it themselves? I had my first experience with it recently. I was told not to drink more than a couple ounces of it at a time. I've been drinking it now for three days and everytime I drink it I get light headed...almost like I've had wine. Anyone else experience this?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:44:26 PM  Show Profile
yes my sister had that exp. can not tell you why. maybe its the fermentation. she got to where she wanted it all the time and loved it. her body craved it. why? not sure how that could be good. i know there are some farmgirls here that know herbs and natural medicine. just our exp. she gave it up. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:47:23 PM  Show Profile
My husband jokingly said "Well duh, its made from a mushroom!" But then I looked it up and it said its not actually a mushroom its made from, more like a hodgepodge of spongey stuff...but not really a mushroom. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:17:04 PM  Show Profile
I had the same experience the first time I had it, only no one told me that I should only drink a couple ounces. I had downed 3/4 of he 16 oz bottle before I started feeling really weird so I got online to see if anyone else had had the same experience and that is when I found out that you should drink too much to start off. It does have alcohol in it, although only a small percentage. I don't drink alcohol, so I think even that small percentage is what got to me.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kombucha is actually a SCOBY which basically means it's a sybiotic relationship of certain yeasts and bacterias that create a membrane around themselves. The sweet sugar tea it lives in fuels it's metalbolic reactions which help synthisize several vitamins, amino acids, and compounds that are good for the body (help flush toxins from the system for example). By the time it has processes for up to a month it should have used up all the sugar in the sweet tea and some diabetics even say it helps control their blood sugar it will make the remaining kombucha tea slightly carbonated.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  6:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kombucha is actually a SCOBY which basically means it's a sybiotic relationship of certain yeasts and bacterias that create a membrane around themselves. The sweet sugar tea it lives in fuels it's metalbolic reactions which help synthisize several vitamins, amino acids, and compounds that are good for the body (help flush toxins from the system for example). By the time it has processes for up to a month it should have used up all the sugar in the sweet tea and some diabetics even say it helps control their blood sugar it will make the remaining kombucha tea slightly carbonated.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  03:43:56 AM  Show Profile
You can buy this pre bottled and unpesteruized from health food stores.

We have made it from scratch, used a SCOBY obtained from a friend and of course drink it bottled.

I like the carbonation, it does make me feel a little lightheaded so I usually just consume about 6 oz at a time

The first time DH brought home a culture in a jar I was in the shower and didn't have contacts in. It looked weird and alien. What the heck??? But after tasting it, we were both hooked
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  07:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Amy, it is a fermented drink. Every batch I make seems to be different tasting. It also depends on how long it's left to ferment. The batch I amde about 3 weeks ago was very winey tasting and I did feel like I had drank a glass of wine. But I had started cutting back on the sugar a few times before that one. I have learned my lesson there. It needs 2 cups of sugar in a gallon jug. I like mine more fermented too. So I leave it over 2 weeks. I have been experimenting with different sweenteners also. Like honey and succanot. Both are very good. Also with other teas. I have 2 quart sizes going now with honey in one and succanot in the other. Both really good and different.

I was told to drink 4 oz. in the morning on an empty stomach. Then I'll drink some more at night. I know people that will drink it all day. It has really helped my swollen ankles for some reason. Before I started drinking it my ankles and the tops of my feet were puffy. They are not now. I can see my ankles and the bones in the top of my feet. I also feel much better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile
so girls, why are you drinking it. is it the live cultures in it? how does the body use it? just wondering new to me sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I have been drinking this for about 5 or more years and it is wonderful and so good for you! I don't get light headed or anything like that. Maybe I am just weird. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  5:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Most folk never get these side effects, but enough do to wonder why. I never have and I drink several glasses a day and never had to build up to that amount like they recommend. Some folk are more sensitive to it but there isn't enough alcohol in it to get high so something else is going on.....there's about as much as in a regular glass of orange juice. Those who are into brewing will know there isn't enough sugar used to convert to alcohol. Most recipes state you should use between one and one and a half cups sugar per gallon. More than that and you just have to wait a real long time for the sugar to be used up, and you do run the risk of increasing the trace alcohol to more measurable amounts. The resulting drink has a lot more probiotics than yogurt. That alone could account for some effects if you aren't getting enough probiotics in your diet. Some find it helps curb appetite if a glass is drunk an hour before a meal. There's a whole long list of possible health benefits, some of which I have seen true for me (some pain relief and lower inflammation) but others I have not or just plain don't believe. The Salvation Army uses it sometimes to help curb craving in alcoholics. Most health practitioners that use it think it helps detoxify the body, particularly of heavy metals. I believe that one though at first I did not. I find the only time I cannot drink it is 12 hours before or 24 hours after I take my RA medicine, which is a low dose of chemotherapy. I get intense headaches then but no other time.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  7:51:30 PM  Show Profile
thanks catherine, so where does it originate from?

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  8:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, no one really knows where it comes from! Some say the middle east, same say the Caucasus mountains but it's all guesswork. Lost in time because the cultures that used it the earliest we know were not very literate....but it's all over now, and getting more mainstream all the time. Most health food stores carry it, there are online groups devoted to spreading the cultures to brew it (I have been bartering here on MJ the cultures for fabric lol), and I read that Celestial Seasons recently acquired a small company that made it with the intent of making it more commercial but I haven't seen anything happen with that yet. It is tart and some love it from the first sip (me!) but others can never get the taste for it. Despite all the wilder claims for its benefits, I think most anyone will get the probiotic effects, which help if you are on antibiotics, or just evening out your digestion like the Activa yogurt only more so. Have you ever heard the popular in the 70's notion of alkalizing the blood by drinking acid vinegar? They'd suggest a tbsp or some such daily in a glass of water.....the kombucha might act similarly. Or maybe not lol. Every time you brew a batch it creates a new culture, sort of a rubbery pancake looking thing, so it's very self perpetuating. The cultures also can be store in kombucha liquid for long periods of time, unlike kefir grains which need to be brewed constantly in new milk.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  04:18:37 AM  Show Profile
I am always amazed at the wealth of information farmgirls have. I always have my questions answered when I come here :) Thanks for the information!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  07:55:07 AM  Show Profile
i do believe in the alkalizing with acv. i use it for my cows goats chickens self. just the bit of coffee i drink is so acidic. i will look into it more. so glad you posted this thread. i will google it.i drink raw milk from my cow normally and cheese etc. she is dry till aug. so probios could be lacking.i want this body to perform at her best. big stuff ahead.thanks amy and girls happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I found a low acid coffee I can drink but it's expensive. About $12 for not even a pound. So I haven't gotten any in a while and don't drink coffee now at all. I have been making dandelion tea. Very good.

I have extra Kambucha starters if anyone needs them. I just am not sure how to ship them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I have shipped them in plastic zip lock bags, triple bagged and then in a small but sturdy box. I usually send about 4 oz with the SCOBY and it gets there fine. I tell folk to take it out of the plastic as soon as they get it, even if they won't be brewing for a while. I have found that it is less likely to get there unharmed if I try to send it in a glass jar. Have sent dozens and no one has ever said it leaked in triple zip lock.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  08:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Ok. That sounds easy enough to do. I was hoping you'd tell me how. So if anyone needs some let me know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Kristin
I would love to try some. I will email you
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  6:59:07 PM  Show Profile
kris i would love to try it. i would be happy to pay shpg. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:15:59 PM  Show Profile
HSerrye, I email ya! I'm going to town tomorrow so will send out yours and Lisa's.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  6:58:56 PM  Show Profile
thanks kris

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye and Lisa, ya'll should get your cute little Kambucha at least by Friday. So be on the lookout.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile
I think I am going to give Kombucha another try. Although I think I will wait a few more months until I am finished nursing Truman. One of my friends could probably give me a starter, but if not, I'll just send Kristin an email :)

You know Kristin, if you cold brew your coffee it has a much much lower acid content.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile
thanks kris,,, i will get your soap sent. i want to make you a felt soap bar first. i was shocked but it makes cold process soap float. thanks for the kombucha sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  4:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Well darn, Sherrye, I keep forgetting the soap! I could have sent it with this. Poo! I will get it to you one of these days. I will. I am so sorry.

Siobhan, any time you're ready let me know. They are shooting out babies all over the place!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Kombucha Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page