Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 My Mom's Wedding Dress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic My Mom's Wedding Dress Next Topic  

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:58:36 PM  Show Profile
My mom has given me her wedding dress to do with as I please. Don't worry, mom & dad are still together (44 yrs now) she just didn't preserve her wedding dress and thus, parts of it have deteriorated since 1966. It was (and still is) a beautiful dress. Some of the lace is in great shape, some of the tulle is not. The taffeta underneath is yellowed, but ok. Since you ladies always have such great ideas, I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions for things that I can make with the dress, since no one will be wearing it ever again. My mom doesn't care if I cut it up, especially if I make something really neat with it. Let me know of suggestions - I'd love to her them!

Thanks
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest a christening gown. I have several patterns and techniques I could recommend if this interests you. I do custom sewing and highly recommend to clients to consider using family textiles (linens, gowns etc.) in a christening gown that could be passed on through the generations. Sometimes if there is enough material, both a chr. gown and a romper can be made so families with boys have another option, too.

My family has a christening dress that my husbands aunt made from her wedding dress that all the children in my husbands set and all the children in my babies' set (the cousins) were christened in. Quite a treasure.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:37:03 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking maybe a memory quilt? You could add parts of the lace and such, along with photos of your mom wearing the dress and maybe other pictures of the wedding? You could even get other members of the family to write on the quilt about their thoughts on your parents wedding day. I love memory quilts. There's so much you can do with them and they are great heirlooms.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  4:36:31 PM  Show Profile
A Conformation dres for a young girls first communion. You could also make a pillow for your mom and dad for an anniversary gift.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you could cover the top of something like a hope chest with the most intricate parts of it. :D
hugs

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:31:58 PM  Show Profile
If there are other girls in the family you could share and make pillows with wedding dates, or graduation dates, or birthdates for each. Or you could make them lingerie bags for special items.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:39:02 PM  Show Profile
use the tulle for the scrubbies! If not in great shape... then use it as the stuffing part of the scrubbies.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:15:43 AM  Show Profile
I took an old wedding dress and made a chair slipcover out of it. Very pretty and feminine, maybe for a girl's bedroom. I also saw a picture of a dress made into a table cover. It was for a small round table and the skirt was fastened around the table like a table skirt and the top was made out of the rest of the dress...sort of a quilted doily.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  5:08:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the great ideas! I love the memory quilt idea with the pictures - very cool. I think I will be trying a lot of these ideas with different parts of the dress.

Thanks again!
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic My Mom's Wedding Dress Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page