MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:51:21 AM  Show Profile
How about a book/section on babies? Farm babies! Projects for the little ones - ie. clothes, booties, blankets, making your own diapers, etc. Also making baby food from the produce we already harvest and maybe some old time, tried and true methods to calm a fussy baby, help ease the pain of teething, entertain a baby, etc. I really wish that my grandmother could remember all of the things she used to do with my mother and her sisters, because now that I have kids of my own I long to have that "simple" knowledge instead of all the advertised products that I "just have to have" to calm the baby, feed the baby and what about those outfits that cost more than mine and they are 1/10th the size?!?!?!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  11:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds like a great idea to me!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  3:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Melissa: That sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Appeals to moms and dads, grandparents, relatives and any care givers. I'll bet Mary Jane could do it right. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  9:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
If we do babies, though, can we also do older kids? I don't have any more babies. I wish I did, but I don't, and I'm not going to be having any more whether I like it or not, so there it is. My "babies" are now 11 and almost 9. They're too big for all the cute stuff people make for babies and toddlers and even preschoolers, but, you know, they're still kids. I'd love to have an issue full of cute (but not *too* cute, or they won't go near it) stuff for my bigger boys (and girls, too, but I only have boys). Maybe we could have rules for old-time games that kids used to play back when they didn't have TV and video games and endless cheap plastic marketing tie-ins for the latest movie/video game/pop star/etc and had to come up with their own entertainment. And instructions (in both skilled adult and kid-friendly skill levels) for making old-fashioned toys. Or easy recipes that kids can make themselves (especially if said recipes are dairy, gluten, and corn-free, since my boys are allergic to those things ;-) ). There are several pages in MJ's Ideabook (which I just got the other day - yay!) that cover this topic, including a page full of jump-rope rhymes and a page of rules to old-fashioned, stuff-you-have-around-the-house, no-special-equipment games like tiddlywinks. I showed it to my eldest, and he loved it. He immediately set off hunting for my button collection (which is still MIA - I probably haven't unpacked whichever box it's in yet) so he could play tiddlywinks with his brother. I pointed out that it calls for two teams of two players each, and suggested that we play it at the next Family Game night, so hopefully we'll find the buttons before that. But anyway, I would love to see an issue about Kids, especially if there was stuff in it for big kids too, and not just babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.

Lis
*the Sourceress*
mama to Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Lis, I also go by Liss - that's funny...anyway, I think that's a great idea. A babies/kids book with chapters for baby ideas and info, and chapters for big kid ideas and info. I don't see why not. I think that most of us on here have kids of some age (even if they are grown and on their own by now) and would welcome a simple farmgirl style book on kids. I have a 4 year old and am due to have another in October and as I mentioned before, I have no one to ask about those old-time games, healing practices, recipes, etc. My mother and my husbands mother are the total opposite of crafty and "back to basics" kind of people, so they look at me like I'm nuts when I'm knitting little baby washcloths instead of buying them at Target! I think the joy and the beauty of MJF is that things are homemade, special, simple and from the heart. Sure I could go buy the cheapo washcloths, but every time I use these, I will remember how I sat and knit them thinking about the baby to be. And I know that my daughter loves the washcloths I made for her...even more than the Little Mermaid one she got as a present. Shocking, I know. So I think that there are a great number of us out here that would love to have more ideas/information about MJ inspired farmkids. I love the farmgirl lifestyle and though it has been hard at times to move to a more slow-paced, homemade life (since as I said my mother is SO NOT that way) I wouldn't change this journey for anything. And I'd love for my daughter and baby to grow up knowing this life, not the "I want, I want, I want" life that so many of the little kids we see in the stores have. So next time you look to write a book, MJ, think about the kiddos!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

TiaLD77
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Tia
Punxsutawney PA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  1:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Send TiaLD77 a Yahoo! Message
I will second third & fourth this idea. I am expecting my 1st little one. and am clueless on where to begin. I hate the idea of slathering Chemical compounds all over his tiny bottom. Specially when I know His father and my self both suffer from contact allergies. How do I go about making my own baby food when he gets older? etc....
I know there are tutorials all over the net for this stuff, but I am more inclined to trust it coming from MJB!

Why not go out on a limb? That is where the Fruit is!
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  2:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Tia, if you haven't already be sure check out the parenting and farm kids thread. Lots of useful info there...

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  08:15:17 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea! I agree whole heartedly. Though my baby will be a child by the time any additions come out, it sure would have been helpful.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

houligan19
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

sarah
groton CT
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  7:40:22 PM  Show Profile
I think this would be a great idea. I have a 7 month old baby and have had to look a hundred different places to get any kind of good information about anything. I look everywhere for the "simple" way to raise my baby and find very little. I can't even find any good clothes patterns for her except knit hats. I would definitely like to find some more good home remedies for her so I don't need to ever use pills.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
As a new mother i'd love to see this!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - May 13 2014 :  02:34:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a new mother but now grandchildren have started popping up in our family. I know my newly pregnant niece is constantly asking us for advice and looking at ideas for baby rooms, showers, clothes, toys, etc. I would have loved to have had a book to refer to years ago!
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Babies!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page